Sign in to follow this  
OnePhilT

General Election 2019

General Election 2019 Poll  

70 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will you be voting for in the 2019 General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • SNP
    • Liberal Democrat
    • DUP
    • Green Party
    • Independent Group for Change
    • Brexit Party
    • UKIP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Independent candidate
    • Other

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Congress has to agree any deal and by November 2020 they could have a new President

And Congress has said it won't ratify any deal that threatens the GFA, which depends on having a seamless border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. 

Johnson's deal has erected a border in the Irish sea.

As it stands there won't be a trade deal with the US, and even if there is we have such a weak hand it won't benefit us. 

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

And Congress has said it won't ratify any deal that threatens the GFA, which depends on having a seamless border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. 

Johnson's deal has erected a border in the Irish sea.

As it stands there won't be a trade deal with the US, and even if there is we have such a weak hand it won't benefit us. 

They will be a trade deal with US Jim. 

Congress could be very different come November 2020 aswell

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Why would we suddenly start paying higher  prices for the drugs we buy?  It might be a way of lowering tariff on drugs and they become cheaper....Anyhow, I cant understand this anti-American sentiment, the number of terminally ill people who raise money to go and get treatment in America makes you wonder if we could benefit from that sort of thing being available here and much cheaper.....

Yes Trump is a twat,  but I'm all for closer ties with America,  our long term friend and ally.

So you’re saying that given how everything is being reported (with wanting to be able to charge more for medicines) and how aggressive America usually is with its negotiations, they would suddenly change their stance out of nowhere and lower tariffs? With respect I’m not sure how/why you would be confident or even hopeful in that at all...

I’m not saying there isn’t fantastic medical care in the USA but that also has to be weighed up against how many people become bankrupt getting treatment or simply don’t get treatment and suffer anyway. Similar to my point above it costs staggering amounts for basic procedures let alone experimental ones...even with the bargaining power the nhs has if tariffs are essentially whatever the pharmaceutical companies want to make them a business won’t lower prices so more people have access to their products as it would devalue them, all the evidence points to them doing so, it’s just we’d leave the nhs with no choice but to eventually pay those prices as there wouldn’t be a tariff on most like there is now where prices are lowered to a more manageable (although still high) amount.

And for the record I’m in favour of us having stronger ties with other countries, but not when it’s pretty clear that we’ll be taken advantage of. Nothing the current president does or says isn’t rooted purely in self-interest. Similar to Johnson there’s no altruism or empathy in any of his actions or motivations for anything, yes he’ll be happy to negotiate a trade deal, but 100% it’s one that’ll leave us worse off in most respects than we currently are because he literally wrote the book on the art of the deal.

Big local Government gain from Tories for Lib Dems in the Chippenham constituency. 

Unexpected given the gloom from the opinion polls in the South West.

Just now, schoey said:

So you’re saying that given how everything is being reported (with wanting to be able to charge more for medicines) and how aggressive America usually is with its negotiations, they would suddenly change their stance out of nowhere and lower tariffs? With respect I’m not sure how/why you would be confident or even hopeful in that at all...

We can be the same way you know. Hard, tough and aggressive. We arent going to be walk over by them. 

We did get the drug for Cystic fibrosis Patients from an America drug compant alot lower than Scotland did. Here the story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-50144742

7 minutes ago, schoey said:

You do know that we produce pharmaceuticals too,  don't you?

Chaddy, US spends 2.5 times as much as a proportion of GDP as the UK  on health care to get a worse outcome.

Please stop demeaning us with posting this trash about the NHS being safe under the Tories and outside the EU.

Edited by philipl

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

It probably never occured to you that some people are incapable of looking after themselves, never mind buying a house. This isn't about home ownership, just giving vulnerable people a roof over their heads. 

I read a quote from the late Clive James earlier today. He said after Mrs Thatcher was elected - " Now the incoming government has made greed patriotic ". How little things have changed in 40 years. Nothing surprises me regarding the Tories, after all we all know what working people can expect from them, but the Blair government has a lot to answer for in my book.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

And you stop with your no-nowt claptrap. Cut and past Phil, 

Oh the irony

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

And you stop with your no-nowt claptrap. Cut and past Phil, 

The figures regarding the cost and outcomes regarding the US Health system were broadcast on the radio only yesterday. More money spent for worse outcomes.

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The US in peace time are not our allies. They're economic competitors and rivals. If they get a chance to get one over on us, they will take it. 

They're not always our allies in wartime. My dad fought in North Africa and Italy,  he said they were more scared of being bombed by the US Air Force than the Luftwaffe !

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The figures regarding the cost and outcomes regarding the US Health system were broadcast on the radio only yesterday. More money spent for worse outcomes.

If you had a 360° pie chart, the amount we spend on drugs in the NHS is about 3° of that pie, so this is just scaremongering by people who don't know what they are talking about.

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You do know that we produce pharmaceuticals too,  don't you?

Yes I do, many of which are halting investment or planning to close sites because of brexit. Another knock on from that is that because of a lack of access to research funding from the EU means we won’t be able to attract the researchers to the remaining companies to continue work and develop new drugs. We also import 2/3 of our medicine supply from the EU and overseas, so realistically when we sit down for talks with America again we’ll have next to no bargaining power as we’ve effectively thrown it all away?

