BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blues Bar

Just now, Stuart said:

It’s dead because what they are offering is not value for money.

They should do something about that.

Sadly they won’t. They will just shut it down.

Tbh Stuart, The entire town of Blackburn is dead tbh. More of East Lancashire is the same sorry to say Stuart. 

I don't see many people having the funds to go Blues Bar on a regular basics within the local area. 

Ive been to Manchester town centre today to visit the Christmas markets and I will say that compare to 2 years ago it was downsize and more expensive. Quality less

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’m really worried that this bloke will see us return to the dark days.

John Williams leaving was such a disaster. If the numpties in Pune had just left him to it this club would be thriving right now and they would have saved loads of money and opened their Venkys shops. Maybe even had the Riverside names after them. Shit, with the money saved they could have even redeveloped it first! It’s like we are in some nightmare parallel universe. Meanwhile, in the real world Rovers are where Leicester are and Burnley are in L2!

Bastards!!!

Too right, Stu. Millions of pounds pissed away on rotten managers, rotten signings, NDAs and the rest. When all they had to do was let the current setup carry on. All too avoidable.

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ive been in Blues bar some times but the place is always dead despite a decent menu but now people habits are changing and with Blackburn not exactly the wealthiest  place in the world. 

Will it real affect me cos I just go the pub down the road

I suppose if you wont be affected, if you dont go, if you go somewhere else, then the club are correct to discount any attempts to be proactive and attempt to increase potential custom and simply continue to downscale the club.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I suppose if you wont be affected, if you dont go, if you go somewhere else, then the club are correct to discount any attempts to be proactive and attempt to increase potential custom and simply continue to downscale the club.

How many times have you actually been yourself to Blues Bar? 

How many people would go during the day when most people are working?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

How many times have you actually been yourself to Blues Bar? 

How many people would go during the day when most people are working?

I never go, its irrelevant to the point I am making, I am able to look past my own wants and needs and am looking at the club and the constant down scaling that Waggott overlooks.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I never go, its irrelevant to the point I am making, I am able to look past my own wants and needs and am looking at the club and the constant down scaling that Waggott overlooks.

Exactly Roversfan99. You dont go so dont lecturing people who use it sometimes like me. 

Rovers fans dont go to the Blues Bar on non match days. Opening it during the week is pointless. People dont go out drinking during the week at night. 

I was in there a couple weeks ago and they was just 5 of us there in at Dinner time. We were the only ones during our time in there which was about hour and half. 

So from cost point of view its isnt cost affective. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tbh Stuart, The entire town of Blackburn is dead tbh. More of East Lancashire is the same sorry to say Stuart. 

I don't see many people having the funds to go Blues Bar on a regular basics within the local area. 

Why not just close the whole club down then. Blackburn's dead, nobody has any money, can't run a bar/cafe/restaurant during the week, let's just shut the whole lot down and save everyone money.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Why not just close the whole club down then. Blackburn's dead, nobody has any money, can't run a bar/cafe/restaurant during the week, let's just shut the whole lot down and save everyone money.

Are you going to visit Blues Bar during the week? Or are you busy at work? 

Rovers fans dont go to the Blues Bar on non match days. Opening it during the week is pointless. People dont go out drinking during the week at night. 

I was in there a couple weeks ago and they was just 5 of us there in at Dinner time. We were the only ones during our time in there which was about hour and half. 

So from cost point of view its isnt cost affective. 

Perhaps people don't go in because it is overpriced and rubbish?

Plenty of places open in Blackburn. If it was as bad as you make out there would be no shops or restaurants open all week.

I just hope you don't bring up FFP rules as an excuse for the club in the near future. Generating non matchday income is an essential part of avoiding FFP issues and we ain't going to do that by closing everything down.

Are you going to visit Blues Bar during the week? Or are you busy at work? 

See above. Its overpriced and rubbish. Put what people want on at a decent price and I might, though I don't live in the Blackburn conurbation so probably not.

Just now, JHRover said:

Perhaps people don't go in because it is overpriced and rubbish?

Plenty of places open in Blackburn. If it was as bad as you make out there would be no shops or restaurants open all week.

I just hope you don't bring up FFP rules as an excuse for the club in the near future. Generating non matchday income is an essential part of avoiding FFP issues and we ain't going to do that by closing everything down.

In the Ewood area? 

A couple of butty shops and McDs. 

Just now, JHRover said:

See above. Its overpriced and rubbish. Put what people want on at a decent price and I might, though I don't live in the Blackburn conurbation so probably not.

So you are travel during the week for lunch on a regular basics? 

But now you just say you dont live in Blackburn area like myself so why would travel to Blues Bar when we have pubs/restuarants closest to us? Plus them the added cost travelling home and there

In the Ewood area? 

A couple of butty shops and McDs. 

Fernhurst across the road. Brewers Fayre or whatever it is at Lower Darwen. 

150,000 on the doorstep. 

Why did Fylde bother opening their restaurant and bar in a field on the outskirts of Kirkham?

Just now, JHRover said:

Fernhurst across the road. Brewers Fayre or whatever it is at Lower Darwen. 

