BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It makes no sense to keep altering the line up, we have to strive for consistency. We need to focus more on what we are good at. Obviously be mindful of specific opposition strengths and weaknesses but look at what we are good at. Try to develop a partnership between the 2 centre backs. Apparently Evans and Travis partnership has played together 11 times and we have from those games 25 points according to the Lancashire Telegraph, as you mentioned they have to play. Dack and Graham is the strikeforce that works, have partnerships right through the spine. Rothwell and Armstrong running at full backs. 

As I just said, it does make sense to me though. This division isn't simple. Teams like Stoke are completely different beats to Brentford. They won't fanny around at the back like the Bees did, they'll be lumping the ball into big forwards, lumping free-kicks into the box etc. Personally I'd be making sure Darragh, Tosin and Derrick where all on the pitch for this one. I did like Downing at LB, but that's not going to work for me against a physical side like Stoke who are just going to pummel the box. I'm not saying change everything, I think the Travis and Evans midfield was great and should stay, and if he's able to I think Graham should start to.

But it's naive to say "it makes no sense to keep altering the line up". We don't have a strong enough starting eleven to be able to play the same way every game like Leeds, West Brom and Fulham. We have to play to our opponents, ESPECIALLY away from home. If we had the Derby game on Saturday I'd be saying absolutely retain the same XI, but not away at the Bet365 Stadium against a Stoke side in decent form, who will give much different challenges than Brentford.

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Williams

Travis Evans

Holtby Dack Rothwell

Graham

Is probably what I'd go for.

Arma played well vs the Bees but I think this is very much a Graham and Dack type game, expecting a very League One style affair, with lots of header back to the half way line from each defence. Evans man marking Nick Powell out of the game, Travis and Holtby as box to box midfielders getting up and down, Dack and Rothwell rotating around Graham, and if not fit, Gallagher. Williams back in at Left-Back for some more physicality against the likes of Lee Gregory who's a handful. 

Just now, JoeH said:

As I just said, it does make sense to me though. This division isn't simple. Teams like Stoke are completely different beats to Brentford. They won't fanny around at the back like the Bees did, they'll be lumping the ball into big forwards, lumping free-kicks into the box etc. Personally I'd be making sure Darragh, Tosin and Derrick where all on the pitch for this one. I did like Downing at LB, but that's not going to work for me against a physical side like Stoke who are just going to pummel the box. I'm not saying change everything, I think the Travis and Evans midfield was great and should stay, and if he's able to I think Graham should start to.

But it's naive to say "it makes no sense to keep altering the line up". We don't have a strong enough starting eleven to be able to play the same way every game like Leeds, West Brom and Fulham. We have to play to our opponents, ESPECIALLY away from home. If we had the Derby game on Saturday I'd be saying absolutely retain the same XI, but not away at the Bet365 Stadium against a Stoke side in decent form, who will give much different challenges than Brentford.

Walton

Travis Evans

Holtby Dack Rothwell

Graham

Arma played well vs the Bees but I think this is very much a Graham and Dack type game, expecting a very League One style affair, with lots of header back to the half way line from each defence. Evans man marking Nick Powell out of the game, Travis and Holtby as box to box midfielders getting up and down, Dack and Rothwell rotating around Graham, and if not fit, Gallagher. Williams back in at Left-Back for some more physicality against the likes of Lee Gregory who's a handful. 

Won 2 & lost 4 of their last 6. 6 points out of 18 on offer. Tony is that you???

• Like 1

Great win yesterday and from what i hear it was a very good performance. I anticipated a defeat so happy to proved wrong. 

It goes to show under the right circumstances we have a good team. Is Mowbray the right man? Well i am still in debate and think a new voice could be good however, should this be signs that he learning then fantastic. I think regardless a good no-nonsense defender by Lenihan side will be great. I like Nyambe and always have and think he is the long term replacement for that position. We do need a LB and i do like Cunningham even though he is out injured. 

Gallagher i really believe can be a great asset but in the past has been left too isolated due to the team selection. Holtby, Dack, Travis, Armstrong, Evans is a solid midfield for me. 

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

I think it’s more that ‘possession’ as a stat is nonsense. Teams have been more than happy to let us play keepball for weeks as long as we do nothing useful with it.

Let’s hope Mowbray has turned a corner.

