BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke v Rovers Nov 30

8 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Tonebola was a professional footballer for 18 years and he’s been a manager on and off for another 18 years. So at 56 he’s been involved in professional football his whole adult life. Therefore, it would be utterly ridiculous to think we as fans know more than him about football. However, I don’t know whether it’s a case of he can’t see the wood for the trees but he does seem really really really consistently slow on the uptake for things that seem bloody obvious no brainer decisions. 

Brentford was a great example of this. Things that have been said on here, up and down the terraces, in pubs, in homes are finally tried and we look imperious. Even little things like last season we’d lost 9 from 11 everyone was saying play Travis and Reed together and he couldn’t bring himself to do it. Finally, tries it vs play off Derby and we smash them off the park. Go figure.

Hes an enigma. 

I’m not sure if this was from Hugh Mcllvaney. The value of experience is directly proportional to the intelligence that’s exposed to it. Send a cabbage round the world it won’t come back an expert in geography it will come back has a cabbge.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Bennett dropped and then the guy who replaced him “potentially injured”.

How (in)convenient.

Without meaning to get into an argument with you or anything, you seem to be suspicious of almost every injury that happens.

I only find injuries suspicious when the player is being linked with a move away, as cover for them being unsettled. But I can't envision a convo where Nyambe agrees with TM to pretend he is injured so he can play Bennett again. I just don't see it, sorry. He's more likely to just wax lyrical about his Captain Fantastic again, to the fans and other players. I don't think he feels he needs to make any excuse to play Benno.

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

Without meaning to get into an argument with you or anything, you seem to be suspicious of almost every injury that happens.

I only find injuries suspicious when the player is being linked with a move away, as cover for them being unsettled. But I can't envision a convo where Nyambe agrees with TM to pretend he is injured so he can play Bennett again. I just don't see it, sorry. He's more likely to just wax lyrical about his Captain Fantastic again, to the fans and other players. I don't think he feels he needs to make any excuse to play Benno.

Grant Hanley and his leg changing bandage, Ryan 'he'll be out for another few weeks' Nelson only to pop up on Spurs bench 2 days later !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Nyambe has had problems with the hamstring before which has kept him out for long periods.  If there is any doubt I would prefer we rest him until the Derby game next week.

Makes sense to me. I rate Nyambe a lot but like a lot of other quick players he's prone to muscle pulls and strain type injuries.

Regarding Gallagher,  I'm not his biggest fan but surely if he is going to play he should be up front centrally and not out on the wing. 

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think Gallagher is getting off lightly in terms of people overstating the proportion of games he has played wide. He has played central in at least half of his games and has been awful in all but one of them.

Service has been awful to him. Barely any chances created for him apart from PNE goal. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think Gallagher is getting off lightly in terms of people overstating the proportion of games he has played wide. He has played central in at least half of his games and has been awful in all but one of them.

In which he scored two goals proving if the service is there he can notch. Surely when you pay 5 million for a striker you try and play to his strengths not ask him to do something he hasn't really done before, like be a back to goal target man.

Get balls in front of this lad he'll score a few.

• Like 5

Just now, tomphil said:

In which he scored two goals proving if the service is there he can notch. Surely when you pay 5 million for a striker you try and play to his strengths not ask him to do something he hasn't really done before, like be a back to goal target man.

1 goal. As ive said before, whilst service hasnt been great I dont think he will ever be a goalscorer because he doesnt anticipate chances, his movement is non existence and technically he is below par. Look at Rhodes when he played for us, especially at the start in a poor team, no particularly stand out attributes but he knew where the ball would drop. Dack is the same to an extent, so many goals from close range.

Im not sure what type of service that would actually supposedly suit him. He needs to learn how to hold the ball up though, you cant always run onto the ball although hes not great at doing that either.

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don’t expect Nyambe would agree to any of it. I think conversations are kept internal and then Mowbray tells the press whatever they need to hear. Is Nyambe going to go to the papers and say ‘I’m fit to play but I’ve been sidelined’?

These players may genuinely be injured but it works out very well if they are ‘injured’ rather than dropped because Mowbray would rather play X player as the backlash is far less.

At this point I have no faith in Mowbray to pick an XI to win a game and it’s all about negating the opposition. Just as it was with Bowyer. That will draw criticism. Injuries don’t.

13 hours ago, Nelsonthedog said:

The only change id make is to bring in Williams at left back possibly.. then it's a tough choice of downing or rothwell on the left side.