150,000 on the doorstep. 

Why did Fylde bother opening their restaurant and bar in a field on the outskirts of Kirkham?

Fair enough. 

150,000 people who are busy with other things like Family and working. 

I dont know. But Am I going to travel all the way to Fylde to go a restaurant? Nope im not. 

Waggott was involved in the downscaling of Coventry and Charlton wasn't he ?

Perhaps that's his real area of expertise - cost saving to absent owners. 

Have him and this manager really been hired to build the club back up again or streamline it to run at its current level ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Waggott was involved in the downscaling of Coventry and Charlton wasn't he ?

Perhaps that's his real area of expertise - cost saving to absent owners. 

Have him and this manager really been hired to build the club back up again or streamline it to run at its current level ?

Even if the latter is true tomphil from a business p.o.v it doesn't make any sense in shutting the bar permanently. If it isn't making enough revenue simply redevelop it. I am sorry but we have been told that we now have money at the club, take approx. 200k from that and gut the place, turn it into somewhere that people want to go, and as JHRover said serve some real beer at local prices.

A lot of the pubs in that area are charging extortionate amounts (The Station at Cherry Tree, Beehive) but they are remaining open and in some cases thriving. The work done at Cherry Tree cricket club shows that with some imagination and investment people will come- there's a waiting list for members there now, or at least was as of 6 months ago.

There is a lot of room at Ewood and we could easily accommodate a good pub / evening restaurant. At Aston Villa you can eat in the directors lounge midweek for anything between £20 - £50 per head, depending on the option selected, as it allows the trainee / junior chefs to prepare your meal. On more than one occasion I've took the mrs there and every single night it's been like eating in a fine dining establishment for an affordable price - never a bad word to say about it.

When I was a kid I'm sure the John Lewis suite was open for Sunday lunches, Mothers Day etc.

There is all sorts the modern day club could be trying with the plethora of hospitality/catering we have, yet just scale everything back to cut costs is the seeming modus operandi.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

When I was a kid I'm sure the John Lewis suite was open for Sunday lunches, Mothers Day etc.

There is all sorts the modern day club could be trying with the plethora of hospitality/catering we have, yet just scale everything back to cut costs is the seeming modus operandi.

Which is the John Lewis suite?

18 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

As other club's look to constantly boost their income streams, we downsize and downsize.

AFC Fylde, currently bottom half of the fifth tier rake it in with their conference centre, hotel, cafe, sportsbar, Italian restaurant. Yet, we are pretty much a shell operation.

The 'Club that Jack Built', ay?

Can personally confirm that AFC Fylde do not "rake it in". Almost all of those facilities are struggling massively on non-matchdays. They're desperate for more people when games aren't on, and have been struggling since they rebranded and have tried everything from refurbishments, and hiring new marketing people such as myself.

Really wouldn't shock me if they ended up scaling back their facilities, OR spending massively to try and market them (and probably failing)

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

Can personally confirm that AFC Fylde do not "rake it in". Almost all of those facilities are struggling massively on non-matchdays. They're desperate for more people when games aren't on, and have been struggling since they rebranded and have tried everything from refurbishments, and hiring new marketing people such as myself.

And yet it is still open. They havent given up and taken the easy option. They want to try and turn it around.

Just now, JHRover said:

And yet it is still open. They havent given up and taken the easy option. They want to try and turn it around.

Blues Bar has been open on non-matchdays for much longer, and they have a chairman who is very resilient and doesn't like to see things fail. The Hotel, Sports Bar and Restaurant really struggle, they get no business on a non-matchday and based off of my viewing in the summer (June to be specific) I really can't see them lasting even half as long as the Blues Bar did open on non-matchdays.

What DOES bother me, is that we spent £50,000 on Blues just two years ago, a year and half ago actually. Another failed investment.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

Really wouldn't shock me if they ended up scaling back their facilities, OR spending massively to try and market them (and probably failing)

I'm sure they appreciate you publicly revealing that and taking their money despite anticipating failure.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

I'm sure they appreciate you publicly revealing that and taking their money despite anticipating failure.

I haven't taken any money from AFC Fylde I don't understand your point. I went for a job interview, got the job, and the job was then discontinued and I never started. The Chairman admitting the club couldn't afford it. They needed someone like myself simply because the facilities where failing. They'll either bite the bullet and push on marketing and try again, or it'll fail. They struggle even more so than Blues does.

Edited by JoeH

19 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

Take the blinkers off Chaddy.

Look at what the Brown family did developing Crow Wood at Burnley out of nothing.

Look at what Fred Walker did developing Stanley House out of nothing.

Entrepreneurs with Imagination.

I've never heard of Chow wood.

Unfortunately I've heard of Fred Walker.

10 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The John Lewis Suite was open during the week prior to the ground redevelopment, Matt. When I worked in Blackburn, me and the Mrs went for our dinner one day and I was delighted to see Kenny and all the players in there for their mid day meal. I remember, the bar man was temporarily away from the bar and Shearer, fed up of waiting, got up and poured himself a pint. The food was good as well.

• Like 1