BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

Mulgrew's unceremonious exit was strange. If it was due to contractual reasons (100 app contract extension) surely the club would've been aware of that in the summer? It would make no sense for him to start as captain against Charlton. Unless we needed someone off the wage bill to bring in Holtby?

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

Mulgrew's unceremonious exit was strange. If it was due to contractual reasons (100 app contract extension) surely the club would've been aware of that in the summer? It would make no sense for him to start as captain against Charlton. Unless we needed someone off the wage bill to bring in Holtby?

Are Wigan paying all of his wages or just part of them ?

Downing has been ok, I raised serious doubts about his lack of influence in terms of goals/assists last year and he has contributed to 4 goals, the ones v Leeds, Hull and Charlton all being good dead balls. (although he is certainly no Mulgrew in that regard)

I do think that he often struggles to assert any influence from open play however, the only direct contribution to a goal was v Reading and it was very much creative license of using the term assist! I am not sure he has the mobility to have the impact he once was capable of out wide and I also remain very unconvinced that he is able to make the transition to central midfield successfully and dictate games like Gallagher does for example at PNE.

Ultimately, hes usually between neat and tidy or ineffective.

Johnson has been a disappointment, Walton has been poor, Gallagher worse, Cunningham immediately injured, Adarabioyo underwhelming bar one performance and Holtby has not featured enough yet and his role seems a little confused at the moment, so Downings overall average start is arguably the best of all of the signings.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Downing has been ok, I raised serious doubts about his lack of influence in terms of goals/assists last year and he has contributed to 4 goals, the ones v Leeds, Hull and Charlton all being good dead balls. (although he is certainly no Mulgrew in that regard)

I do think that he often struggles to assert any influence from open play however, the only direct contribution to a goal was v Reading and it was very much creative license of using the term assist! I am not sure he has the mobility to have the impact he once was capable of out wide and I also remain very unconvinced that he is able to make the transition to central midfield successfully and dictate games like Gallagher does for example at PNE.

Ultimately, hes usually between neat and tidy or ineffective.

Johnson has been a disappointment, Walton has been poor, Gallagher worse, Cunningham immediately injured, Adarabioyo underwhelming bar one performance and Holtby has not featured enough yet and his role seems a little confused at the moment, so Downings overall average start is arguably the best of all of the signings.

Sums up my thoughts (albeit a bit kind on Walton imo). Imo I think he could still offer a lot either in the centre or wide left. Yes, there's a lack of pace but if a team was busy with Holtby and Dack as the other part of the 3, I feel the better passing and "making space" would compensate for a lack of pace. Similarly if he were pinging it in to Graham rather than Gallagher we also may see more from him. Finally being played as an inverted winger at least in 2 or 3 games is only going to make it harder for Downing and won't have helped at all. A terrible idea from  TM to do that, meaning we had no width on either wing. 

Perhaps underwhelming is as good as we can hope for in the transfer window under TM and for TM Downing's lack of being abysmal makes him a comparative raging success. I do wonder however whether with a better manager if Downing would be a very astute piece of business. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
5 hours ago, Amo said:

Seems more likely it was to bring in Cunningham as a one in/one out kind of thing. 

• Like 2

• Herbie6590 unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Everybody talking about, Travis and Dacky and and i share they were the best on pitch yesterday but what about my man Stewart Downing? Come on pals with 35 years is showong one of the biggest commitments on our squad in my opinion he's proving to himself and probably to the boro tossers that they were wrog and he still being a very good and reilable player...
Personally he tottally over pass my expectations and he's one of my favorites this seasson.
#COYBBR
#ImRoversTillIDie
#TheMexicanRover

Just now, Alejandro Tapia said:

Everybody talking about, Travis and Dacky and and i share they were the best on pitch yesterday but what about my man Stewart Downing? Come on pals with 35 years is showong one of the biggest commitments on our squad in my opinion he's proving to himself and probably to the boro tossers that they were wrog and he still being a very good and reilable player...
Personally he tottally over pass my expectations and he's one of my favorites this seasson.
#COYBBR
#ImRoversTillIDie
#TheMexicanRover

Rothwell and Nyambe were best on pitch yesterday.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Alejandro Tapia said:

#COYBBR
#ImRoversTillIDie
#TheMexicanRover

Amen brother, he’s a joy to watch and must be such an inspiration to the young lads. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2019 at 14:54, Amo said:

Haven't got a clue, Tyrone. Just find it weird it looked like he was part of Mowbray's plans only to be shoved out the door.

I think Mowbray had figured out Mulgrew was a total defensive liability, but didn't want to create an "atmosphere" by side lining him unless he knew he was leaving. Then once Wigan showed an interest  he rushed him out.

One of the peculiarities of Mowbray is that he does seem to put a lot of stock in keeping certain players on side. But it's important not to stretch it too far - he has now dropped nearly all the old pros Smallwood, Graham, Mulgrew, Evans, Johnson. It's only really Bennett left who was interestingly dropped on Wednesday.

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think Mowbray had figured out Mulgrew was a total defensive liability, but didn't want to create an "atmosphere" by side lining him unless he knew he was leaving. Then once Wigan showed an interest  he rushed him out. 

And what if Wigan hadn't come calling? Mowbray was prepared to weaken the team for the sake of dressing room harmony?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The fact him and Mowbray have said it. It's why he left! 

If Mulgrew didn't feature in Mowbray's plans, why start him against Charlton? 

Mulgrew said the move was a shock, so he obviously didn't get the memo.

Just now, Amo said:

If Mulgrew didn't feature in Mowbray's plans, why start him against Charlton? 

Mulgrew said the move was a shock, so he obviously didn't get the memo.

Over loyalty and i presume after his bold words he then went away for summer and overthunk it. Convinced himself that altering to keep ball and getting a bit of back up would solve the problem and not upset too many.

Just now, tomphil said:

Over loyalty and i presume after his bold words he then went away for summer and overthunk it. Convinced himself that altering to keep ball and getting a bit of back up would solve the problem and not upset too many.

That does sound like something Mogga would do but I find it more plausible that we needed him out to bring in Cunningham (like DE said) or a contractual issue.

Edited by Amo

• 1 month later...

Watching Downing play in the middle today made me realise how we have missed a quality central midfielder for many many years. His range of passing was stunning. People rave about TAA and how he can switch play from right to left but having seen Downing pick out Bell, Rothwell or Chapman from the right hand side was brilliant. He is a quality player and one that all our youngsters should pay attention to. He'd get my vote for player of the season thus far. If only he was 3 or 4 years younger. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Watching Downing play in the middle today made me realise how we have missed a quality central midfielder for many many years. His range of passing was stunning. People rave about TAA and how he can switch play from right to left but having seen Downing pick out Bell, Rothwell or Chapman from the right hand side was brilliant. He is a quality player and one that all our youngsters should pay attention to. He'd get my vote for player of the season thus far. If only he was 3 or 4 years younger. 

Indeed. He is a class act and reminded me so much of Gordon Cowans, who was also terrific for us

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

He's on 2 goals and 4 assists for the season. In 23 games. Not breathtaking but already a fair improvement on his 2 goals and 1 assist in 38 games from his last season at Boro. He has also played a fair few games at LB. And notched one in the cup.

• 3 weeks later...