Sign in to follow this  
MCMC1875

Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Am I also allowed to mention that our "hapless" keeper pulled of some really solid saves to keep his clean sheet, whereby our former goalie scapegoat-now-turned-Messiah was 'megged😁

I think I'll count that as the 'flap' I predicted. He just can't deal with those low shots straight at him can he? 😋

Just now, Madon said:

Player ratings for this evening

Walton - 10 - Brilliant

Nyambe - 10 - Sensational

Tosin - 10 - Excellent

Lenihan - 10 - first class

Downing - 10 - Exemplary

Evans - 10 - Magnificent

Travis - 10 - Exquisite

Rothwell - 10 - Dazzling

Dack - 10 - Superb

Graham - 10 - invaluable

Rothwell - 10 - Brilliantly sensationally excellently exemplary magnificently exquisitely dazzlingly superbly invaluable first class performance.

What a performance, that was outstanding fair play to every one of them, showed exactly what we're capable of when let off the leash!

That really cheered me up! Well done Madon! 

Good win and performance the kind that should be standard at home with this squad. Had an inkling a side like Brentford as dangerous as they are might just suit us IF the right team was selected, it was.

So much better without a lumbering wide/wing striker we actually had balance and that should be the norm not the one off every 5 or 6 games.

Stop accommodating players and pick a balanced settled side and pissing stick with it even if it turns in the odd bad show.

Balance to the side is everything to this team it allows it to play a bit and let the good players do their thing.

Bennett must stay OUT of the starting 11.

Just now, Madon said:

Player ratings for this evening

Walton - 10 - Brilliant

Nyambe - 10 - Sensational

Tosin - 10 - Excellent

Lenihan - 10 - first class

Downing - 10 - Exemplary

Evans - 10 - Magnificent

Travis - 10 - Exquisite

Rothwell - 10 - Dazzling

Dack - 10 - Superb

Graham - 10 - invaluable

Rothwell - 10 - Brilliantly sensationally excellently exemplary magnificently exquisitely dazzlingly superbly invaluable first class performance.

What a performance, that was outstanding fair play to every one of them, showed exactly what we're capable of when let off the leash!

Excellent, first class dazzling post. Much needed in these darker times. Two times ten for Rothwell as a cherry on a top 😃

Edited by Lihamylly

Far better and more balanced performance tonight. 100 times better than against Barnsley.

So what did we learn tonight? Well not much that we didn’t already know...

- Armstrong out wide instead of on his own in the middle works.

- A proper striker playing up top not out wide works - Gallagher must be fuming.

- A proper right back instead of a midfielder works.

- Armstong and Nyambe can work together.

- Rothwell and Downing can work together.

- Playing Rothwell from the start with a bit of freedom works - although if Mowbray hadn’t dug him out about goals earlier in the week, he might not have overthought his shot. Man of the match again.

- £14m and we are still utterly dependent on Dack for goals.

- Playing Bennett in defence makes us weaker - let’s hope Nyambe isn’t badly injured.

- Lenihan is a far better captain that Bennett.

- Brereton isn’t a pro athlete let alone a footballer - has he even been working on his game while he has been out? Can’t run, win the ball, or even get close to it. I don’t remember him touching the ball in the time he was on the pitch.

All of the things we have been asking for from Mowbray were in that starting line up. But his tombola machine will strike again in no time.

Three home wins in a row should be a cause for some optimism but I’ve no faith that he will stick with our best side or improve it with astute recruitment in January. He needs to show something in the next five games that he has learned and he is going to have faith in his best players rather than his favourite or longest serving. More changes for the sake of it and we are back to square one.

Over to you Tony.

Before everyone gets too carried away I would say the lack of pressure from Brentford was a big factor in our success. It'll be a totally different kettle of fish against a physical quick moving side.

Just now, Stuart said:

Far better and more balanced performance tonight. 100 times better than against Barnsley.

So what did we learn tonight? Well not much that we didn’t already know...

- Armstrong out wide instead of on his own in the middle works.

- A proper striker playing up top not out wide works - Gallagher must be fuming.

- A proper right back instead of a midfielder works.

- Armstong and Nyambe can work together.

- Rothwell and Downing can work together.

- Playing Rothwell from the start with a bit of freedom works - although if Mowbray hadn’t dug him out about goals earlier in the week, he might not have overthought his shot. Man of the match again.

