BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

What I want is for the manager to dispense with his idea to ‘transition’ us into Tika taka football. This group of players love playing heavy metal football and Wednesday was a fine example. We don’t need 70% possession of the ball to beat teams. 

I want Mowbray to keep that 11 and blueprint of high octane football with uncompromising centre halves, workman-like midfielders, lightening quick wingers and a little un off a big un, up top. Everyone busts a gut to get forward and everyone kills themselves to get back. It suits the players and us as fans. We were all buzzing after Wednesday.

The progression is simply to by better footballers to suit this mould. Upgrade the quality but keep the identity of the team.

• Like 4

Played well. The manager needs to put aside his stupid obsessions about what sort of football we should play and just play to our strengths. He's wasted yet another almost half a season messing around and it's taken for it to get to crisis point with the fans against him to make the changes we've all be crying out for. Only now does he realise Graham is our best option up front, Rothwell is best when you just let him play his game, Bennett's best position is on the bench and Nyambe is a good full back. Just leave the team alone now Tony, you don't know what's best, leave your failed experiment alone and sign some defenders and a goalkeeper in January and maybe... You might win some trust back. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

They're playing loads better than 2nd bottom under a new manager who has them fired up. A different side to the side most have faced against Stoke this year, and will not be an easy game.

No doubt it will be a tough game but that wasn't my point. They've lost four of the last six we should be going there for the win. 

3 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

No doubt it will be a tough game but that wasn't my point. They've lost four of the last six we should be going there for the win. 

I agree! We agree.

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But our performance last night was very good, the side was well balanced and everyone was 7 out of 10 minimum. Why break it up and change it? Mowbray has often over compensated for his opposition at the cost of our own strengths. Armstrong can run at Stephen Ward and Downing linked up very well with Rothwell down the left.

Again as I said previously, Stoke are a completely different side. You have now asked me the same Q three times, and I've answered it three times. Its fine if you disagree but please do stop asking me to rationalise a position I've already explained in detail several times. I think Stoke are a very physical side, playing Williams at LB over Downing would bring some more physicality to deal with Gregory, Powell and Batth at set pieces, and I also think that Armstrong could struggle physically against the Stoke defence, and a more conservative Holtby who can pick them apart away from home may be more effective.

We are not Leeds or West Brom. We're not good enough to ignore the other team and just play the exact same way every week. Go to Stoke and play the way we did at home to Brentford and it'll be a heavy loss. We have to change it up to suit who we're up against especially away from home.

Against Derby at home, I'd absolutely advocate that the starting XI from the Brentford game play, but not tomorrow. Don't ask me again I cba typing out the same things three times!

Good result and that's all that matters. But I still think theirs still things that didn't look too great which will potentially kill us in future games.

The Central midfield in the 2nd half seemed like a massive gap, it was very open all 2nd half, on another day we could have dropped points. I don't think Travis ( Im massive fan of travis btw) or Evans gave us any cover in front of the back 4. Probably not entirely their fault but as a team sometimes we need to be a bit more compact and close up the massive holes and gaps. They let runners go and there became massive gaps, luckily brentford didn't really have that quality in the final 3rd. We should have killed the game off at times but defensively i just thought we left ourselves very open and on another day we could of dropped points. We need to work on being more solid and closing up gaps especially when we have a lead. I just think game management could of been better, and if we are to pick up more points away from home then its something we really need to improve. But a clean sheet and back to back wins. So I will shut up and enjoy. But I just think if we want to improve our league position in terms of getting points away from home especially then we need to make games less open (I know it was a home game, but we pick up more points at home).

On 27/11/2019 at 17:20, OnePhilT said:

Oh I agree that about your first notion. I was never really won over by Raya's wonder-saves, and at the same time, I've never felt that I wished we had him back. I honestly felt that he was a weakness in the team last season, and it seemed to be the general feeling on here up until the point where there was talk of a sale. Interesting, that!

I really would have liked us to nurture Raya a bit longer, but whatever the reasons for him leaving, I'm still not bothered really. He pulled off one superb stop against Arma tonight, but aside from that, he still felt like the same 'keeper that he was last season. I don't think we're missing out on a great deal to be honest.

And you're right. The fans who raised concerns about him back then probably aren't the same ones who are lauding him now. They probably just raise their voices at the popular time to do so.

He looked.a.lot more assured than he ever.did here.  Quick off his line, something he never was here, was be coached to never step off his goal line or stay home because he does look a different keeper.  I think he is going places, I was very critical of him when he was here and while I acknowledged he had cat like reflexes and the ability to pull off highlight reel saves I had seen enough for long enough of his.lack of strength on the basics of keeping to think he would never amount to much. .It looks like I was wrong, very much so and what should have happened is we should have kept Raya and brought in a top too keeper coach, I think he is going to the top this lad.

