BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

10 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Well I hope I don't get the second part right....

It'll be interesting to hear his comments on Bennetts omission tonight, I hope he doesn't say he was a bit unwell or something and it was a genuine move to strengthen the team.

I suspect he was taken out to avoid Benrahma roasting him like last season. Can't have golden boy getting torn to pieces like that again, he'd be unpickable going forward. Not that that has stopped Tony before of course, but he won't want to see pressure build on Bennett.

Cracking result tonight that you wouldn't see coming...which is exactly why, as Rovers fans, we should have all seen it coming. On a great run? We'll end that. On a terrible run? We'll end that for you too.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Echo the comments about Mowbray, pressure could have been on tonight and not many welcomed the inclusion of Evans but he was brilliant and allowed others to excel in their jobs 

I thought Mowbray was a little too slow to make changes but you can understand the apprehension there 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Before everyone gets too carried away I would say the lack of pressure from Brentford was a big factor in our success. It'll be a totally different kettle of fish against a physical quick moving side.

Aye, I was surprised how slowly they worked the ball, and how much space they allowed us. It was almost the opposite of Barnsley, who might be shite but worked us hard and allowed us a lot less room.

Great wibn. Very critical of TM of late but that was a big step in the right performance and a good balanced team. Whilst I personally perhaps wouldn't put Evans or Armstrong in the team, tonight showed that we can do well even with more limited players if they have the right roles and the team has a good balance. They might even, like tonight, make a good account of themselves. 

For me 3 selection choices made a huge difference: no Bennett, Williams and Gally all of whom aren't really good enough in their preferred positions and don't offer much. Get them out and other players in their position who can do a job and no surprise we improve. 

I also think 2 defensive mids makes a huge difference. It frees up Travis a bit to rampage forwards plus takes some of the defensive duties off him. Along with full backs who can defend and link up players who can actually do their roles makes a massive difference to the team. 

Long term there are still a load of questions - not least how come it has taken so long to get here - but for today we can celebrate our first proper step forward in what seems like ages. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Husky said:

The team that was picked tonight was basically one most fans would have chosen, given what's available - kind of how a stopped clock is right 1 time in every 24, it was Tony's Tombola's Turn Tonight. Here's to the 3 points and the alliteration.   

Twice in every 24 hours

• Like 1

Excellent win and a very good performance.  Mowbray deserves praise for getting his selection and tactics spot on.  I thought we had a decent spine to the team tonight with Graham and Dack up front and Evans alongside Travis in midfield.  With Armstrong and Rothwell adding width, we looked far better balanced than we have for some time.  Pity Nyambe picked up an injury because I thought he was outstanding.

Graham and Dack again showed that they are the strike partnership we need to start with and introduce Gallagher - if we must - for the last twenty minutes or so.

Raya showed just what we are missing between the sticks and a new 'keeper must be a priority in January.  As for Brereton - what can you say - a comedy turn for the last few minutes.  Feel sorry for the lad but he is clearly not up to it and really doesn't look like he ever will be.

Brentford are no mugs and for me it was a thoroughly enjoyable game of football although the ref was up to the usual poor standard.

• Like 5

Brilliant outstanding performance by the players. We played right from the first whistle to the last. We kept it simple at the back. 

Rothwell was outstanding tonight. Armstrong was class and defending very well. Travis and Evans were excellent in centre mid. Back 4 solid aswell. Lenihan lead the team superb. 

Special credit to Mowbray. Got his team selection spot on and tactics. More of the same please. 3 home wins in row. 

Same team for Saturday please

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Before everyone gets too carried away I would say the lack of pressure from Brentford was a big factor in our success. It'll be a totally different kettle of fish against a physical quick moving side.

I was just about to post something similar. I'm more afraid of playing against the more direct sides that quickly get the ball in and around the box . . .and actually shoot on target.

I wish we could play every week against these soft teams that ticky tacky in the middle of the pitch and their own half for most of the game and then spunk over their possession stats.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 6

Really enjoyed that. Thought we were better than Brentford, who are a very good side, on the night and thoroughly deserved the win.

Graham needs to play. He does what he does so well and gives the three behind him so much freedom. I’m not a huge fan of Evans, but I thought he did great tonight. Rothwell was fantastic. Really ought to have scored but aside from that a near flawless performance. Nyambe going off injures was a bit of a gut punch, hope he’s back soon because there really ought not to be any question about who is our best right back. Downing proving to be a really shrewd signing. Armstrong still frustrates the hell out of me, but on the whole tonight was one of his better days. Would prefer a proper winger out there though.

We also seemed to get the rub of the green today, the ball bounced kindly a few times and their shooting wasn’t quite there, but you make your own luck and I felt the performance definitely warranted a win.

Sad seeing Raya playing for another team. Was never in favour of him being sold, and tonight just reaffirmed that.

When Brereton makes these cameos it’s like watching soccer aid when Les Ferdinand goes off for Paddy McGuiness. Criminally bad signing.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 4

Miles better that was. Absolutely miles better. We looked a completely different team to the dour, uninspiring outfit we’ve become accustomed to seeing at Ewood.

