BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke v Rovers Nov 30

Just taking a look at Stoke's squad from today, and without having particularly followed the fates and form of some of these players in the last couple of years, it seems astonishing that they're second from bottom.

Sam Vokes, Butland, Tom Ince, Joe Allen...Diouf and Nick Powell coming on as subs.

What has gone wrong?

Just now, bluebruce said:

Just taking a look at Stoke's squad from today, and without having particularly followed the fates and form of some of these players in the last couple of years, it seems astonishing that they're second from bottom.

Sam Vokes, Butland, Tom Ince, Joe Allen...Diouf and Nick Powell coming on as subs.

What has gone wrong?

I'd take Butland out that lot  it even he had made ridiculous errors this season. They have major problems 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amo said:

Interesting comment from Stoke site:

A bit OTT, they were just miles better than us at the basics.

They won the majority of first balls and pretty much every second ball. Always been majorly impressed by Lenihan and thought he was a monster at the back for them again today.

They used the ball well and had distinct patterns to their play, they knew when to just put their foot through ball and when to commit players forward in attack.

Nothing special but they were very well drilled

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/292243/bradley-dack#ixzz66mwTrV7n

A few other choice comments from that thread...

'They passed it around nicely. Had good movement and generally looked like a side that had a plan. It is ott but to me it looked like they were playing a different sport. Streets ahead of us.'

'They were awful yet still passed it through our poor excuse of a midfield. They actually moved off the ball unlike our useless twats who stand next to the opposition in the vain hope they won’t get the ball.'

On Dack:

'Dack was the best player I’ve seen this season but we put him under no pressure.'

'Didn’t even think he was their best player. Thought Lenihan and their right back were superb.'

'He completely controlled the game. Started just off the forward and when they went a goal ahead sat in midfield. Totally dominant against our static 'midfielders'.'

'Didn’t think he did much really. Neat and tidy on the ball but they have to carry him as he’s not one for doing much work off the ball. Would be very surprised if a Premier League club took a gamble on him.'

'Dack was a constant threat here too last season. Sadly, he is way above our midfielders, even though we have spent many millions.'

'Far and away the best player on show today, as a striker he kept coming deep, extra midfielder if you like, can’t remember him giving a ball away, always found space ( not difficult against us I suppose), scored of course and generally telling his team mates where to play the ball next after he laid ball off to them, all round fantastic display by him and he doesn’t even look like a footballer!!'

'Another reason why not playing a proper DM was a dreadful mistake.'

Always interesting to see what fans of other teams think of your players, as they're looking for different things to what we are, and aren't emotionally invested or previously frustrated/enamoured by our players. The usual spectrum too, of some thinking Dack is nothing special whilst others think he looked fantastic and dominated the game, as well as one saying we were awful but others being steadily impressed with us.

The bloke who said not playing a proper DM was a mistake is spot on. Every team in the league figured out last season that the best way to stop Dack is to put someone on him fairly tight and not give him any room. If you don't do that he'll wreak havoc between the lines. I don't know why Stoke forgot this lesson.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

A few other choice comments from that thread...

'They passed it around nicely. Had good movement and generally looked like a side that had a plan. It is ott but to me it looked like they were playing a different sport. Streets ahead of us.'

'They were awful yet still passed it through our poor excuse of a midfield. They actually moved off the ball unlike our useless twats who stand next to the opposition in the vain hope they won’t get the ball.'

On Dack:

'Dack was the best player I’ve seen this season but we put him under no pressure.'

'Didn’t even think he was their best player. Thought Lenihan and their right back were superb.'

'He completely controlled the game. Started just off the forward and when they went a goal ahead sat in midfield. Totally dominant against our static 'midfielders'.'

'Didn’t think he did much really. Neat and tidy on the ball but they have to carry him as he’s not one for doing much work off the ball. Would be very surprised if a Premier League club took a gamble on him.'

'Dack was a constant threat here too last season. Sadly, he is way above our midfielders, even though we have spent many millions.'

'Far and away the best player on show today, as a striker he kept coming deep, extra midfielder if you like, can’t remember him giving a ball away, always found space ( not difficult against us I suppose), scored of course and generally telling his team mates where to play the ball next after he laid ball off to them, all round fantastic display by him and he doesn’t even look like a footballer!!'

'Another reason why not playing a proper DM was a dreadful mistake.'

Always interesting to see what fans of other teams think of your players, as they're looking for different things to what we are, and aren't emotionally invested or previously frustrated/enamoured by our players. The usual spectrum too, of some thinking Dack is nothing special whilst others think he looked fantastic and dominated the game, as well as one saying we were awful but others being steadily impressed with us.

