BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

• Backroom

Best pure footballer at the club, versatile in a good way (the anti-Bennett), extremely professional and still has good fitness for a player his age - unlike many players at the club he's rarely injured. Definitely wouldn't be opposed to a year's extension.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, skous18 said:

He looks the fittest and is our player of the season so far. Id give him a new 2 years contract 

Point A - Correct and an example of how a top pro should look after himself. Sadly it'll be lost on a lot of championship jobbers.

Point B - Woah there, way over the top he's getting on and as we've seen numerous times the legs can go overnight. Asses him at the end of the season but if money is tight it might be best used elsewhere.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Needs to be reviewed at the end of the season but if a contract is offered needs to be 1 year max.

Yup. a 12 month extension would be the most sensible option. There's no need to rush. I doubt we'd face that much competition for a player who'd be 37 the following summer.  

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wouldn't make sense to offer more than 1 year at a time.

Gareth Barry still around at 38

Yup, one year at a time is the most sensible option. Once legs go it is sudden. Besides, who knows what Downing wants, he might fancy retiring. Definitely earned a years extension though. Funny thing is I never really rated him in his younger years but he has impressed me so much this season. Loves to play football so you have to respect that he chose to join us for minutes after being told he wouldn't feature much for Boro this season. Bet they are regretting that decision now though. 

• Like 1

Hes been unexpectedly brilliant. But. He is old and could go at any time. The older he gets the more likely it becomes.

Despite how good he has been, the sensible decision would be to offer him 12 months...at a reduced wage. I'm sure some won't agree, but you will if his legs give out in November.

A player-coach arrangement may also suit all parties.

• Like 3

• Backroom

We've seen with Mulgrew how quickly age can catch up with a player once they get into their 30s. A year's extension would definitely be the wisest move. Giving Mulgrew 2 1/2 years in retrospect was a huge mistake.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wouldn't make sense to offer more than 1 year at a time.

Gareth Barry still around at 38

Downing is only 6 months older than Milner who just signed a 2 year extension playing for the current best team in the world. Hard one but he is definately top quality in every position Tony shoves him.

If my maths are right, Salgado was 34 when he arrived and played until 37 when he was still capable.

Quality is quality.

Wasn't Tugay here from 31 to 39 ?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Downing is only 6 months older than Milner who just signed a 2 year extension playing for the current best team in the world. Hard one but he is definately top quality in every position Tony shoves him.

If my maths are right, Salgado was 34 when he arrived and played until 37 when he was still capable.

Quality is quality.

Wasn't Tugay here from 31 to 39 ?

All fair points. Some players can cut it at crazy ages. But nobody is disputing that. Many lose it at the drop of a hat at this stage of their career.

The current best team in the world can easily manage Milner's wages. Downing is probably one of our best paid players and we are in huge debt whilst risking FUP sanctions. It can only be a one year deal. And as I said before, a bit of a wage drop really as the risk of suddenly losing it increases. If he carries on like this though til the end of the season, I think we all definitely want him for another year.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well, I'd been starting to think and say that we should only extend his contract if he would take about half his present reputed wage, due to his increasing age and a few signs of slowdown at the end of the season. Then I saw the stats in this article:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-downing-contract-transfers-18670814

Stats don't tell the whole story, but...

Highest number of accurate long passes of any Rover

Second highest short passes (first was Lenihan, mostly easy passing in tons of space at the back)

Highest assists (8, which is 2 more than Arma who was second, and is the same as Benrahma and Eze

More than TWICE the 'key passes' of any other Rover (again Arma second)

94 accurate crosses - the second highest was only 20!!

All whilst shunted around different positions (although that's the Mowbray Mantra). I bet his experience has been valuable behind the scenes too. Makes me wonder if it might be more important to secure another year from him than I thought. I definitely think he started to lull after Jan though, and again, he could become a liability at a moment's notice because of his age. There's also the argument people have made, which I think at times is true, that he slows our play. This possession based stuff isn't working as far as I'm concerned, so maybe we don't need somebody who keeps that ticking, I don't know. The key passes and accurate crosses are two things we already don't do enough of to break teams down though, and he absolutely dominates those stats.

It's an interesting one. If, as believed, he is on about 20k a week, I'm not sure we can afford the risk at that price (plus whatever signing on fee), but still. Best thing would certainly be if, in the current climate, he accepted his wage needs to drop dramatically and re-signs more affordably. He probably doesn't really need the money anymore and surely wants to finish his career playing as much football as possible?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Well, I'd been starting to think and say that we should only extend his contract if he would take about half his present reputed wage, due to his increasing age and a few signs of slowdown at the end of the season. Then I saw the stats in this article:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-downing-contract-transfers-18670814

Stats don't tell the whole story, but...

Highest number of accurate long passes of any Rover

Second highest short passes (first was Lenihan, mostly easy passing in tons of space at the back)

Highest assists (8, which is 2 more than Arma who was second, and is the same as Benrahma and Eze

More than TWICE the 'key passes' of any other Rover (again Arma second)

94 accurate crosses - the second highest was only 20!!

All whilst shunted around different positions (although that's the Mowbray Mantra). I bet his experience has been valuable behind the scenes too. Makes me wonder if it might be more important to secure another year from him than I thought. I definitely think he started to lull after Jan though, and again, he could become a liability at a moment's notice because of his age. There's also the argument people have made, which I think at times is true, that he slows our play. This possession based stuff isn't working as far as I'm concerned, so maybe we don't need somebody who keeps that ticking, I don't know. The key passes and accurate crosses are two things we already don't do enough of to break teams down though, and he absolutely dominates those stats.

It's an interesting one. If, as believed, he is on about 20k a week, I'm not sure we can afford the risk at that price (plus whatever signing on fee), but still. Best thing would certainly be if, in the current climate, he accepted his wage needs to drop dramatically and re-signs more affordably. He probably doesn't really need the money anymore and surely wants to finish his career playing as much football as possible?

Ya, this is why it perplexes me when some posters here play down what he does. I wonder do they get football at all ?‍♂️ We actually have a player who keeps the ball and passes it accurately, what do people want? Lowe, Williamson or any other number of plodders we have had over the years? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, this is why it perplexes me when some posters here play down what he does. I wonder do they get football at all ?‍♂️ We actually have a player who keeps the ball and passes it accurately, what do people want? Lowe, Williamson or any other number of plodders we have had over the years? 

They must have seats facing away from the pitch, Downing is quality, must be kept at all costs.

• Like 3