Rothwell superb. Cannot believe we’ve had a player as good as he is on our bench most weeks for the past season and half.

Haven't seen him mentioned much but well done to Tosin whose composure and use of the ball is excellent for a centre back.

Will Mowbray learn from this? Will Rothwell become a permanent fixture in the starting eleven now? Will Nyambe get more of a look in? (I’d have Nyambe starting every game but I can’t see him having Bennett on the bench much). Let’s hope so but proof will be in the next few line ups.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 4

Feel much better tonight after a good win and good performance. Despite the win on Saturday there was a lot to be concerned about. Tonight was a dramatic turnaround with what I feel was the best team performance of the season. A huge effort from all the team. Could have been more comfortable but we defended well.

Thought the referee was a disgrace.

I'm not getting into the managerial debate as one swallow does not make a summer. He got it right tonight and deserves credit. The key is to find a way to build on this rather than go back to the dreariness of the season so far.

Points up for grabs in games v struggling Stoke and Derby.

• Like 4

Not said this for a long time, and I'm fairly worried it will be redundant come Saturday at 2:10pm, but "fair play Tony."

Who knew that by starting your best RB, LW and CF that you would improve the team so much. Bit of a "gamble" starting Evans, but I thought he played well, as did the XI. Nyambe was everything a RB should be, and Rothwell is just another level at times.

As for Raya, was pleased with his performance, he is clearly much better coached at Brentford (shock!), and he kept it at 1-0 with some great saves and general reading of danger... also, I counted zero shit kicks. 100% mistake forcing him out end of last season.

Shame Tony hasn't yet realised that good coaches make good/promising players better.

But tonight, was progress ?

• Like 3

Good win and some nice football in patches.  Personally thought Armstrong was disappointing again, yet others thought  he did well.  I'd like to see Rothwell, Dack and Holtby start behind Graham.  That would be interesting.

Armstrong is best off bench for me.  

Very impressed with Toisin's passing and thought midfield pair did well.  Rothwell standout performer, shame he didn't bury that chance. Fair play to TM, good first 11 and subs

28 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Far better and more balanced performance tonight. 100 times better than against Barnsley.

So what did we learn tonight? Well not much that we didn’t already know...

- Armstrong out wide instead of on his own in the middle works.

- A proper striker playing up top not out wide works - Gallagher must be fuming.

- A proper right back instead of a midfielder works.

- Armstong and Nyambe can work together.

- Rothwell and Downing can work together.

- Playing Rothwell from the start with a bit of freedom works - although if Mowbray hadn’t dug him out about goals earlier in the week, he might not have overthought his shot. Man of the match again.

- £14m and we are still utterly dependent on Dack for goals.

- Playing Bennett in defence makes us weaker - let’s hope Nyambe isn’t badly injured.

- Lenihan is a far better captain that Bennett.

- Brereton isn’t a pro athlete let alone a footballer - has he even been working on his game while he has been out? Can’t run, win the ball, or even get close to it. I don’t remember him touching the ball in the time he was on the pitch.

All of the things we have been asking for from Mowbray were in that starting line up. But his tombola machine will strike again in no time.

Three home wins in a row should be a cause for some optimism but I’ve no faith that he will stick with our best side or improve it with astute recruitment in January. He needs to show something in the next five games that he has learned and he is going to have faith in his best players rather than his favourite or longest serving. More changes for the sake of it and we are back to square one.

Over to you Tony.

I’m sure one day, Stuart, you will take it on yourself to give our manager a little bit of credit for actually winning a football match!

Your extremely condescending comments that he is finally doing what you want in terms of selection and tactics does you no favours.

Your description of “ tombola Tony” is rather insulting. He and his staff plan each game using the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition and Stoke away may well see changes.

Let’s enjoy tonight. I am still optimistic about our season.

• Like 2

I thought that was a bit of a tonking.

Graham and Rothwell missed absolute sitters. Dack should have done better with his header and Raya pulled off two very good saves from Armstrong.

I hope Mowbray doesn't change the team too much for the weekend - the only changes should be for fatigue and injuries.

Bit bored of the Tony Tombola chat, can that go to bed now?

Nyambe was sensational against one of the best players in the league, hope he is okay for Sat.

Rothwell first name on the teamsheet. Tosin superb too.

Performance was night and day compared to the pish we watched on Saturday. We actually killed off a game for once.

Edited by Fraserkirky

Round pegs in round holes. What a good solid performance that was; a balanced team. Every player played well including Brereton who did his share when he came on. If Tony can keep selecting teams like this I may just change my mind about him.

Nyambe should be fit for Saturday. He went off with cramp. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

When Brereton makes these cameos it’s like watching soccer aid when Les Ferdinand goes off for Paddy McGuiness. Criminally bad signing.

I did cringe every time he instantly lost the ball again. ?

Thank the footballing God we managed to keep him away from it during the 5 minutes of stoppage time. He just hasn't got anything and with all we know about our coaching set-up he's unlikely to improve. HELP!  SOS Francis Jeffers.