BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

• J*B featured this topic

I always rated him in his premier league days but in all honesty haven't Seen much of him over the last couple of years so have no idea what we have actually signed. If he is anything like the downing of years gone by then we have a good un. 

Time will tell. I just hope to god it isn't to the detriment of chapman or even rothwell

• Moderation Lead

I’m not really for or against this signing to be honest. There’s been a player in there in the past, hopefully we can see some of those qualities again. 

• Backroom

He’s had undeniable quality, we are stung by the Whittingham and Murphy signings but I’m cautiously optimistic about this one.

Not an exciting signing as such but a steady one who I think will do well enough 

Just now, Ossydave said:

The more I think about it the more I think he's being brought in partly for his set piece deliveries because Mulgrew ain't gonna start next season (hopefully)

Was thinking the same. It really takes takes the reliance on Mulgrews set-pieces off us. A left footer too 

Then again, neither might start.....

I think if Downing played a lot for Boro last season he will be expecting to start a lot here too and TM must have given him the impression he would.  It seems a decent signing on the whole, he did well enough last season to expect he can still do it this even though there is a risk he will lose a la Murphy.  The interesting thing is to see where he will play, perhaps not so much wide of an attacking 3 but more centrally.  If so can he play as part of a 2 in midfield or are we going to see a change of formation Downing will be on the left side of a middle 3?

• Like 1

Regardless of your thoughts on whether Downing still has anything to offer (I'm mildly optimistic/indifferent), I think we can all agree the key detail is it's a 1-year contract. This will not be another Etuhu/Murphy-type deal...

(Perhaps there's an unannounced option year in there, but presumably he'll have worked out as a signing if he hits the targets for an option year, a la Graham!)

Mowbray seems to think we need additional veteran presence in the dressing room (plus replacing Conway), and presumably they have a good working relationship. Hard one to get too upset over as an initial signing.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

He’s had undeniable quality, we are stung by the Whittingham and Murphy signings but I’m cautiously optimistic about this one.

Not an exciting signing as such but a steady one who I think will do well enough 

I have to mute Murphy whenever he's on the tv.

Perhaps my most hated ex-Rover. Just an absolute joke of a professional.

• Like 1

I wonder if he will start the first game of the season. Mowbray doesn’t traditionally throw new players into the mix but it would be strange to bring him in to sit on the bench.

Genuinely think that Mowbray will play him as a winger, as he did with Conway, who he also offered a new deal to. Would he have been switched inside because of his age? I doubt it. Mowbray teams don’t play with pace so I don’t think he will see it as a problem.

It will be interesting to find out his wage. According to the “flex rule”, he should be on well over £20k per week, probably had a healthy signing on fee too.

Let’s just hope this works out on the pitch. Another Whittingham is about as good as another Murphy. Although in L1 Whittingham at least suggested ambition and may even have helped to land other players.

Never happy with these kind of signings under these owners no matter who the manager or how many games they played last season. Not one has worked out yet and financially lessons never get learned. Biggest worry for me comes down to Mowbrays handling of it as you fear he'll try and come up with something to accommodate this player rather than having signed him for a specific role, he does that wuith most signings anyway so this'll provide plenty talking points and arguments next season if nothing else.

As for the player himself he's got good pedigree (they all usually have at this age) and hopefully more desire than the likes of Whittingham etc. And he does look lithe and fit for a 35 yr old although legs can go overnight.  I'm wondering if this is really creative cover in prep to lose Dack but nevertheless we do desperately need creativity in the squad.

Wish him all the best he has a clean slate from me to prove himself but I've no expectations whatsoever.

Welcome Stewart.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Up shits creek without a paddle, no doubt about it. Pointless signing and Mowbray doing another of his old pals a favour. 

They've never worked together before have they?

Positional stats 18/19:-

Position Apps Goals Assists Rating
Sub (Substitute) 14 0 0 6.21
FWR (Forward Right) 11 1 1 6.87
AMC (Attacking Midfielder Centre) 6 0 0 6.75
DML (Defensive Midfielder Left) 2 0 0 6.94
FWL (Forward Left) 1 1 0 8.7
ML (Midfielder Left) 1 0 0 7.36
MC (Midfielder Centre) 1 0 0 6.49
AMR (Attacking Midfielder Right) 1 0 0 6.36
MR (Midfielder Right) 1 0 0 6.25

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

Regardless of your thoughts on whether Downing still has anything to offer (I'm mildly optimistic/indifferent), I think we can all agree the key detail is it's a 1-year contract. This will not be another Etuhu/Murphy-type deal...

(Perhaps there's an unannounced option year in there, but presumably he'll have worked out as a signing if he hits the targets for an option year, a la Graham!)

Mowbray seems to think we need additional veteran presence in the dressing room (plus replacing Conway), and presumably they have a good working relationship. Hard one to get too upset over as an initial signing.

True it's a more sensible approach and basically you can see TM and and agent or two aren't trying to screw the club over with this as it once would have been.

I also reckon there'll be option of another year I think that's a given at Ewood these days as is the opportunity to get the games to trigger it if the manager likes you.

So whilst not the eye watering financial commitment of the past these deals still represent very little in the value for money stakes he'll still be on big wages by our standards and this along with one or two others who are still pointlessly on the books could all have been pooled and put in a different more needy direction for a decent player.

Non of that will matter of course if there is an ample budget to recruit such as well but I won't hold my breath.