BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

Thought old Tone got it right tonight, Rothwell was superb, I really hope this is a start of regular games for him.

Evans and Travis dominated that midfield, thought they played well together.

Only negative being that Bennett will obviously come back in on Saturday.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, OnePhilT said:

On a lesser-note, I wonder what Amari'i is thinking when a 35-yeard old make-shift left-back puts in one performance in that position and produces something far superior to anything that he's ever produced. Downing at left-back might become something of a blessing in disguise for us.

Downing could be 45 and he'd still be better than Bell. The lad is simply not Championship calibre. We need to be looking at moving him on ASAP and bringing in somebody up to standard. He only cost us a few hundred grand so it's not like we need to ask for much, and I can't imagine his wages are anything crazy either. 

On 25/11/2019 at 19:43, Ossydave said:

Pretty sure we will win this one, despite the fact Brentford have scored 3 goals in each of their last 3 away games ?

2-1 Rovers.

We'll then go on to lose 8 in a row or something equally as daft.

Well I hope I don't get the second part right....

It'll be interesting to hear his comments on Bennetts omission tonight, I hope he doesn't say he was a bit unwell or something and it was a genuine move to strengthen the team.

The sitter Rothwell missed could have proven costly bit thankfully didn't. 

Hats off to Evan's, I expect a lot of moans pre match were aimed at him but he got stuck in and did the job in hand.

However you dress it up, great result against the form team in the league.

Tonight's hard work could so easily be undone on Saturday, let's hope the team is the same or at least very similar. 

52 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Very well done to the lads tonight.

Lewis Holtby’s two roulette turns and us keeping the ball in the corner and us attempting to master the dark arts pleased me greatly! 

Oh yes, i would have messed my pants if he somehow bent that into the corner. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Butty said:

Never been less enthused for a game of football in my life. I’ve probably made that statement a few times in the Venkys era but tonight is one of those nights, seems like Tony already has one foot out the door with his recent comments so if we win tonight I’ll be delighted, if we lose tonight and Mowbray goes then that will also do. I’d then be straight on the phone to Gareth Ainsworth begging him to come and take over. 

Well that was worth freezing my nads off for. Fantastic team performance, we outworked them and left nothing out there. Could have had a couple more if we  were more clinical in front of goal but that’s a huge three points. That Brentford keeper is half decent isn’t he? Saturday was a win that left us more skeptical than ever, I’ve been saying Tony’s time is up and I still believe he’s taken us as far as he can, but you can’t argue with that tonight.

• Like 1

Credit definitely due - but as many have said, this is the sort of team selection that we want. Pretty much all players playing in their correct positions and Rothwell and Nyambe starting. I mean choose, Gallagher on the wing or Rothwell? Its a no brainer. 

• Like 2

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I wouldn't say so. Brentford had the same amount of shots on-target as we did (4). A lot of their shots were just hopeful hit-and-hopes - anybody can try a shot from 30-40 yards out if they want.

Based on overall play, we deserved it. And, if I go back to my misguided statistics, we scored more against them at home than the average side does, and conceded over 1.4 goals less than the average team does against them. ?

Am I also allowed to mention that our "hapless" keeper pulled of some really solid saves to keep his clean sheet, whereby our former goalie scapegoat-now-turned-Messiah was 'megged? ?

You have to admit Raya looked impressive. 

• Like 1

Players if your reading! Thanks that is the minimum standard. It’s on you now every week this is what we expect. 

Graham is the player where if you don’t play he loses sharpness and fitness easily but I love this lad. He is Rovers personified 

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Am I also allowed to mention that our "hapless" keeper pulled of some really solid saves to keep his clean sheet, whereby our former goalie scapegoat-now-turned-Messiah was 'megged?

I think I'll count that as the 'flap' I predicted. He just can't deal with those low shots straight at him can he? ?

Just now, Madon said:

Player ratings for this evening

Walton - 10 - Brilliant

Nyambe - 10 - Sensational

Tosin - 10 - Excellent

Lenihan - 10 - first class

Downing - 10 - Exemplary

Evans - 10 - Magnificent

Travis - 10 - Exquisite

Rothwell - 10 - Dazzling

Dack - 10 - Superb

Graham - 10 - invaluable

Rothwell - 10 - Brilliantly sensationally excellently exemplary magnificently exquisitely dazzlingly superbly invaluable first class performance.

