BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not for me. We need one wide player to stay wide like Ripley did in the 90's. We dont want to be too narrow

I agree, but who ? It needs to be somebody who can  hug the touchline when we have the ball and give the full back something to think about. Downing's got the brains but his days of running full backs are over I'm afraid unless he has a start. Chapman looked like he had the tools but since we've signed him permanently he's not been in the frame. Holtby's not a winger, neither is Bennett. First requirement of a winger is to be able to cross a ball, Bennett can't. Beckham wasn't quick and you never saw him beat a man on the outside but he knew how to cross a ball and where to cross a ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

But Armstrong is ineffective no matter where he plays almost everytime he plays. 

Width is something that people try to downplay but it is still effective. But Armstrong isnt even a winger, our only winger is the disused Chapman.

wrong Chapman isn't our only winger, as we have Rankin Costello plus Armstrong. 

Chapman performances for under 23's don't warrant a 1st team place in squad. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, but who ? It needs to be somebody who can  hug the touchline when we have the ball and give the full back something to think about. Downing's got the brains but his days of running full backs are over I'm afraid unless he has a start. Chapman looked like he had the tools but since we've signed him permanently he's not been in the frame. Holtby's not a winger, neither is Bennett. First requirement of a winger is to be able to cross a ball, Bennett can't. Beckham wasn't quick and you never saw him beat a man on the outside but he knew how to cross a ball and where to cross a ball.

Bennett could play wide right and Nyambe behind. 

Rankin Costello has played well for under 23's whilst Chapman form for the under 23's doesn't warrant a 1st team place

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Rankin Costello has played well for under 23's whilst Chapman form for the under 23's doesn't warrant a 1st team place

Bennett cant cross a ball to save his life.

From the sound of it no one is playing well for the under 23s at the moment.

Armstrong and Bennett are consistently playing poorly. On one hand you are saying we are 2 or 3 players from being a top 6 contender, then you are advocating playing players who are repeatedly coming up short.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong will never be a winger if he lives to be a thousand.

Selection is tough for this one.

There’s a few people who need to be dropped Bennett, Armstrong, Gallagher.

A few who need dropping but we don’t have anyone else in their position, Walton & Bell.

I felt the balance of the midfield was wrong on Saturday. I don’t think Holtby and Travis make a good pair. So maybe I’d go with

Walton

Nyambe.  Lenihan. Tosin.  Bell 

Travis.   Davenport 

Rothwell.        Dack.         Downing

Graham 

subs: Leutwiler, Bennett, Johnson or Evans, Holtby, Rankin-Costello, Brereton/Armstrong, Gallagher, 

Edited by BlackburnEnd75
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Chapman might not be playing well for the under 23s, but I can’t imagine why he’d be motivated, knowing that Adam Armstrong gets picked for the first team each week, despite rarely doing anything to affect the games.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Chapman might not be playing well for the under 23s, but I can’t imagine why he’d be motivated, knowing that Adam Armstrong gets picked for the first team each week, despite rarely doing anything to affect the games.

I'd be banging on Tony's door begging to be given a chance. He CANNOT do any worse than Armstrong! 

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Selection is tough for this one.

There’s a few people who need to be dropped Bennett, Armstrong, Gallagher.

A few who need dropping but we don’t have anyone else in their position, Walton & Bell.

I felt the balance of the midfield was wrong on Saturday. I don’t think Holtby and Travis make a good pair. So maybe I’d go with

Walton

Nyambe.  Lenihan. Tosin.  Bell 

Travis.   Davenport 

Rothwell.        Dack.         Downing

Graham 

subs: Leutwiler, Bennett, Johnson or Evans, Holtby, Rankin-Costello, Brereton/Armstrong, Gallagher, 

Walton can be dropped. He's no better than Leutweiller and I'm sure Hilton couldn't do any worse.

Lewis Thompson is better than Bell or we could go 3 at the back.

• Like 1

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Walton can be dropped. He's no better than Leutweiller and I'm sure Hilton couldn't do any worse.

Lewis Thompson is better than Bell or we could go 3 at the back.

Leutwiler isn’t better than Walton at all.

ive not seen enough of Lewis Thompson to make a judgement on him starting ahead of bell.

Back 3 is an option for sure. Just hope that JRC is used as a wing back instead of Bennett. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Seen these lads on two or three occasions this season and, IMO, Chapman has far more natural ability and there is a spark and real flair there (and the service he gets at U23 level is in the main shyte and I can understand his frustrations).

Think Chapman needs to be given a run of games at first team level.  He has a natural ability that can't be coached.  He can make things happen. What he does need is supportive and encouraging management and not, IMO, the likes of Mowbray telling him what he can't do.  I would take Chapman playing out wide any day of the week over Gallagher and, IMO, the unskilled, footballing brainless Armstrong.

As for Rankin Costello, think he flatters to deceive.  He's 20 now and should be ripping it up.  IMO, no more than a League One player.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Leutwiler isn’t better than Walton at all.

ive not seen enough of Lewis Thompson to make a judgement on him starting ahead of bell.

Back 3 is an option for sure. Just hope that JRC is used as a wing back instead of Bennett. 

I wouldn't say the Canadian could do any worse than the new Jason Steele. Walton inspires no confidence whatsoever in the defence. So many goals that we concede come from an error by him and defenders losing their players because they are scrambling to get on the line to cover him.

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

Why not play Gallagher as a striker, with Chapman and Armstrong on the wings stretching play and putting the odd cross into the box?

Yeah, yeah. Why don't we all live on the moon.

It is getting to infuriating levels seeing the lineups at 2pm on a Saturday.

Even when we see them, it's never clear cut as to who is playing where.

Chapman must surely offer way more on the wing than Gallagher?

• Like 3