BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Boro Old Folks Rovers.

Mowbrays plaything.

And still hes a Legend.

I just wish he'd fuck off or similar and stop ruining my life.

Yup, wonder if there's any more washed up ex  Boro players or players Warnock has released doing the rounds.

They're bound to be next in.

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why not, we have no bite in the centre of our midfield and having a player like Morsy would also give more protection to a weak defence that is too often left exposed. 

Exsctly, and someone who will have more mental toughness than the vast majority of our team.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yup, wonder if there's any more washed up ex  Boro players or players Warnock has released doing the rounds.

They're bound to be next in.

Surely time to give Ripley a call to balance the side?

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Doesn't every player look for the best deal they can get?

Or should we assume it's always been Downing's dream to play for Rovers)

Those that do are, IMO, nothing more than mercenaries.

A labourer is worthy of his hire and I think it's fair to assume there were no takers for Downing based upon a likely inflated value of his own worth.

So, we get a player who is weeks behind in terms of fitness and match fitness and who, IMO, only wants to come because he's no other options.

I also think time caught up with Downing in the latter part of last season and, IMO, his legs have gone.

Think this will prove to be a signing we regret.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I'm not really impressed with this. We have plenty of mediocre midfielders, or youngsters trying to establish themselves in the team so an old player wasting wages isnot what we need. What can he offer that Johnson, Buckley, Chapman, Lyons, Evans, Bennett.......... can't? 

Downing was very good last season. Assuming that age hasnt caught up with him, he is very much around the first team. Lyons has never played a minute for us, Bennett is out for months and not up to it, Johnson was massively inferior to Downing last year, Evans is very limited, Chapman is a winger and Buckley isnt ready.

As previously mentioned, the timing is the problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A labourer is worthy of his hire and I think it's fair to assume there were no takers for Downing based upon a likely inflated value of his own worth.

So, we get a player who is weeks behind in terms of fitness and match fitness and who, IMO, only wants to come because he's no other options.

I also think time caught up with Downing in the latter part of last season and, IMO, his legs have gone.

Again, massive assumptions seemingly to discredit him as a person. "A likely inflated value of his own worth!"

He said that he probably would have retired had he not signed here again.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, massive assumptions seemingly to discredit him as a person. "A likely inflated value of his own worth!"

It's good of Mowbray to give one of his mates a final pay day. Just a shame he is wasting clubs funds doing it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A lot of IMO's in here, not many of which equate to anything substantial. His legs have gone? There's no basis for that. He only wants to come because of X, Y and Z... I'm sorry but this is just a wild stab in the dark. Unless you happen to be a family friend of the Downing's of course and I take it back. But otherwise this is completely fabricated - IMO.

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not trying to discredit him at all.

If you are trying to sell your house and you are asking for say £100k and no one is prepared to pay it then have you clearly not inflated its worth in your own mind?

At the end of the day, the value of anything is only what someone is prepared to pay.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

A lot of IMO's in here, not many of which equate to anything substantial. His legs have gone? There's no basis for that. He only wants to come because of X, Y and Z... I'm sorry but this is just a wild stab in the dark. Unless you happen to be a family friend of the Downing's of course and I take it back. But otherwise this is completely fabricated - IMO.

I wouldn't say there was no basis for it, Imo, he was poor post lock down after a break.

Very optimistic to think at his age he is going to improve on that, back to the form of the start of last season after another extended break imo.

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

He's 36 had no pre season and hasn't played for 4 months. This stinks of Mowbray not for the first time doing a mate a favour.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me we don't need that type of player. 

Yes and that's why Mowbray has implemented this 4-3-3 formation as he thinks the best way for Rovers to progress and to get top 6 and promote

How do you think that Morsy would not fit into a 433 formation and why, in your stated opinion, is Morsy not Mowbray's type of player? (Morsy was where this discussion started)

IMO, 433 is garbage the way Mowbray plays it, it's why there's little or no protection in front of the back 2. On the odd occasions we win a defensive header, it lands just outside the 'D' and the oncoming opposition midfielder has half an hour to pick his spot. How many times have we seen that?

Mowbray will undoubtedly see what he missed tomorrow night!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I'm not really impressed with this. We have plenty of mediocre midfielders, or youngsters trying to establish themselves in the team so an old player wasting wages isnot what we need. What can he offer that Johnson, Buckley, Chapman, Lyons, Evans, Bennett.......... can't? 

£10k a week for you and £5k a week for me, just saying....

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

We all watch football and have opinions which very often are at odds with other fans' opinions.

Quite simply, IMO, Downing's form tailed off in the latter part of last season and he looked increasingly leggy.

So, Rovers negotiate with Downing some 3 to 4 months ago and can't reach agreement.  So do you think Downing went home, put his feet up and decided that was it only to suddenly realise 3 to 4 months down the line that he's missing Rovers so much he wants to have another go.  Well, if that's what you think then fine but I don't.  

26 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Not trying to discredit him at all.

If you are trying to sell your house and you are asking for say £100k and no one is prepared to pay it then have you clearly not inflated its worth in your own mind?

At the end of the day, the value of anything is only what someone is prepared to pay.

Calling him a mercenary is somewhat discrediting him, especially when none of us know what happened in terms of any negotiations.

• Like 2

‘A lot of IMOs’, well yes kind of the point of the board, no?

He was poor by his standards in the closing stages. He’s certainly not a poor footballer or someone prone to inconsistency or any way out of his depth as a PL footballer of many years standing. So yes, that it was the physical demands catching up with a 36 year old non defender/goalkeeper is a fair assumption to make.

Edited by Mattyblue

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Calling him a mercenary is somewhat discrediting him, especially when none of us know what happened in terms of any negotiations.

I did not call Downing a mercenary.

I was responding to @islander200  who said  "Doesn't every player look for the best deal they can get?"

I replied "Those that do are, IMO, nothing more than mercenaries" - no reference to Downing.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if a footballer turned round and said, "do you know, there are better offers out there but club x really looked after me and I have enjoyed my time there and I value that far more than a few extra quid in the pay packet".

"Financially, things are tight and we had to fill in some positions and Stewart knew that pretty early. We needed a centre-half, we needed a goalie, we needed a left-back and we needed certain positions and we couldn't spend the money until we filled the positions needed."

Seems that Downing was very much down the list of priorities.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I did not call Downing a mercenary.

I was responding to @islander200  who said  "Doesn't every player look for the best deal they can get?"

I replied "Those that do are, IMO, nothing more than mercenaries" - no reference to Downing.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if a footballer turned round and said, "do you know, there are better offers out there but club x really looked after me and I have enjoyed my time there and I value that far more than a few extra quid in the pay packet".

Fair enough but at the same time we don't know what discussions were had.It might not have been about money.

The manager could have said to Downing "I'd like you to resign with us and here is what we can offer but you won't be playing as big a role as last season"

So it could have been about playing time or any other number of reasons, I find it unlikely that Downing thought he would have a multitude of lucrative contract offers.

Think it's a sensible signing but will echo others comments that the timing of it is wrong if it was to be done it should have been weeks ago.

• Like 1