Yes, you're right it is the 'possession' stat which is nonsense and also very subjective. Corners, fouls, shots etc. are difficult to argue with.

As for Tony? We shall see.

• Like 1

When Gallagher was decent for us, it was usually in a front two. We obviously do not play that way anymore with Dack almost being a midfielder just with license to support the front man. AA as well seems to be from the old school days of a front two. Perhaps together they could form a decent little and large act but football is not like that these days. Dack is our main man and we play to his strengths.

i just hope that we have seen the last of Gallagher on the wings (wide forward/inverted winger/inside forward etc etc). He should be back up to DG and BB should be out on loan somewhere. We have enough players to cover those advanced roles without having to put a 6ft striker out there. It has not worked anyhow and is not going to help these guys confidence. 

AA has shown some value wide at least because of his pace - I just do not see what Gallagher really offers there. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

That was the best goal we’ve scored at Ewood for a very very long time

EFL on Quest didn't show the whole build up. My grandson, who was watching the game on ifollow, sent me a video of it on WhatsApp. It starts with us winning the ball in our right back position. All our players are so eager, helping each other out, reminded me of England away to Spain in Seville last November when we went 3-0 up.

That was a fabulous team goal and is a contender for Rovers goal of the season.

5 hours ago, Nelsonthedog said:

SG is never gonna be Graham's replacement without getting the chance. We have to keep putting him in there.

SG? For one silly moment I thought you were referring to Simon Garner,?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

May be in the minority but I’d like to see brereton up top for a decent run out. 
cant imagine graham and downing both playing another 90 after last night 

I agree. Like it or not we have to try and get something from him after we blew a fortune. He needs to start for us as a striker, anything else isn’t being fair to him or making the best use of our resources. If he’s not up to this then he needs to be loaned out ASAP, in an effort to build his confidence and either return to us or get himself a move elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Just now, bazza said:

EFL on Quest didn't show the whole build up. My grandson, who was watching the game on ifollow, sent me a video of it on WhatsApp. It starts with us winning the ball in our right back position. All our players are so eager, helping each other out, reminded me of England away to Spain in Seville last November when we went 3-0 up.

That was a fabulous team goal and is a contender for Rovers goal of the season.

SG? For one silly moment I thought you were referring to Simon Garner,?

It reminded me of Peterborough away in League 1 that also ended with Dacky scoring. 

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

I agree. Like it or not we have to try and get something from him after we blew a fortune. He needs to start for us as a striker, anything else isn’t being fair to him or making the best use of our resources. If he’s not up to this then he needs to be loaned out ASAP, in an effort to build his confidence and either return to us or get himself a move elsewhere. 

He desperately needs to go on loan. Fleetwood, Blackpool or another localish team. As long as he is getting game time as a striker in hope of him finding some type of form and confidence to bring back with him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Won 2 & lost 4 of their last 6. 6 points out of 18 on offer. Tony is that you???

They're playing loads better than 2nd bottom under a new manager who has them fired up. A different side to the side most have faced against Stoke this year, and will not be an easy game.

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

He desperately needs to go on loan. Fleetwood, Blackpool or another localish team. As long as he is getting game time as a striker in hope of him finding some type of form and confidence to bring back with him.

Isn`t that why he initially joined us a couple of years back on loan?

43 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Yea but he was scoring in pre season and then unfortunately got an injury at the start of the season that kept him out, it’s unfair to judge him until he is played in the position that he was signed to play. I get that it’s on mowbray for playing him out wide but give the lad a chance, who knows he might just impress. We have Paid the money so we need to try and get some return, either in goals or a transfer elsewhere. Allowing him to rot in reserves or lower league does nobody any favours

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

Walton

Travis Evans

Holtby Dack Rothwell

Graham

But our performance last night was very good, the side was well balanced and everyone was 7 out of 10 minimum. Why break it up and change it? Mowbray has often over compensated for his opposition at the cost of our own strengths. Armstrong can run at Stephen Ward and Downing linked up very well with Rothwell down the left.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

But our performance last night was very good, the side was well balanced and everyone was 7 out of 10 minimum. Why break it up and change it? Mowbray has often over compensated for his opposition at the cost of our own strengths. Armstrong can run at Stephen Ward and Downing linked up very well with Rothwell down the left.

Play the same team. Simple as