BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

19 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Very narrow though, need two very good overlapping fullbacks for that to work. Id also have Dack for Brereton personally, with Holtby in the Downing role.

Can Dack play there though, I don't think so. The "problem" with Dack is that he needs to play 1 of 2 similar roles, either the 10 or as a second striker. 

Ya, it is narrow, but the Dack situation means it kind of has to be, otherwise it's a straight 4-3-3 with Dack or Downing in your typical center midfield role. 

We have options in midfield and upfront, it's just how best to utilize them.... 

• Like 1

No point having Brereton in a wider role. Him and Gallagher should be central players, initially backing up Dack and Armstrong.

The only player that has scope to play wide out of the 4 is Armstrong, but ideally we should have him central and only move him wide if and when Gallagher or Brereton hit some form central. 

• Backroom

I like Downing but would sooner see him on a contract that includes coaching duties rather than full-on playing contract.

There'll come a point next season where he'll only be useful to come on in the last 20mins when we're already winning to settle the game down, as Tugay often did in his final year.

Edited by Mike E

I dont understand the regular clamour to include coaching duties in the contracts of ageing players.

Players should only be given deals if they warrant them solely on the pitch. For me, finances permitting Downing does.

There is no indicator that Downing, or indeed Graham etc before him are either capable or willing coaches.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

The old pals act strikes again with Mowbray. Downing is here for nothing more than one final pay day.

He's 36 had no pre season and hasn't played for 4 months. It's a very desperate act, from an increasingly desperate looking manager.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 5

After our deadline day signings I was dead against this happening, but with the amount of injuries we've recently had I can see the reasoning. Hopefully he's kept himself fit and can fill a hole whilst we wait for some players to come back

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, not to sign him because hes a good player, but to sign him now.

We have just had a run of games in which Buckley has played and looked lost and a few in which Evans has played a totally unfamiliar position.

Why the hell has the deal only been done now?

Well clearly Downing didnt want to comment till now. 

As he ever been link any other club during being a free agent? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wrong move by Mowbray and Rovers. 

Downing has no match fitness or pre season under him so how long will the take before he is ready? A month

Nobody knows how fit he will be. By all accounts he is a true professional so will possibly have kept his fitness levels up. 

Don't know why deal wasn't agreed earlier. Would have been perfect cover for left back or midfield.

I wonder if Covid issues have spooked the club, or just difficult to agree a deal.

If he's kept his fitness up, I'm all for this. Injuries/illness seems to be hitting us hard at the moment. He's an asset in the squad providing we don't shoe horn him in centre midfield again (the experiment didn't work). He was arguably our best player before Christmas and he actually keeps hold of the ball, which plenty of our players don't seem to be able to do at the moment.

Probably just giving him a few months off and saving a bit on wages and now the situation has forced the hand a bit.

Obviously there are no experienced free agent defenders or keepers in the entire world anymore.

Edited by tomphil

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My reply to.your question @roversfan99

Wrong move by Mowbray and Rovers. 

Downing has no match fitness or pre season under him so how long will the take before he is ready? A month

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well clearly Downing didnt want to comment till now. 

As he ever been link any other club during being a free agent? 

Fair play for sticking to your guns.

Regarding Downing being unwilling to commit, that is a total assumption. Mowbray said that he wasnt a priority and that he would come back to the deal if there was any money left. As it is, points have been lost in the meantime.

I think that had it been done before the season, it would have been a very shrewd addition, he created chances like nobody else did last season and is probably our best technical player.

Just now, rovers11 said:

Great news and very well timed. We need his quality and experience at the moment, especially as it means Evans is pushed further down the pecking order. 

Very well timed? Surely very well timed would have been before this terrible run in which Buckley and Evans have toiled in there?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair play for sticking to your guns.

Regarding Downing being unwilling to commit, that is a total assumption. Mowbray said that he wasnt a priority and that he would come back to the deal if there was any money left. As it is, points have been lost in the meantime.

Mowbray offered him a new contract in the summer he didn't accept. 

With the money we spent on Downing and Douglas surely we could had bought Ryan Manning

• Like 2

Sensible move by Mowbray under the circumstances.  This season is going to see far more players ruled out by injury because of the congested fixture programme.  Add the problems with Covid-19 and the isolating issues and I don't think you can have enough players to be honest.  I thought Downing did a decent job last season and his versatility will be extremely valuable this season.

• Like 2