It's not a choice - Rothwell is a much better player.

Until Downing gets roasted at LB he's the starter there as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 8

Our reasonably healthy squad, with 9 pts in the last 12, on the road vs a suddenly resurgent team with new manager. If it turns out, this is probably a good test for Rovers. 

We are in a much better place than we were two months ago, vs Luton. I have high expectations at Stoke. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JoeH said:

Burnley lose heavily to a lot of teams because of this. They will finish low down in their league. We don't want to do that.

I'd be amazed if Burnley finish lower in their league than we do in ours.

One of their strengths is that every player knows what is required. Yes they do get beaten at times but less than Mowbray's lets change the team because the opposition's full back once made an overlapping run technique has.

As I've said before lets give the opposition something to worry about by plaing to our strengths......Lets be positive not negative by changing our tactics to nulify the opposition

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I'd be amazed if Burnley finish lower in their league than we do in ours.

One of their strengths is that every player knows what is required. Yes they do get beaten at times but less than Mowbray's lets change the team because the opposition's full back once made an overlapping run technique has.

As I've said before lets give the opposition something to worry about by plaing to our strengths......Lets be positive not negative by changing our tactics to nulify the opposition

Ah, that infamous L1 game where we played 2 LBs to counter their RB.

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

I agree up to a point but you could argue most strikers will score a few if shooting chances are laid on a plate for them. Ideally you need your strikers to to be able to 1) make their own shooting opportunities 2) make opening for other players.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

1 goal. As ive said before, whilst service hasnt been great I dont think he will ever be a goalscorer because he doesnt anticipate chances, his movement is non existence and technically he is below par. Look at Rhodes when he played for us, especially at the start in a poor team, no particularly stand out attributes but he knew where the ball would drop. Dack is the same to an extent, so many goals from close range.

Im not sure what type of service that would actually supposedly suit him. He needs to learn how to hold the ball up though, you cant always run onto the ball although hes not great at doing that either.

The thing that Rhodes had was his sense of anticipation of what was likely to happen in any given situation and his calmness in the act of shooting at goal. You rarely saw him give the ball more power than was needed to get the ball over the line and you rarely saw him miss hit the ball. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Biggest issue with Gallagher is TM trying to mould him into something he's not. Sometimes doing that works out, other times it doesn't, such is life.

Replacing DG was always going to be hard but targeting players with a similar style of play would have been a better bet.

If Everton are going to keep wasting Cenk Tosin then he's more than welcome to come here in loan in January and fire us up the league.

I wish.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree up to a point but you could argue most strikers will score a few if shooting chances are laid on a plate for them. Ideally you need your strikers to to be able to 1) make their own shooting opportunities 2) make opening for other players.

True but even Rhodes couldn't do that and Graham is sadly fading so you wee with the willy you have. Mowbray signed him so he has to get the best out of him some how. Galloping up and down the wing won't do that and the only time he's looked effective in terms of goal threat is Preston where the team went on the front foot and looked to get it in the box.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Service has been awful to him. Barely any chances created for him apart from PNE goal. 

Yes, you have a point but to defend the players who provide the service, SG has to find space in the box for them to find him. It maybe a confidence thing with him but he is easily bullied by defenders. Watch DG he tries to find space, create space for Dack or at least make the defender's life hard. Neither SG and BB do this so are never going to get many chances or create chances for others. They usually hold their position next to the Central Defender and hide

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

What into ?........a footballer? He's onto a loser then?

is`nt a good manager supposed to get the most out of average players,kenny turned atkins and wilcox into key players,clough was a master at turning rejects and derided players into good ones,all about man management imo,hughes got the max out of emerton and bentley,iv`e never seen mowbray get the best out of anybody tbh,he goes the opposite way and drags them down with rigid formations and plays  them out of position,if you gave gallagher to a good man manager i can guarantee he`d look 3 times the player he does at the moment,admittedly he`s never going to break the scoring charts,but make the most out of him,get players round him who can benefit from knockdowns and use him at set pieces,ffs look at the size of him he should be terrorising defences from free kicks and corners

Just now, Scotland1 said:

If Nyambe is out 

Walton

Lenihan Tosin Williams

JRC.                                      Downing

Travis Evans

Dack

AA.    Graham

Why change the formation when it looked like we were onto a winning formula?

Nasty feeling it will be Bennett for Nyambe, Armstrong for Graham, and Gally on the wing.