BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Bennett cant cross a ball to save his life.

From the sound of it no one is playing well for the under 23s at the moment.

Armstrong and Bennett are consistently playing poorly. On one hand you are saying we are 2 or 3 players from being a top 6 contender, then you are advocating playing players who are repeatedly coming up short.

Armstrong played 3 different positions omn Saturday and he looks happy on the right. 

For me, hes starts on right wing

43 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Seen these lads on two or three occasions this season and, IMO, Chapman has far more natural ability and there is a spark and real flair there (and the service he gets at U23 level is in the main shyte and I can understand his frustrations).

Think Chapman needs to be given a run of games at first team level.  He has a natural ability that can't be coached.  He can make things happen. What he does need is supportive and encouraging management and not, IMO, the likes of Mowbray telling him what he can't do.  I would take Chapman playing out wide any day of the week over Gallagher and, IMO, the unskilled, footballing brainless Armstrong.

As for Rankin Costello, think he flatters to deceive.  He's 20 now and should be ripping it up.  IMO, no more than a League One player.

Ive seen the under 23's a few times and Rankin Costello has been the standout player and the one who should be in the 1st team squad not Chapman. 

Chapman attitude has been shocking poor and he has underperformed 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Seen these lads on two or three occasions this season and, IMO, Chapman has far more natural ability and there is a spark and real flair there (and the service he gets at U23 level is in the main shyte and I can understand his frustrations).

Think Chapman needs to be given a run of games at first team level.  He has a natural ability that can't be coached.  He can make things happen. What he does need is supportive and encouraging management and not, IMO, the likes of Mowbray telling him what he can't do.  I would take Chapman playing out wide any day of the week over Gallagher and, IMO, the unskilled, footballing brainless Armstrong.

As for Rankin Costello, think he flatters to deceive.  He's 20 now and should be ripping it up.  IMO, no more than a League One player.

If Rankin Costello is a League One player - then Chapman is North West Counties level!  Chapman has been dreadful this season with an attitude that stinks.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

If Rankin Costello is a League One player - then Chapman is North West Counties level!  Chapman has been dreadful this season with an attitude that stinks.  

However, we still need to play with more width for 2 reasons.

1  we need an outlet for when the ball is won in mid or at the back, options are so limited it’s untrue.

2. Playing so narrow is extremely easy to defend against.

Not sure we have the personnel to play there, but it must be tried.  Armstrong not playing very well but has been asked to play all over at the front.  Time to tell him to show some discipline and hug the right touch line, at least until the next window.

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

Couldn't disagree more, but most of the time when I express this opinion I get berated on here. Harry Chapman has evidenced time and time again in the youth team that he's not there yet. He's struggling against young lads, nowhere near showed better promise than someone like JRC or Dan Butterworth and is quite honestly one of the most ball greedy and frustrating players to watch at Leyland. He does have a natural footballing ability, but he also has a natural attitude problem. 

Can't fathom the comments on Joe Rankin-Costello flattering to deceive. The man consistently scores and assists from the wing, sometimes even RWB. He's a consistent performer, and could never be accused of looking like he doesn't give a shit either. He's earned his shot, and just like Travis and Buckley, should and hopefully will get it at some point soon. 

There's no evidence at all that Harry Chapman is better than Adam Armstrong, and I think AA played well up top against Barnsley personally. I think he's much better than Gally, Brereton and Samuel up there, and I don't think Mowbray will be playing Graham from minute 0 anyway.

21 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Couldn't disagree more, but most of the time when I express this opinion I get berated on here. Harry Chapman has evidenced time and time again in the youth team that he's not there yet. He's struggling against young lads, nowhere near showed better promise than someone like JRC or Dan Butterworth and is quite honestly one of the most ball greedy and frustrating players to watch at Leyland. He does have a natural footballing ability, but he also has a natural attitude problem. 

Can't fathom the comments on Joe Rankin-Costello flattering to deceive. The man consistently scores and assists from the wing, sometimes even RWB. He's a consistent performer, and could never be accused of looking like he doesn't give a shit either. He's earned his shot, and just like Travis and Buckley, should and hopefully will get it at some point soon. 

There's no evidence at all that Harry Chapman is better than Adam Armstrong, and I think AA played well up top against Barnsley personally. I think he's much better than Gally, Brereton and Samuel up there, and I don't think Mowbray will be playing Graham from minute 0 anyway.

How could you say that Armstrong played well up front? He broke down nearly every attack by seemingly not understanding the offside rule. To be fair, being better than that trio is nothing to be proud about, Graham should be the first name on the team sheet.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Mercer said:

Spot on, Mercer. What have we got to lose by playing Chapman? Look at Rothwell when he got a run of games towards the back-end of last season. Not saying Chapman will tear it up but we're letting a perfectly good winger go to waste because his face doesn't fit with the manager. 