- £14m and we are still utterly dependent on Dack for goals.

- Playing Bennett in defence makes us weaker - let’s hope Nyambe isn’t badly injured.

- Lenihan is a far better captain that Bennett.

- Brereton isn’t a pro athlete let alone a footballer - has he even been working on his game while he has been out? Can’t run, win the ball, or even get close to it. I don’t remember him touching the ball in the time he was on the pitch.

All of the things we have been asking for from Mowbray were in that starting line up. But his tombola machine will strike again in no time.

Three home wins in a row should be a cause for some optimism but I’ve no faith that he will stick with our best side or improve it with astute recruitment in January. He needs to show something in the next five games that he has learned and he is going to have faith in his best players rather than his favourite or longest serving. More changes for the sake of it and we are back to square one.

Over to you Tony.

Absolutely spot on! 

Nail on head.

Hopefully Tony will see this, I said to my two boys at the start of the game, this team could see us progress well..

If we can recruit a proper GK, a CB (because Tosin is not long term) and a ST then we could be a real team.

So sad we have wasted £12m on those two, indefensible really!  Brereton was utterly useless when he came on, about as strong as a leaf.. my oh my what could have been eh! 

Just now, tomphil said:

Good win and performance the kind that should be standard at home with this squad. Had an inkling a side like Brentford as dangerous as they are might just suit us IF the right team was selected, it was.

So much better without a lumbering wide/wing striker we actually had balance and that should be the norm not the one off every 5 or 6 games.

Stop accommodating players and pick a balanced settled side and pissing stick with it even if it turns in the odd bad show.

Balance to the side is everything to this team it allows it to play a bit and let the good players do their thing.

Bennett must stay OUT of the starting 11.

Unfortunately Nyambe went off injured when he had played well. 

Just now, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Absolutely spot on! 

Nail on head.

Hopefully Tony will see this, I said to my two boys at the start of the game, this team could see us progress well..

If we can recruit a proper GK, a CB (because Tosin is not long term) and a ST then we could be a real team.

So sad we have wasted £12m on those two, indefensible really!  Brereton was utterly useless when he came on, about as strong as a leaf.. my oh my what could have been eh! 

No pace no upper body strength and poor touch. We've paid for potential lol

Just now, Gary C said:

Unfortunately Nyambe went off injured when he had played well. 

There should be proper back up for him on the bench but aside from that this is what Bennett should be doing. Utility bench man able to come on and do a job in a number of positions but back on there next match injuries permitting. 

Superb win, fair play to Mowbray I criticise him often but he got it right tonight so its only fair to praise him.

Stand out was Corry Evans for me, I wouldnt have played him but he was superb. Not sure I can name any of the starters as having a bad game. Graham is a little rusty but I think we are a different team with him as a focal point, holds it up so well. That front 4 played like it did at the end of last season, both wide men were constant threats. Dack as always is our goal threat, suggestions of dropping him look sillier by the game. Downing is a potential weakness at left back but he did really well. Nyambe a vast improvement on Bennett as we would expect, Travis very good with Evans and both centre backs solid.

In the interests of fairness it's only right that Mowbray deserves some real credit for tonights win. I was certain that we would press high up to stop Brentford playing out from the back but we let them and pressed in midfield. They didn't really get their passing game going which really hurt them.

We were good all over the pitch and the tempo was much better than of late with some (at last) balance to the team. Rothwell showed what he has been promising for ages and it's a while since we had a player running (and beating) opponents using sheer pace. He simply has to start on Saturday.

Happy with six points out of six but my feet are firmly planted on the ground.

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

I wouldn't say so. Brentford had the same amount of shots on-target as we did (4). A lot of their shots were just hopeful hit-and-hopes - anybody can try a shot from 30-40 yards out if they want.

Based on overall play, we deserved it. And, if I go back to my misguided statistics, we scored more against them at home than the average side does, and conceded over 1.4 goals less than the average team does against them. 🤓

Am I also allowed to mention that our "hapless" keeper pulled of some really solid saves to keep his clean sheet, whereby our former goalie scapegoat-now-turned-Messiah was 'megged? 😁

I think it's fair to point out that firstly, the people who scapegoated Raya and the people who are now putting him on a pedestal are, at least for the huge majority, not the same sets of people. The ones who keep harping on about him now are the ones who liked him before and wanted us to keep him.