Just now, schoey said:

Yes I do, many of which are halting investment or planning to close sites because of brexit. 

Fake news.

Name some  

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

They will be a trade deal with US Jim. 

Congress could be very different come November 2020 aswell

The next presidential election is irrelevant. Democrats and Republicans in Congress will not sanction any trade deal that threatens the GFA,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/31/brexit-mess-with-good-friday-and-well-block-uk-trade-deal-us-politicians-warn

Some background reading for you

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We can be the same way you know. Hard, tough and aggressive. We arent going to be walk over by them. 

This is so naive. What leverage do we have in any trade negotiations?

You're just like the coward and chicken Johnson - you don't do detail

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If you had a 360° pie chart, the amount we spend on drugs in the NHS is about 3° of that pie, so this is just scaremongering by people who don't know what they are talking about.

Says the man who babbles "Fake News" all the time!

Total spending on the NHS was just under £200 billion in 2007.

Spending on drugs by the NHS was around £13 billion in the same year.

That's 6.5 % or more than double what you are quoting. "scare-mongering by people who don't know what they are talking about'!!!!

I honestly think you make it up, then squeal "fake news" at others.

Moreover, the cost of medicines to the NHS is rapidly rising---5% more every year. That is, of course way more than any increase given to the NHS in recent years.

What it will be after we have gone crawling to the USA for a trade deal, God only knows.

And don't have the bloody nerve to ask me for the source ( which I found in about 1 minute by the way)--like you I can't be arsed.

Really didn't see the point of the climate change debate last night on channel 4.

Glad I didn't watch it.

Not many people will be voting on the basis of green policies. Irrelevant subject.

Farage did right to not attend. He already held his hand up on the ITV interview and said he wasn't a green role model. Brexit party.... Green party over there.

Channel 4 wouldn't let Gove on to represent to Tories. Irrelevant channel.

Apart from the fact I don't subscribe to the theory that global warming is man made, we are a tiny island making a tiny impact. You want to go to the far east where you can't see for smog and they don't care about it. Lot of people making a lot of money out of this fake news.

Sturgeon the poison dwarf makes me laugh. Bragging about Scotland leading the way in the push to zero carbon emissions. Scotland is basically 2 towns and the rest is hills and tundra. It's like Antarctica boasting they were the first to be carbon neutral.

Back to the real issues....

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Chaddy, US spends 2.5 times as much as a proportion of GDP as the UK  on health care to get a worse outcome.

Please stop demeaning us with posting this trash about the NHS being safe under the Tories and outside the EU.

Philipl, not listening to Labour and Corbyn bullshit and the NHS is safe under Tories. You live in Malta dont you?.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

The next presidential election is irrelevant. Democrats and Republicans in Congress will not sanction any trade deal that threatens the GFA,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/31/brexit-mess-with-good-friday-and-well-block-uk-trade-deal-us-politicians-warn

Some background reading for you

Wrong again Jim. Of course it matters who the President is and who.is in charge of congress. 

Yesterday news your link. 

Here some background reading, even after the Mess of May and Johnson not winning commons votes Labour still cant win this election. Pathetic leadership

Just now, jim mk2 said:

This is so naive. What leverage do we have in any trade negotiations?

You're just like the coward and chicken Johnson - you don't do detail

Typical Labour and Corbyn talks. Dont lecture me about Detail Jim. You dont face facts. People dont want Corbyn and little gang of friends in power or trade unions to have any power. Tony Blair was the best leader you had in the last 30 years. Fact! You should have elected David Millband as leader but you dont look at the bigger position. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Wrong again Jim. Of course it matters who the President is and who.is in charge of congress. 

The President isn't "in charge of Congress" FFS. Your lack of knowledge is staggering.

You said we could drive a hard bargain in any future US trade deal

Answer the question: what leverage do we have ? 

God knows there are plenty of things to get annoyed about in the Conservative manifesto but page 48 is the one that really scares me. Yet beyond some articles in The Independent this week I have not seen any discussion about it anywhere.

It's essentially saying that they are going to reorganise both Parliament and the judicial system to ensure that Parliament and the people can't call them to account when they try stunts like proroguing Parliament again. They want the Government to be above Parliament. When I was a lad studying history, moves like that that pretty much flagged up a dictatorship.

How far have we come from the Vote Leave campaign stating that a vote for leave was to get our sovereignty back.

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tony Blair was the best leader you had in the last 30 years. Fact!

Actually that isn't a fact, its your opinion. You do seem to confuse the two.

31 minutes ago, RoverthePennines said:

Beat me to it! 😂 

From that Guardian article there’s also Eisai from Japan who make Alzheimer’s and cancer medication too.

Edited by schoey

I see the Tories are giving Channel 4 the hard word now just like they gave it to the BBC years ago. I hope Channel 4 have more balls than the Beeb. I was listening to a CD in the car earlier - Roy Orbison came on - He was singing Johnson's theme song , Running Scared -   " Just Running Scared, Afraid To Lose ".

What a coward he is, just like all bullies.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces