Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OnePhilT

General Election 2019

General Election 2019 Poll  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will you be voting for in the 2019 General Election?

    • Conservative
      24
    • Labour
      34
    • SNP
      1
    • Liberal Democrat
      6
    • DUP
      0
    • Green Party
      0
    • Independent Group for Change
      0
    • Brexit Party
      2
    • UKIP
      0
    • Plaid Cymru
      2
    • Independent candidate
      0
    • Other
      1


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, pg said:

Corbyn went from a hero at the last election for forcing Conservatives into minority govt, now he's a villain. Did committing to the 2nd referendum sink Labor?

I think Labour's inability to commit to anything in regards to Brexit whilst having a contentious leader who has been brutally attacked by the right-wing media is what has sunk them. They weren't ever going to get elected with Corbyn in charge - he's become too toxic. The party needs to try relocating back towards the centre if they want to be relevant again, otherwise we're looking at a Conservative government for years if not decades to come.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Absolutely pathetic whoever is doing it have a word with yourselves. 

I’ve had a word with myself and I’m fine with it.

I went back and removed a few from yesterday as well, from the opposite persuasion.  As people seem to think this is ‘a lefty site’.

Edited by K-Hod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Thoroughly disappointing result for me - and it is of little consolation this morning to wake up and find out that - for once - my  tactical vote actually counted for something and helped to swing a seat (cheerio Jo!)

My reward - Tory rule and probably Scottish independence to follow (or at the very least more divisiveness this side of the border!)

TFIF

 

Mrs Shoelaces is suggesting we move to Scotland. She's half Scottish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K-Hod said:

I’ve had a word with myself and I’m fine with it.

I went back and removed a few from yesterday as well, from the opposite persuasion.  As people seem to think this is ‘a lefty site’.

You need to have another pal there was nothing inflammatory in it at all i disagreed with a post and gave good reason.

Sorry but on this one you're letting your own feelings influence. You'll never make speaker of the house like that ! 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

You need to have another pal there was nothing inflammatory in it at all i disagreed with a post and gave good reason.

Sorry but on this one you're letting your own feelings influence. You'll never make speaker of the house like that ! 🙄

There was nowt wrong with yours, it was collateral damage and it quoted one that was doubting people’s intelligence for decisions they have made.
If I have to remove posts from one side (Ones from last night questioning folk voting Tory), then I’ve got to do the same the other way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think Labour's inability to commit to anything in regards to Brexit whilst having a contentious leader who has been brutally attacked by the right-wing media is what has sunk them. They weren't ever going to get elected with Corbyn in charge - he's become too toxic. The party needs to try relocating back towards the centre if they want to be relevant again, otherwise we're looking at a Conservative government for years if not decades to come.  

How would describe the position of the Johnson gang ? They haven't moved to the centre, indeed they are now the most right wing Government this country has ever had in my lifetime.. They are no longer the Conservative Party that I've opposed for the last 50 years. They are an extremist Brexiteer cabal masquerading in the clothes of the old Tory Party. There must be traditional Tories this morning who worrying about how they are going to regain a modicum of influence.

I just caught Lady Hodge on the radio. She seemed more pleased with the result than Johnson. Labour were always going to struggle with the enemy within . When we should have all been rowing in the same direction some MP's were just trailing their hands in the water.

Charles Moore has just been on fo;;owing Lady Hodge and spent his time threatening the BBC.

Corbyn needs to stay on until a new leader can be elected. Ed Milliband stepping down immediately last time was a mistake.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K-Hod said:

There was nowt wrong with yours, it was collateral damage and it quoted one that was doubting people’s intelligence for decisions they have made.
If I have to remove posts from one side (Ones from last night questioning folk voting Tory), then I’ve got to do the same the other way.

Fair enough, respect for the explanation 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the break down of the vote in Northern/Welsh ex-industrial seats labour lost which formed the basis of the defeat.

Id say essentially it comes down to immigration. That's why a huge range of northern towns with little interest in conservative policy generally have voted conservative. Brexit is a proxy for migration, as Brexit is conflated (erroneously) with migration controls. These towns feel very very strongly anti migration. Take migration out and I don't think this mad situation where Blyth is voting conservative would be happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How would describe the position of the Johnson gang ? They haven't moved to the centre, indeed they are now the most right wing Government this country has ever had in my lifetime.. They are no longer the Conservative Party that I've opposed for the last 50 years. They are an extremist Brexiteer cabal masquerading in the clothes of the old Tory Party. There must be traditional Tories this morning who worrying about how they are going to regain a modicum of influence.