Also, Raya's was the more impressive performance tonight, hands down. Walton wasn't particularly tested. He held that one well that was driven straight at him though. Raya's save from Armstrong (the second one) was the type Walton just isn't capable of.

i hope mowbray has now seen what a balanced side,with players in their rightful positions can do,this might be his epiphany,just worried about who will play up front on saturday,don`t think graham can do two games in a week,not sure how injured gallagher is,that leaves brereton,nothing against the lad,but iv`e never seen a profesional footballer look so lacking in everything or armstrong??

Sponsor
10 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Well I hope I don't get the second part right....

It'll be interesting to hear his comments on Bennetts omission tonight, I hope he doesn't say he was a bit unwell or something and it was a genuine move to strengthen the team.

I suspect he was taken out to avoid Benrahma roasting him like last season. Can't have golden boy getting torn to pieces like that again, he'd be unpickable going forward. Not that that has stopped Tony before of course, but he won't want to see pressure build on Bennett.

Cracking result tonight that you wouldn't see coming...which is exactly why, as Rovers fans, we should have all seen it coming. On a great run? We'll end that. On a terrible run? We'll end that for you too.

Echo the comments about Mowbray, pressure could have been on tonight and not many welcomed the inclusion of Evans but he was brilliant and allowed others to excel in their jobs 

I thought Mowbray was a little too slow to make changes but you can understand the apprehension there 

On 24/11/2019 at 21:34, simongarnerisgod said:

if we get through wednesday night without conceding i will personally run up livesey branch road naked😆

There I was on Livesey not a bare arse in sight

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Before everyone gets too carried away I would say the lack of pressure from Brentford was a big factor in our success. It'll be a totally different kettle of fish against a physical quick moving side.

Aye, I was surprised how slowly they worked the ball, and how much space they allowed us. It was almost the opposite of Barnsley, who might be shite but worked us hard and allowed us a lot less room.

Great wibn. Very critical of TM of late but that was a big step in the right performance and a good balanced team. Whilst I personally perhaps wouldn't put Evans or Armstrong in the team, tonight showed that we can do well even with more limited players if they have the right roles and the team has a good balance. They might even, like tonight, make a good account of themselves. 

For me 3 selection choices made a huge difference: no Bennett, Williams and Gally all of whom aren't really good enough in their preferred positions and don't offer much. Get them out and other players in their position who can do a job and no surprise we improve. 

I also think 2 defensive mids makes a huge difference. It frees up Travis a bit to rampage forwards plus takes some of the defensive duties off him. Along with full backs who can defend and link up players who can actually do their roles makes a massive difference to the team. 

Long term there are still a load of questions - not least how come it has taken so long to get here - but for today we can celebrate our first proper step forward in what seems like ages. 

34 minutes ago, Husky said:

The team that was picked tonight was basically one most fans would have chosen, given what's available - kind of how a stopped clock is right 1 time in every 24, it was Tony's Tombola's Turn Tonight. Here's to the 3 points and the alliteration.   

Twice in every 24 hours

Excellent win and a very good performance.  Mowbray deserves praise for getting his selection and tactics spot on.  I thought we had a decent spine to the team tonight with Graham and Dack up front and Evans alongside Travis in midfield.  With Armstrong and Rothwell adding width, we looked far better balanced than we have for some time.  Pity Nyambe picked up an injury because I thought he was outstanding.

Graham and Dack again showed that they are the strike partnership we need to start with and introduce Gallagher - if we must - for the last twenty minutes or so.

Raya showed just what we are missing between the sticks and a new 'keeper must be a priority in January.  As for Brereton - what can you say - a comedy turn for the last few minutes.  Feel sorry for the lad but he is clearly not up to it and really doesn't look like he ever will be.

Brentford are no mugs and for me it was a thoroughly enjoyable game of football although the ref was up to the usual poor standard.

Brilliant outstanding performance by the players. We played right from the first whistle to the last. We kept it simple at the back. 

Rothwell was outstanding tonight. Armstrong was class and defending very well. Travis and Evans were excellent in centre mid. Back 4 solid aswell. Lenihan lead the team superb. 

Special credit to Mowbray. Got his team selection spot on and tactics. More of the same please. 3 home wins in row. 

Same team for Saturday please