What a performance, that was outstanding fair play to every one of them, showed exactly what we're capable of when let off the leash!

That really cheered me up! Well done Madon! 

• Like 1

Good win and performance the kind that should be standard at home with this squad. Had an inkling a side like Brentford as dangerous as they are might just suit us IF the right team was selected, it was.

So much better without a lumbering wide/wing striker we actually had balance and that should be the norm not the one off every 5 or 6 games.

Stop accommodating players and pick a balanced settled side and pissing stick with it even if it turns in the odd bad show.

Balance to the side is everything to this team it allows it to play a bit and let the good players do their thing.

Bennett must stay OUT of the starting 11.

• Like 5

Just now, Madon said:

Player ratings for this evening

Walton - 10 - Brilliant

Nyambe - 10 - Sensational

Tosin - 10 - Excellent

Lenihan - 10 - first class

Downing - 10 - Exemplary

Evans - 10 - Magnificent

Travis - 10 - Exquisite

Rothwell - 10 - Dazzling

Dack - 10 - Superb

Graham - 10 - invaluable

Rothwell - 10 - Brilliantly sensationally excellently exemplary magnificently exquisitely dazzlingly superbly invaluable first class performance.

What a performance, that was outstanding fair play to every one of them, showed exactly what we're capable of when let off the leash!

Excellent, first class dazzling post. Much needed in these darker times. Two times ten for Rothwell as a cherry on a top ?

Edited by Lihamylly
  • Like 1

Far better and more balanced performance tonight. 100 times better than against Barnsley.

So what did we learn tonight? Well not much that we didn’t already know...

- Armstrong out wide instead of on his own in the middle works.

- A proper striker playing up top not out wide works - Gallagher must be fuming.

- A proper right back instead of a midfielder works.

- Armstong and Nyambe can work together.

- Rothwell and Downing can work together.

- Playing Rothwell from the start with a bit of freedom works - although if Mowbray hadn’t dug him out about goals earlier in the week, he might not have overthought his shot. Man of the match again.

- £14m and we are still utterly dependent on Dack for goals.

- Playing Bennett in defence makes us weaker - let’s hope Nyambe isn’t badly injured.

- Lenihan is a far better captain that Bennett.

- Brereton isn’t a pro athlete let alone a footballer - has he even been working on his game while he has been out? Can’t run, win the ball, or even get close to it. I don’t remember him touching the ball in the time he was on the pitch.

All of the things we have been asking for from Mowbray were in that starting line up. But his tombola machine will strike again in no time.

Three home wins in a row should be a cause for some optimism but I’ve no faith that he will stick with our best side or improve it with astute recruitment in January. He needs to show something in the next five games that he has learned and he is going to have faith in his best players rather than his favourite or longest serving. More changes for the sake of it and we are back to square one.

Over to you Tony.

• Like 6

Just now, Stuart said:

Far better and more balanced performance tonight. 100 times better than against Barnsley.

So what did we learn tonight? Well not much that we didn’t already know...

- Armstrong out wide instead of on his own in the middle works.

- A proper striker playing up top not out wide works - Gallagher must be fuming.

- A proper right back instead of a midfielder works.

- Armstong and Nyambe can work together.

- Rothwell and Downing can work together.

- Playing Rothwell from the start with a bit of freedom works - although if Mowbray hadn’t dug him out about goals earlier in the week, he might not have overthought his shot. Man of the match again.

- £14m and we are still utterly dependent on Dack for goals.

- Playing Bennett in defence makes us weaker - let’s hope Nyambe isn’t badly injured.

- Lenihan is a far better captain that Bennett.

- Brereton isn’t a pro athlete let alone a footballer - has he even been working on his game while he has been out? Can’t run, win the ball, or even get close to it. I don’t remember him touching the ball in the time he was on the pitch.

All of the things we have been asking for from Mowbray were in that starting line up. But his tombola machine will strike again in no time.

Three home wins in a row should be a cause for some optimism but I’ve no faith that he will stick with our best side or improve it with astute recruitment in January. He needs to show something in the next five games that he has learned and he is going to have faith in his best players rather than his favourite or longest serving. More changes for the sake of it and we are back to square one.

