BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke v Rovers Nov 30

9 hours ago, 47er said:

Watching Sky 2 minute highlights it looks like we were under the cosh for the entire game and were lucky!

Certainly wasn't anything like that.  We controlled much of the first half and in the second, when Stoke came at us more, we defended well and looked far more organised that we have in some away games.  The back four look much better balanced, Evans and Travis look a very competitive midfield pairing and having Bennett and Gallagher come on and play in their natural positions - and both play extremely well - was a real bonus.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Gallagher was good when he came on. The goal aside he was full of running and on two or three occasions he chased down long, pressure relieving balls and, despite being behind the defender got there first and held the ball up. It helped the rest of the team up the pitch. His movement for the goal was very good. He feigned to go one way, checked and went another way. Bennett read his movement too.

He did this from a central position, not stuck on the touchline.

Balls in front of him and him running onto things, an attacking athletic striker rather than an out and out target man or Rhodes type poacher. No point people judging him against those he's a different kind of player altogether with different attributes.

The manager signed him so it's up to him to get the best out of him and play to his strengths although i fear he's been signed to be multipositional every bloody week.  Him replacing Graham as sub in games is the best way to use him for now imo although he more suits the counter attacking style than anything else.

He can serve us well used properly utilising what he has.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think he's having a dig at Sky rather than the performance. 

Sky have 12 mins highlights on today of the game. They can only broadcast this after The FL quest show has been on Saturday night unless they show the game live

Rovers was on 8.45am this morning. And again 4.15pm.on Sky channel 403

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Balls in front of him and him running onto things, an attacking athletic striker rather than an out and out target man or Rhodes type poacher. No point people judging him against those he's a different kind of player altogether with different attributes.

The manager signed him so it's up to him to get the best out of him and play to his strengths although i fear he's been signed to be multipositional every bloody week.  Him replacing Graham as sub in games is the best way to use him for now imo although he more suits the counter attacking style than anything else.

He can serve us well used properly utilising what he has.

That's the difference. If you can get around the sides of teams and play the ball in it makes life so much easier for the strikers. Defenders get turned around so they're running back towards their own goal. It's a lot easier to lose your maker then.  Lumping it up from the halfway line makes it easy for the defenders because they see the ball and whoever they are marking.

The thing about Dack's pass to Bennett was he gave it early instead of taking an extra touch like lots of players do.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Sky have 12 mins highlights on today of the game. They can only broadcast this after The FL quest show has been on Saturday night unless they show the game live

Rovers was on 8.45am this morning. And again 4.15pm.on Sky channel 403

And?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's the difference. If you can get around the sides of teams and play the ball in it makes life so much easier for the strikers. Defenders get turned around so they're running back towards their own goal. It's a lot easier to lose your maker then.  Lumping it up from the halfway line makes it easy for the defenders because they see the ball and whoever they are marking.

The thing about Dack's pass to Bennett was he gave it early instead of taking an extra touch like lots of players do.

Similarities in that second goal yesterday to some on that clip of us tanking Barnsley about 30 years ago that popped up on here recently. The crisp quick direct passing forwards.  Maybe they've had it on loop in the canteen at Brockhall ?

Just now, tomphil said:

I'd have Mowbray down as more of an Only Fools and Horses man to be honest ?

More Boys From the Blackstuff I reckon so he can identify with the working classes ??. He could do a good Yozzer but with a smoggie accent.

• Like 2

just watched the highlights back.

No way Walton could get to that ball cleanly with the players in front of him. I would say just one of them things. Defenders should have cleared perhaps but it was an OG basically because the front post was overloaded with bodies.

He did make a few good saves though as he did in the Barnsley game.

What a cracking run and absolutely perfect pass from Bennett for the winner. Real desire from Gallagher to get himself in there. Great goal that.

All 3 subs really played well.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue
  • Like 5

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

just watched the highlights back.

No way Walton could get to that ball cleanly with the players in front of him. I would say just one of them things. Defenders should have cleared perhaps but it was an OG basically because the front post was overloaded with bodies.

He did make a few good saves though as he did in the Barnsley game.

What a cracking run and absolutely perfect pass from Bennett for the winner. Real desire from Gallagher to get himself in there. Great goal that.

All 3 subs really played well.

That's why you need players playing on their " Natural " side. If that had been a left footed player that had received that pass maybe the outcome would have been different.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, bazza said:

I'd rather be called "duck" or "cock" than "pal". If anyone calls me "pal" I expect the next move to be a smack in the face. 

I've seen the short highlights and I think people are being a little harsh on Walton.

Listening to radio lancs, Kevin Gallacher said, just before they scored, that Walton was being crowded out mainly by his own players and that he could hardly move.

That's how it looked to me, our players blocked him from getting to the ball.

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

That's how it looked to me, our players blocked him from getting to the ball.

He made a great save when Diouf was clean through and another good save either just before or just after that.

However there is only Travis close to him for the goal and he doesn't really get in Waltons way. Walton just doesn't get high enough and takes his eye off it.

19 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Am I the only seeing that Walton also seemed to take a forearm/elbow to the face from the Hogan on the Stoke goal? See the extended highlights. His head cocks back just as he's going to jump for it. (Although I'm doubting my own eyes a bit given Walton doesn't seem to protest it after...)

Given the way referee's seem to blow up for anything that looks remotely like contact I was expecting the whistle to blow after that incident..

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

He made a great save when Diouf was clean through and another good save either just before or just after that.

However there is only Travis close to him for the goal and he doesn't really get in Waltons way. Walton just doesn't get high enough and takes his eye off it.

His biggest issue with his ability in the air is he isn't brave enough. He has the height. Watch the goal. He is looking the other way and flinching rather than clearing anyone out that is in his way