BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke v Rovers Nov 30

Just now, JoeH said:

He really is. A physical, goal poacher with a great flick and an ability to draw fouls from defenders. I'd love to have Gregory at Rovers, a player with a lot of experience in this division, and if left alone, will score tomorrow.

I wouldnt have him. He is 31 years old man. We have to agree to disagree on him. 

Just now, Nelsonthedog said:

The only change id make is to bring in Williams at left back possibly.. then it's a tough choice of downing or rothwell on the left side.

Rothwell should be playing. The guy is total class. His performance on Wednesday was excellent and unreal. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The side on Wednesday night was well balanced, with that front 6 being the same one that ended the season so well. 

It would be criminal to change things up out of fear of Stoke. That 11 was good off the ball and offers a threat on the break and an out ball.

Just keep it the same. 

40 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'm not saying sit back, I'm simply saying Downing can't mark Gregory, Powell, Batth and other big feckers like Williams can from set pieces.

It's a fair point and probably the only change i'd make if at all. Who'd bet against Bennett being put there instead though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

What I want is for the manager to dispense with his idea to ‘transition’ us into Tika taka football. This group of players love playing heavy metal football and Wednesday was a fine example. We don’t need 70% possession of the ball to beat teams. 

I want Mowbray to keep that 11 and blueprint of high octane football with uncompromising centre halves, workman-like midfielders, lightening quick wingers and a little un off a big un, up top. Everyone busts a gut to get forward and everyone kills themselves to get back. It suits the players and us as fans. We were all buzzing after Wednesday.

The progression is simply to buy better footballers to suit this mould. Upgrade the quality but keep the identity of the team.

Absolutely spot on.

Wednesday's game was exactly how we should be set up to play. 

A set up and tactics like that can, to a certain extent, accommodate more limited players as they don't need to have such a higher level of technical ability in order to play the tika taka game.

The main focus should have been getting a younger Danny Graham type of player in and phasing him in and Graham out. Not getting Gallagher and Brereton and trying to change whole way of playing.

• Like 4

Just now, davulsukur said:

Absolutely spot on.

Wednesday's game was exactly how we should be set up to play. 

A set up and tactics like that can, to a certain extent, accommodate more limited players as they don't need to have such a higher level of technical ability in order to play the tika taka game.

The main focus should have been getting a younger Danny Graham type of player in and phasing him in and Graham out. Not getting Gallagher and Brereton and trying to change whole way of playing.

A direct longer ball game is the way at this level. If you get to the premier League, buy footballers for that then.

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Win with another team wouldn't be the end of the world. But we will get nowhere with constant rotation. Tony needs to grow a pair and realise who his best players are and where to play them. 

Problem as I see it, is I think TM believes in a squad game, whereas he doesn't have a first 11.

• Like 1

Gosh this is boring.

Everybody agrees on no changes from Wednesday and quite right too!

jim has pointed out a revival at Stoke- two wins against fellow strugglers then the misfortune of running into new management at Cardiff and unlucky to lose 1-0.

So yes they are in a relegation slot but let's not forget they were deserved winners against an uninspired disorganised Rovers at Ewood  late last season. They have good players and Goalkeeper Butland seems to have shut up his charity shop.

Brentford are better than Stoke so we should get something. Got a feeling we are overdue a draw. Unless Mowbray thinks Wednesday was an aberration and inspires us to defeat... 

• Like 1

Just now, Nelsonthedog said:

Problem as I see it, is I think TM believes in a squad game, whereas he doesn't have a first 11.

Ya maybe, but rather than keeping players happy with his rotations, I think it can actually stunt their progress and hit their confidence. Plus it is really beginning to grind my gears. 

• Like 3

He talked a year or so ago about it being better in some respects having a smaller squad as it makes the managers day to day job easier.  Not too much sulking or not to many cliques developing and more togetherness.

Since our squad has got bigger so has the chopping, changing and rotating and the new ruthless Tony we craved has gone meeker. Yes he's dropped a few but it's inevitable they get back in every few games. The change of style hasn't helped either i can't think of an average team that has footballed its way out of the Championship recently.