BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke v Rovers Nov 30

Just now, Blue blood said:

Agree. Along with starting our better players like Graham and Rothwell, and dropping weaker ones like Bennett at right back and Williams anywhere, it makes a huge difference. Two defensive mids so Travis isn't doing all the work also makes a huge difference too.  

Lenihan is part of the spine of the team, with Travis, Dack, Graham. We need a new goalie and long-term striker (if Gally won't kick on)

Just now, Amo said:

Lenihan is part of the spine of the team, with Travis, Dack, Graham. We need a new goalie and long-term striker (if Gally won't kick on)

Agree, but I'd add another hard nut leader centre back (a la Andy Todd) as Lenihen will miss half a season with injury. 

• Like 2

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I wasn't aware that a number of starting XI regulars weren't far off a suspension. I don't think anybody who watched today could deny that Walton and Nyambe were probably our weakest players on the pitch. The former was at fault for our goal-against, and the latter was at fault for a number of defensive mistakes: getting beat in the air by McClean on numerous occasions, giving the ball away, getting caught out of position at the wrong times, etc. Maybe keeping Bennett sidelined in the last couple of matches hasn't got anything to do with Mowbray believing that Nyambe deserves his chance, but in protection of Bennett. Not meaning to dampen the win, today, but I think Bennett is still firmly in the first-team plans, because I have a suspicion that he's been "protected" over the last coupe of matches. Mowbray did say that was "pleased" for Nyambe after the Brentford match, which seems like a sympathetic tone to me, rather than a true appraisal for how well he played. But it's true that Nyambe was fairly crap today.

Yeah, our priorities in January should be a new keeper, a new right-back and a new left-back.

• Backroom
Just now, OnePhilT said:

I wasn't aware that a number of starting XI regulars weren't far off a suspension. I don't think anybody who watched today could deny that Walton and Nyambe were probably our weakest players on the pitch. The former was at fault for our goal-against, and the latter was at fault for a number of defensive mistakes: getting beat in the air by McClean on numerous occasions, giving the ball away, getting caught out of position at the wrong times, etc. Maybe keeping Bennett sidelined in the last couple of matches hasn't got anything to do with Mowbray believing that Nyambe deserves his chance, but in protection of Bennett. Not meaning to dampen the win, today, but I think Bennett is still firmly in the first-team plans, because I have a suspicion that he's been "protected" over the last coupe of matches. Mowbray did say that was "pleased" for Nyambe after the Brentford match, which seems like a sympathetic tone to me, rather than a true appraisal for how well he played. But it's true that Nyambe was fairly crap today.

I suspect you may be right, but in fairness to Nyambe (and Rothwell) they've only just starting getting a proper run of games. Bennett has had a number of poor games at RB so Nyambe deserves more time to show what he can do. Similarly Gallagher has been ineffective out wide multiple times (not his position though so I blame TM more for that than SG) so again I'd expect Rothwell to be given more games to show what he can do. It's not like the others haven't had their chance. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I suspect you may be right, but in fairness to Nyambe (and Rothwell) they've only just starting getting a proper run of games. Bennett has had a number of poor games at RB so Nyambe deserves more time to show what he can do. Similarly Gallagher has been ineffective out wide multiple times (not his position though so I blame TM more for that than SG) so again I'd expect Rothwell to be given more games to show what he can do. It's not like the others haven't had their chance. 

As is Evans, but he covered every blade of grass today. Pros have to be ready to take their opportunities.

Well done lads. I’ve knocked both TM and SG recently, so credit now where it’s due. Keep it up and let’s see where it gets us. 

Three quality signings in January - keeper, centre half and striker - and we could be  knocking on the door of promotion. 

If only Venky’s could be convinced of our position, if only they could be persuaded to invest in the club’s future, they could then be closer to the Holy Grail than they possibly realise.

(I know in the real world, it’s not gonna happen before anyone tells me but I like to dream)

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

As is Evans, but he covered every blade of grass today. Pros have to be ready to take their opportunities.