It doesn't really surprise me. A lot of people edging towards the far right don't even admit or realise that their sensibilities lie there, and the red-top media make those views seem normal which warps perception across the board. I'm seriously considering moving elsewhere at this point as I feel like my views are increasingly misaligned with the British populace and have been for some time, but Brexit might make that difficult going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Thanks for stating the obvious.....

For real though, they’ve had 3.5 years to get Brexit done and they haven’t, so it’s quite ironic that they’ve won an election with that at the heart of it!

K-Hod, It's been obvious that there has been a number of vested interests (on both sides of politics) that wanted to thwart the UK leaving the EU.

It's obvious, with the benefit of hindsight and by many of the comments on this site, that it became personal and at times vindictive.

A number of politicians on both sides of the house wanted Brexit derailed. There should have been an agreed coalition of Brexit supporting MP's in Parliament to form a government to see it through

That's why Brexit wasn't delivered shortly after the referendum.

For the second time, the will of the people has been determined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Looking at the break down of the vote in Northern/Welsh ex-industrial seats labour lost which formed the basis of the defeat.

Id say essentially it comes down to immigration. That's why a huge range of northern towns with little interest in conservative policy generally have voted conservative. Brexit is a proxy for migration, as Brexit is conflated (erroneously) with migration controls. These towns feel very very strongly anti migration. Take migration out and I don't think this mad situation where Blyth is voting conservative would be happening.

Very much so and this is where Blair yet again has to be held accountable. People don't forget and then you hear Corbyn sign his own parties death warrant with words pointing to open borders.

Sorry but come on that was suicide on the back of his dithering on Brexit.  I doubt any party will get to grips with it now to be honest it's too late. We need foreign workers but we also need to stop providing a soft landing and nest feathering option to all economic migrants from various corners of the world.

That's not right wing its common sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

I'm seriously considering moving elsewhere at this point as I feel like my views are increasingly misaligned with the British populace and have been for some time, but Brexit might make that difficult going forward.

I've spent a bit of time in Malaysia and Croatia, and I can promise you that if you think that the politics and views in the UK are insular, simplistic, manipulated, even corrupt... You ain't seen nothing, yet. Nor have you seen the occasional swastika graffitied around community parks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OnePhilT said:

I've spent a bit of time in Malaysia and Croatia, and I can promise you that if you think that the politics and views in the UK are insular, simplistic, manipulated, even corrupt... You ain't seen nothing, yet. Nor have you seen the occasional swastika graffitied around community parks.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that. There are plenty of places far worse than the UK. For personal reasons I'm potentially looking at moving to Scandinavia in the near future so if I do it'll be interesting to compare. Ultimately humans are humans wherever you go so differences will be minor, but I think it's good to broaden horizons regardless.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that. There are plenty of places far worse than the UK. For personal reasons I'm potentially looking at moving to Scandinavia in the near future so if I do it'll be interesting to compare. Ultimately humans are humans wherever you go so differences will be minor, but I think it's good to broaden horizons regardless.  

Seriously, best of luck with that. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it difficult to adapt to certain things here and there, but it certainly opens your eyes to how differently people from other nations view things and behave! A great learning experience, and an added perspective. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You need to have another pal there was nothing inflammatory in it at all i disagreed with a post and gave good reason.

Sorry but on this one you're letting your own feelings influence. You'll never make speaker of the house like that ! 🙄

This is becoming a common theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best bet right now is to move to Scotland. Maybe they can leave the U.K. and remain in the EU. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Very much so and this is where Blair yet again has to be held accountable. People don't forget and then you hear Corbyn sign his own parties death warrant with words pointing to open borders.

Sorry but come on that was suicide on the back of his dithering on Brexit.  I doubt any party will get to grips with it now to be honest it's too late. We need foreign workers but we also need to stop providing a soft landing and nest feathering option to all economic migrants from various corners of the world.

That's not right wing its common sense.

Issue Labour has is London and the other large cosmopolitan cities (Manchester, Bristol etc.) and Scotland are very very pro immigration.

How they square that is going to be very  tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 47er said:

This is becoming a common theme.

I’ve had two removed, one for comparing the U.K. and Boris to America and Trump, and one for questioning the intelligence of people voting because of racism. The only other time I had a post removed was 10 years ago when it contained breasts. :lol:  I do apologise though, emotions are running high this morning after a night shift of following it unfold. 
 