I sincerely hope ToMo keeps an eye on Davids progress because there are questions there that Mowbary needs to ask himself, one being is how did Raya all of a sudden address the flaws in his game that he carried here for a few years.  Mmm maybe my coaching staff is not up to snuff, can I change that and get similar improvemnts in Waltons game.  Silly me it won't happen, but it should.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 2

On 27/11/2019 at 17:26, Tom said:

Still some odd comments:

TM on going with Nyambe (who came off with cramp): “We played him because I think Benrahma is one of the best players in the division, he’s a special talent. When you set Nyambe a challenge to stop someone he’s pretty good at it. I’m delighted for him and for the team.” #Rovers

So Nyambe plays to stop one of the best players in the league, then why can’t he play every week?

I can only deduce from ToMo's comments that Nyambe is too good to play against your average player in this division.  In a nutshell it's as if he has just said Nyambe is better than Bennett and I know Bennett was going to get roasted.  Mowbary really does shoot himself in the foot with his comments sometimes.  He has just admitted Ryan is better defending than Bennett si why Tony why is Nennett the first name on the team sheet.

My question, was Bennett not starting anything to do with.an improvement in all the players, do they have an issue seeing a lesser player start every week, is it creating a why bother mentality amongst the others, same can be asked with Danny.G. .It has to we see it so they do it has to affect them mentally.

On 27/11/2019 at 17:26, simongarnerisgod said:

i wonder if saturdays awful showing led to a massive argument in the dressing room after the match,there were a few frought exchanges after the final whistle,i would`nt be surprised if a few influential older players had a showdown with mowbray and told him what was wrong

What caught.my eye Saturday is the celebration after.the 3rd.goal is somewhat tepid.  One camera angle shows Travis I think walking away looking almost dejected, not happy at all.  They should all have been going nuts yet several players were like ho hum.

On 27/11/2019 at 18:48, Wegerleswiggle said:

I might well be his biggest critic but well done tonight Tony. All we can ask of him is that he keeps that same 11 for Saturday. Don't change anything until we start losing or due to injuries. 

A Joe Rothwell that scores goals could easily be a Premier League player.

Armstrong had his best game of the season.

Evans must have had his Irish shirt on underneath.

Defence worked as a unit led by the inspirational Lenihan.

Loved every minute of that performance. 

When January comes I genuinely believe we are only a keeper, a centre half and a left back away from a quality team.

Don't piss about with this formula now please Tony. It works!! 

But you know the stubborn old goat will.  Almost like last season, I think ToMo comes on here reads our comments.and thinks mmmm, let me try.what they are all saying.  You know he will revert to type though, you just know it.

On 28/11/2019 at 03:55, JacknOry said:

I dunno, he has a fantastic left peg, is a great crosser of the ball and is an intelligent footballer. He had a lot more pace about him when younger too and was more a flying winger (am I allowed to say that?). Certainly the best older signing we have made since probably Tugay and Salgado. 

Agree with the rest though. Peter Whittingham (now same age at 35) could not make an impact in a L1 promotion team at 33 years old. Is now still without a club since leaving us. Downing still doing it at a midtable Championship club.

What I enjoyed the most with Downing last night was when he dummied the ball on a run on the left wing.  Gazumped the Brentford lad and it went for a throw to eek more seconds off the clock.  Clever BUT if the Brentford lad doesn't buy it SD is horribly exposed.  It worked and I chuckled at that, good stuff.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ruggles1995 said:

Good result and that's all that matters. But I still think theirs still things that didn't look too great which will potentially kill us in future games.

The Central midfield in the 2nd half seemed like a massive gap, it was very open all 2nd half, on another day we could have dropped points. I don't think Travis ( Im massive fan of travis btw) or Evans gave us any cover in front of the back 4. Probably not entirely their fault but as a team sometimes we need to be a bit more compact and close up the massive holes and gaps. They let runners go and there became massive gaps, luckily brentford didn't really have that quality in the final 3rd. We should have killed the game off at times but defensively i just thought we left ourselves very open and on another day we could of dropped points. We need to work on being more solid and closing up gaps especially when we have a lead. I just think game management could of been better, and if we are to pick up more points away from home then its something we really need to improve. But a clean sheet and back to back wins. So I will shut up and enjoy. But I just think if we want to improve our league position in terms of getting points away from home especially then we need to make games less open (I know it was a home game, but we pick up more points at home).

It is a fair point you make and it was one that I've made several times over the last couple of seasons. Evans when he plays well runs out of steam after 60 minutes. I was saying before Big bad Ben came one that I'd swap Evans for Johnson to see out the game.

• Like 1

Well one owner said it was an expensive car. I didn't see what type it was.

Some maniac totalled my nephews car earlier today (think he had only just gotten out of the car too) and he's having to call insurance, police, etc. Too much hassle whether it's an expensive car or not. The police don't care and apparently the insurance might go up even though this wasn't his fault. Young drivers have enough issues with insurance as it is though he's got one of those black boxes.

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1