The bloke who said not playing a proper DM was a mistake is spot on. Every team in the league figured out last season that the best way to stop Dack is to put someone on him fairly tight and not give him any room. If you don't do that he'll wreak havoc between the lines. I don't know why Stoke forgot this lesson.

I lived in Stoke a few years ago. By far some of the nicest people and they deserve better from the shower they watch and endure every 90mins. Very proud set of towns. I wish them the best. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ossydave said:

I'd take Butland out that lot  it even he had made ridiculous errors this season. They have major problems 

The last time I saw Vokes and Ince they were just too good for this level. Last time I saw Powell he'd be good backup for Dack. Diouf was rubbish for us but had that season where he hit 11 in the Prem. Looking at his career stats though, it seems that was a bit of an aberration in England (three good Bundesliga seasons before that though).

On paper it doesn't seem like they should be doing as badly as all that, but reading what their fans are saying it seems they have a porous defence (sounds familiar) and don't work hard enough off the ball.

Just now, Scotland1 said:

I lived in Stoke a few years ago. By far some of the nicest people and they deserve better from the shower they watch and endure every 90mins. Very proud set of towns. I wish them the best. 

I lived down there too, in Newcastle-under-Lyme. Have to say, all the kids were wearing United, Liverpool, Chelsea jerseys etc when they were second tier, then suddenly they got promoted and everyone was a Stoke fan! Was some very clear fair-weathering/glory-hunting behaviour, but to be fair their attendances seem to have held up reasonably so far after returning to the second tier. Yeh generally pretty nice people though, even if my first time being called 'duck' by a fully-grown man was a little unsettling.

I lived down there too, in Newcastle-under-Lyme. Have to say, all the kids were wearing United, Liverpool, Chelsea jerseys etc when they were second tier, then suddenly they got promoted and everyone was a Stoke fan! Was some very clear fair-weathering/glory-hunting behaviour, but to be fair their attendances seem to have held up reasonably so far after returning to the second tier. Yeh generally pretty nice people though, even if my first time being called 'duck' by a fully-grown man was a little unsettling.

Rather duck than cock!

• Like 1

The last time I saw Vokes and Ince they were just too good for this level. Last time I saw Powell he'd be good backup for Dack. Diouf was rubbish for us but had that season where he hit 11 in the Prem. Looking at his career stats though, it seems that was a bit of an aberration in England (three good Bundesliga seasons before that though).

On paper it doesn't seem like they should be doing as badly as all that, but reading what their fans are saying it seems they have a porous defence (sounds familiar) and don't work hard enough off the ball.

Not sure about vokes but that's exactly the problem with ince,  he thinks he's better than he is, not a player you want in a scrap.

I'd rather you play for us than Powell, prick, with a prick attitude 

Just now, Ossydave said:

Not sure about vokes but that's exactly the problem with ince,  he thinks he's better than he is, not a player you want in a scrap.

I'd rather you play for us than Powell, prick, with a prick attitude 

He is a prick. But plenty of people would say I am too! Plus I'm nearly 35 and injury-prone. I'll take a grand a week though, so I'm cheap as chips...

Excellent bit of play by Dack to put Bennett clear for the second goal. Nothing spectacular but good touch, turn and weighted ball.

Another great win. 4 from 5 now Tony Mowbray finally does what the fans have been screaming for since September.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Great win, decent performance. After much conjecture Mowbray went with the same team and I think that was really important as we looked comfortable in the first half. I also thought the changes he made kept us fluid and balanced. When Stoke equalised I would have shaken hands on a point then as they looked to be in the ascendancy but our winner was a joy to behold with Dack, Bennett and Gallagher all doing really well. Well done once again to Mowbray and the players.

Just to temper my elation I have to think back to the two or three winning runs we went on last season which were precursors to awful runs.

• Like 2

Tough game and one in which we were on the backfoot for long spells.  However, we defended well and looked well organised.  Lenihan was a tower of strength at the back and Evans was outstanding in midfield.  Evans really did run the show and looked a class act.  The second goal was a well worked move with a neat bit of play from Dack and an excellent run and pull back by Bennett - who looks so much better in his proper position - and a good finish from Gallagher.

Mowbray has taken a lot of stick recently but fair play to the guy he's come up with a winning formula - just need a decent goalkeeper in January.  I thought his use of subs today was very good and kept the shape and balance of the team.  Bennett looks so much better on the right wing than at full-back.

In fairness, I thought Stoke played pretty well but lacked a cutting edge.  It was an entertaining game and its been a great week with three wins.

• Like 8