Over to you Tony.

Absolutely spot on! 

Nail on head.

Hopefully Tony will see this, I said to my two boys at the start of the game, this team could see us progress well..

If we can recruit a proper GK, a CB (because Tosin is not long term) and a ST then we could be a real team.

So sad we have wasted £12m on those two, indefensible really!  Brereton was utterly useless when he came on, about as strong as a leaf.. my oh my what could have been eh! 

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Good win and performance the kind that should be standard at home with this squad. Had an inkling a side like Brentford as dangerous as they are might just suit us IF the right team was selected, it was.

So much better without a lumbering wide/wing striker we actually had balance and that should be the norm not the one off every 5 or 6 games.

Stop accommodating players and pick a balanced settled side and pissing stick with it even if it turns in the odd bad show.

Balance to the side is everything to this team it allows it to play a bit and let the good players do their thing.

Bennett must stay OUT of the starting 11.

Unfortunately Nyambe went off injured when he had played well. 

Just now, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Absolutely spot on! 

Nail on head.

Hopefully Tony will see this, I said to my two boys at the start of the game, this team could see us progress well..

If we can recruit a proper GK, a CB (because Tosin is not long term) and a ST then we could be a real team.

So sad we have wasted £12m on those two, indefensible really!  Brereton was utterly useless when he came on, about as strong as a leaf.. my oh my what could have been eh! 

No pace no upper body strength and poor touch. We've paid for potential lol

• Like 1

Just now, Gary C said:

Unfortunately Nyambe went off injured when he had played well. 

There should be proper back up for him on the bench but aside from that this is what Bennett should be doing. Utility bench man able to come on and do a job in a number of positions but back on there next match injuries permitting. 

• Like 5

Superb win, fair play to Mowbray I criticise him often but he got it right tonight so its only fair to praise him.

Stand out was Corry Evans for me, I wouldnt have played him but he was superb. Not sure I can name any of the starters as having a bad game. Graham is a little rusty but I think we are a different team with him as a focal point, holds it up so well. That front 4 played like it did at the end of last season, both wide men were constant threats. Dack as always is our goal threat, suggestions of dropping him look sillier by the game. Downing is a potential weakness at left back but he did really well. Nyambe a vast improvement on Bennett as we would expect, Travis very good with Evans and both centre backs solid.

• Like 6

In the interests of fairness it's only right that Mowbray deserves some real credit for tonights win. I was certain that we would press high up to stop Brentford playing out from the back but we let them and pressed in midfield. They didn't really get their passing game going which really hurt them.

We were good all over the pitch and the tempo was much better than of late with some (at last) balance to the team. Rothwell showed what he has been promising for ages and it's a while since we had a player running (and beating) opponents using sheer pace. He simply has to start on Saturday.

Happy with six points out of six but my feet are firmly planted on the ground.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

I wouldn't say so. Brentford had the same amount of shots on-target as we did (4). A lot of their shots were just hopeful hit-and-hopes - anybody can try a shot from 30-40 yards out if they want.

Based on overall play, we deserved it. And, if I go back to my misguided statistics, we scored more against them at home than the average side does, and conceded over 1.4 goals less than the average team does against them. ?

Am I also allowed to mention that our "hapless" keeper pulled of some really solid saves to keep his clean sheet, whereby our former goalie scapegoat-now-turned-Messiah was 'megged? ?

I think it's fair to point out that firstly, the people who scapegoated Raya and the people who are now putting him on a pedestal are, at least for the huge majority, not the same sets of people. The ones who keep harping on about him now are the ones who liked him before and wanted us to keep him.

Also, Raya's was the more impressive performance tonight, hands down. Walton wasn't particularly tested. He held that one well that was driven straight at him though. Raya's save from Armstrong (the second one) was the type Walton just isn't capable of.

• Like 7

i hope mowbray has now seen what a balanced side,with players in their rightful positions can do,this might be his epiphany,just worried about who will play up front on saturday,don`t think graham can do two games in a week,not sure how injured gallagher is,that leaves brereton,nothing against the lad,but iv`e never seen a profesional footballer look so lacking in everything or armstrong??

• Like 2