I tell you one thing though, Boris running this country feels just as messed up as Venky’s running Rovers. It’ll probably be as catastrophic too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to sound like Anna Soubry after the Brexit vote but:

"They don't know what they've voted for"! but to be honest they do, BREXIT and who can blame them.

With a right wing media firmly behind the Tory party, Labour are always going to struggle, with millions of pounds in donations behind the Tory party also thats going to be hard to overcome, thats why Labour have to be on point at all times, yet they've often behaved like the amateur backbenches that they are and never dealt with anti-semetism or condemning terrorism or a clear stance on Brexit, which all resonate with the public and are highlighted across the national media at all times. 

But the bottom line is, Brexit won the day and voters simply want to get Brexit done and the people have put faith in Boris to do that, whilst ignoring the fact we've got a broken NHS, broken transport, broken social housing sector, homelessness at record highs, child poverty at record levels, crumbling roads, etc etc, these simply don't matter to many clearly.

One of the first things the Tories will do is get rid of the fixed term parliament act, so we could have this lot for longer than 5yrs, could be time to move to Scotland as has already been suggested, anyone got any midge repellent? 

 

 

 



 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gav said:

With a right wing media firmly behind the Tory party, Labour are always going to struggle, with millions of pounds in donations behind the Tory party

Yes, you're right the media are to blame for corbyn.

At the last look, Labour have stacks more money than the Tories through the unions so I don't know what on earth you are talking about. Same old claptrap that lost labour this election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dan said:

I’ve had two removed, one for comparing the U.K. and Boris to America and Trump, and one for questioning the intelligence of people voting because of racism. The only other time I had a post removed was 10 years ago when it contained breasts. :lol:  I do apologise though, emotions are running high this morning after a night shift of following it unfold. 
 

I tell you one thing though, Boris running this country feels just as messed up as Venky’s running Rovers. It’ll probably be as catastrophic too. 

It would be unfair if those posts have been removed when it is clear there is a connection between the UK's lurch to the right under the Conservatives and Trump's election in the US, and the racist / nationalist elements of the Brexit vote.

To say last night was disappointing is putting it mildly to say the least. The sick feeling is as bad as when Venky's took over and Rovers sacked Allardyce. It doesn't feel right and I fear for the country. As others have said, thank goodness for Scotland, an almost Tory free zone. The option of moving is there.

Labour made strategic mistakes, and in the end Brexit divided the party more than the Conservatives. The party's vote actually increased in Remain areas but their stance on Brexit disaffected Leavers taken in by the rhetoric of the ring wing press. 

Places like Blyth Valley and Bolsover returning Tory MPs is ridiculous considering how those places have suffered under Tory governments. I hope voters there realise what they have let themselves in for. But there is one upside - Burnley going blue is another good reason for never going there; it's now full of Tory voters.

So what now? I expect Johnson's One Nation Conservatism con-trick will quickly unravel and far right policies come to the fore. With the likes of Raab and Patel and Gove in the cabinet, it is only a matter of time.

A truly depressing day for what used to be a tolerant, fair and progressive country

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Dan said:

Best bet right now is to move to Scotland. Maybe they can leave the U.K. and remain in the EU. ;) 

That's what we're thinking. We're both retired so we don't need  jobs, just somewhere to live. We've visited Edinburgh for the Festival  Fringe a lot in the past and we really like it there but that might be a bit pricey. My wife grew up in Broughty Ferry and she'd like to go back there.  Maybe the East Nook of Fife. That'd be the end of trips to Ewood Park though.

We have a little place in Spain already but although I love holidaying there I'm not sure I'd want to live there full time.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a smaller note, what was that absolute nonsense from Sky about an exit poll suggesting that Johnson was in real danger of losing his seat? He ended up with an increased majority!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's what we're thinking. We're both retired so we don't need  jobs, just somewhere to live. We've visited Edinburgh for the Festival  Fringe a lot in the past and we really like it there but that might be a bit pricey. My wife grew up in Broughty Ferry and she'd like to go back there.  Maybe the East Nook of Fife. That'd be the end of trips to Ewood Park though.

We have a little place in Spain already but although I love holidaying there I'm not sure I'd want to live there full time.

Just over the border----within  reach of Carlisle. Easy train ride to Preston!

Further west to Stranraer, Port Patrick for the warm weather! (unless Johnson fucks up the Gulf Stream as well!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.