Evans is a much more experienced player tbf, also as has been mentioned had his international boss watching today so some extra added motivation. No problem with keeping Evans/Travis together as a midfield pairing if he keeps this up, although history suggests he won't. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Well fucking done my Rovers I'm still celebrating somethin tell me would be a great weekend again yeees!
I knew even being on that spot poters of shet are not so bad cause they have quality on attack and i also knew they will make (as Barnsley) the better match so far on their poor seasson and even like that we won a tight enough match wich we needed to wi by the way and we did it trying harder and being better in general so im very  fuking happy...will be good to read moaners this days jaja...
We are showing a very good level now the task now is  to be able to play all alog the 90 minutes like we do some parts.

Our players now will have a much more better trust on themself and they try more things...and well a victory let you train during week in a proper way...is always easier to prepare a match like that and that's good  cause blody rams will be a better prove anyway i trust my colors and i know that a victory is possible again...Come On You Rovers!!! Let's to fucking prove this our level and not just causality!!! And let'sto finish year at the top i think is possible.!! And you? 
#COYBBR 
#ImRoversTillIDie 
#TheMexicanRover

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

The answer is not Bennett. If Nyambe can’t do it then we need a new right back.

• Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

There's a cliche about having a hod-carrier, but it usually means the "Rovers defensive midfielder". When we win, they've "held the fort". When we lose, "they offer nothing", but the latter to me always relates to the players in front of him.

As you suggested, Evans has been right up there as far as the best player on the pitch is concerned. Against Brentford, he saved us from going to 1-1, and he just blocked them at every opportunity he got. Today - perhaps because most other players weren't at it as much - you could argue that he was the standout player for us. He did exactly the same as he did on Wednesday, and it's a joy to watch somebody get (legally!) stuck in like that.

Travis is better at the distribution side of play, while Evans is better at the "ugly" side of play. What's not to like about that midfield partnership? It just works, and the remaining three or four attack-minded players are a bit more free to do their thing.

I've always felt that Evans is a bit of class. We can laud our Ruben Rochinas and so on, but like it or not, we need his type in the side to allow our attacking play to be more care-free. A Travis/Holtby-style partnership - although "nicer" on paper - just can't have the same effect on the remaining players.

Great post. Simply put its Evans shirt to lose. Compounds Johnnos drop of even further but there is genuine competition in this area for now.

Walton again for the goal but to be fair he’s pulled a few worldies off here but we need better https://www.skysports.com/football/stoke-vs-blackburn/409573

Tony Alan Pardew Mowbray lives on another week. On a human side I’m pleased and hope it continues but we have gone from a league point of severely underperforming to now looking like we are just underperforming. Still a long way to go!

Lastly players well done today. This is the standard! This is what playing at Rovers entails and should be the norm.

People say the same things every time Evans has a couple of good games and they're still high on euphoria. Usually happens around the time his contract is running out. He's a tidy player on his day but more often than not he's been anonymous for us. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, Amo said:

People say the same things every time Evans has a couple of good games and they're still high on euphoria. Usually happens around the time his contract is running out. He's a tidy player on his day but more often than not he's been anonymous for us. 

Completely agree. It's up to Evans to prove he can do this consistantly because he certainly hasn't in the 7 years or so he's now been at the club. 

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

The answer is not Bennett. If Nyambe can’t do it then we need a new right back.

110 percent correct.

He needs proper back up anyway and let Bennett do what he's actually good at i.e backup for right side, right side centre mid. 

• Like 2

Bennett playing where he should and played well. I'd be more than happy with Nyambe at full back and Armstrong or  Bennett in front of him.

Thought Armstrong showed a real battling side to his game today especially early on.

Rothwell clearly wasn't 100% fit, but I guess TM felt he couldn't drop him after Wednesday.

Hopefully that goal gives SG a bit of confidence. I would continue to use him as a 60th minute sub for a few more games. 

Kudos to Tony for getting these players going again and I bet plenty of Championship teams would be envious of a squad that can afford to have Holtby as a 70th minute substitute.

Roll on Derby. Same team if you are reading this please boss! 

Edited by Wegerleswiggle

Interesting comment from Stoke site:

A bit OTT, they were just miles better than us at the basics.

They won the majority of first balls and pretty much every second ball. Always been majorly impressed by Lenihan and thought he was a monster at the back for them again today.

They used the ball well and had distinct patterns to their play, they knew when to just put their foot through ball and when to commit players forward in attack.

Nothing special but they were very well drilled

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/292243/bradley-dack#ixzz66mwTrV7n

• Like 4