Edited by Amo
  • Like 1

.                     Leutweiler

Nyambe   Adarabioyo    Lenihan   Bell

Rothwell    Travis   Holtby   Downing

Dack

Graham

Hilton, Bennett, Rankin-Costello, Johnson, Samuel, Brereton, Buckley

Just now, Amo said:

Spot on, Mercer. What have we got to lose by playing Chapman? Look at Rothwell when he got a run of games towards the back-end of last season. Not saying Chapman will tear it up but we're letting a perfectly good winger go to waste because his face doesn't fit with the manager. 

Which fecking eejit bought the lad? Strikes me TM is somewhat schizo and inclined to cut his nose off to spite his loss of face..

• Like 1

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

Which fecking eejit bought the lad? Strikes me TM is somewhat schizo and inclined to cut his nose off to spite his loss of face..

Mowbray has a weird fetish for collecting midfielders. Perhaps he wants to leave Chapman "mint in box"?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

How could you say that Armstrong played well up front? He broke down nearly every attack by seemingly not understanding the offside rule. To be fair, being better than that trio is nothing to be proud about, Graham should be the first name on the team sheet.

Because I think Armstrong has great pace that we can use on the counter, much better versatility and is much more of a proven finisher so far at this club than Gallagher, Brereton and Samuel. I personally WOULD play Danny Graham, but I'm being realistic to what the manager WILL pick. And if its a choice out of the aforementioned four, then Armstrong wins it hands down every day of the week for me.

He's fasted than Gally, Breo and Samuel, he's scored more goals for us, and is much more versatile. It's nothing to be proud of I agree, but besides Graham, who won't be starting games whether you or I like it or not, Arma is the best we've got.

19 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Because I think Armstrong has great pace that we can use on the counter, much better versatility and is much more of a proven finisher so far at this club than Gallagher, Brereton and Samuel. I personally WOULD play Danny Graham, but I'm being realistic to what the manager WILL pick. And if its a choice out of the aforementioned four, then Armstrong wins it hands down every day of the week for me.

He's fasted than Gally, Breo and Samuel, he's scored more goals for us, and is much more versatile. It's nothing to be proud of I agree, but besides Graham, who won't be starting games whether you or I like it or not, Arma is the best we've got.

He lacks intelligence, theres no counter attacking threat if he cant stay onside.

14 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I wouldn't say the Canadian could do any worse than the new Jason Steele. Walton inspires no confidence whatsoever in the defence. So many goals that we concede come from an error by him and defenders losing their players because they are scrambling to get on the line to cover him.

This is another of Mowbrays odd decisions on contracts. At the end of last season he gave Leutwiler a number of games cause he had fallen out with Raya. Ships Raya out in the summer gives L eutwiler another 12 month contract but won't select him even when the on loan Walton is clearly bobbins. He might just as well have let Leutwiler move on and made Fisher the number two keeper. He might then have been able to get one of those two good options he couldn't afford!

Edited by Rogerb
Additional text
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong played 3 different positions omn Saturday and he looks happy on the right. 

For me, hes starts on right wing

Ive seen the under 23's a few times and Rankin Costello has been the standout player and the one who should be in the 1st team squad not Chapman. 

Chapman attitude has been shocking poor and he has underperformed 

I expressed my doubts about Brereton at a very early stage and I think I've been proven to be spot on.  The same goes for Gallagher who I did not want us to sign again - he did not impress me when here on loan initially.  I think I am a reasonable judge of a player.  IMO, Mowbray has dropped two expensive clangers signing those two - make it three if you throw Armstrong into the mix as well.

We are all entitled to an opinion and those are my opinions about Rankin Costello and Chapman.

I have sympathy for Chapman.  I think Mowbray's treatment of him has been shocking - I would be p1ssed off with the club if treated the same way.  When I have seen Chapman in the U23's the service he's received has been sh1te.  I believe there is real talent there, a spark and a flair - it needs to be brought out of him by encouragement and opportunity.  The obvious question is just why oh why did Mowbray sign him.

I contrast Chapman, and his lack of opportunities, with Armstrong who has been given umpteen opportunities - IMO, Armstrong has one asset and that is pace, otherwise, IMO, he's an unskilled player with no football brain.  Potentially, there is a real player there in Chapman who can excite the fans, as for Armstrong, IMO, reminds me of what can be seen on any cold winter's weekend at Pleasington.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I refer you to my response to Chaddyrovers.