BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke v Rovers Nov 30

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

What I want is for the manager to dispense with his idea to ‘transition’ us into Tika taka football. This group of players love playing heavy metal football and Wednesday was a fine example. We don’t need 70% possession of the ball to beat teams. 

I want Mowbray to keep that 11 and blueprint of high octane football with uncompromising centre halves, workman-like midfielders, lightening quick wingers and a little un off a big un, up top. Everyone busts a gut to get forward and everyone kills themselves to get back. It suits the players and us as fans. We were all buzzing after Wednesday.

The progression is simply to buy better footballers to suit this mould. Upgrade the quality but keep the identity of the team.

Brilliant!

48 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya maybe, but rather than keeping players happy with his rotations, I think it can actually stunt their progress and hit their confidence. Plus it is really beginning to grind my gears. 

Plus, he's not actually keeping players happy with his rotation system anyway.

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

WE don't really have the players to match these physical sides so i don't advocate trying to play them at their own game.  Play our game don't sit back and let them impose themselves.

Agreed. We need a style of football that plays to our strengths, where everyone knows their role and sticks to it. It won't be suited for every team we play, and we may get overturned by the more direct, physical sides but that's football. We'll win more games than if we choose to keep chopping and changing.

Edited by Amo
  • Like 4

I'd be satisfied with a point to arrest our poor away form and continue some positive momentum after 3 home wins going into a decent fixture against Derby at Ewood.

The worst that could happen is another defensive horror show and back to 2-3 goals against. We aren't that far ahead of Stoke especially if they beat us.

I'll never accept going away for a point especially not to a side 2nd bottom of the division but I dont think a draw would be a bad result and would consider it a good weeks work if we got a hard fought point.

I feel Rovers will face a very different Stoke to the fodder that so many other teams have had the pleasure to play against this season.

I am concerned that fitness issues will prevent TM selecting DG a mere 3 days after Wednesday, when I thought he looked knackered well before the end. It may be a big ask for Downing too.

Then again, TM knew DG's age before the last transfer window. We all did. 

I think the probable script is Rovers slipping to a routine defeat in front of a fired-up home crowd. ( I really want to be wrong.)

I was so heartened by Wednesday and feel every win will be vital in what I still think will be a relegation battle.

The January window could/should be vital for this team,....but we all said that 12 months ago.

• Like 1

Through accident or design Tonebola managed to stumble on a team and formation that clicked.

It was hardly groundbreaking stuff in fact us mere enthusiastic amateur plebs have been saying it for months. That’s to say drop Bennett, drop Gallagher, don’t play Armstrong up front (preferably not at all), play Rothwell and where possible play people in their favoured positions.

I hope he’s seen the light. But I expect to see wingers up front, strikers on the wing and bennett to return. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

What I want is for the manager to dispense with his idea to ‘transition’ us into Tika taka football. This group of players love playing heavy metal football and Wednesday was a fine example. We don’t need 70% possession of the ball to beat teams. 

I want Mowbray to keep that 11 and blueprint of high octane football with uncompromising centre halves, workman-like midfielders, lightening quick wingers and a little un off a big un, up top. Everyone busts a gut to get forward and everyone kills themselves to get back. It suits the players and us as fans. We were all buzzing after Wednesday.

The progression is simply to buy better footballers to suit this mould. Upgrade the quality but keep the identity of the team.

It really is that simple. Why do people need to complicate things ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

Burnley lose heavily to a lot of teams because of this. They will finish low down in their league. We don't want to do that.

Gregory is more of a physical presence than Danny Graham, don't underestimate him, a top quality centre-forward who we'd be lucky to have an have to watch carefully. I respect your position, but I don't think Stoke and Brentford are similar at all, and we're simply not good enough to ignore that and play the same team anyway.

I wish what you are saying was true but unfortunately the Dingles don't lose heavily very often.

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Through accident or design Tonebola managed to stumble on a team and formation that clicked.

It was hardly groundbreaking stuff in fact us mere enthusiastic amateur plebs have been saying it for months. That’s to say drop Bennett, drop Gallagher, don’t play Armstrong up front (preferably not at all), play Rothwell and where possible play people in their favoured positions.

I hope he’s seen the light. But I expect to see wingers up front, strikers on the wing and bennett to return. 

3 points is good but squad harmony is more important. Better to keep rotating around to keep the cherubs happy. Every now and then we win a few and keep fans and owners happy.

Happy days Tony ain't as daft as he often sounds.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I feel Rovers will face a very different Stoke to the fodder that so many other teams have had the pleasure to play against this season.

I am concerned that fitness issues will prevent TM selecting DG a mere 3 days after Wednesday, when I thought he looked knackered well before the end. It may be a big ask for Downing too.

Then again, TM knew DG's age before the last transfer window. We all did. 

My guess is that Gallagher will play instead of DG. The question is will he play at CF, or will TM revert to type and chuck him out on the wing whilst putting Armstrong or even Dack up top? I'd like to think Gallagher will play his naturaal position, but I can't say I trust the manager to make the right call in this instance.

As for LB, let's hope Downing's fitness allows him to play on Saturday... else we will have to endure another 90+ minutes of Bell, and Stoke will be the only ones who benefit from that. 

• Like 1

Nyambe trained today but they still seem to have question marks over his fitness. Williams isn't playing.

I expect we will see Bennett back in if there's any doubt over Nyambe. For once, I don't necessarily disagree with that, as I really don't want to risk Ryan getting another big injury. As long as he's back in for the game after.

I think we might see Graham dropped for Gallagher. And again, although Graham is definitely the better striker, I'm not sure if I disagree with that. He looks like it's starting to get to his legs, and the games might be too close for him. I feel like I'd rather see him in the last 30 minutes, when he'll be fresher compared to the other players on the pitch and able to deliver more for us. Won't be much good if we've already pissed the game away by then though of course. Just think if he starts he might look leggy and come off after 50-60 anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Nyambe trained today but they still seem to have question marks over his fitness. Williams isn't playing.

I expect we will see Bennett back in if there's any doubt over Nyambe. For once, I don't necessarily disagree with that, as I really don't want to risk Ryan getting another big injury. As long as he's back in for the game after.

I think we might see Graham dropped for Gallagher. And again, although Graham is definitely the better striker, I'm not sure if I disagree with that. He looks like it's starting to get to his legs, and the games might be too close for him. I feel like I'd rather see him in the last 30 minutes, when he'll be fresher compared to the other players on the pitch and able to deliver more for us. Won't be much good if we've already pissed the game away by then though of course. Just think if he starts he might look leggy and come off after 50-60 anyway.

Id rather DG stsrts if possible. Then replaced on 60 mark. He is so important to how we play in my opinion. He is not an impact sub that is going to make too much happen with tired legs around him.

Get him on from the start when the lads are fresh.

Edited by JacknOry

I thought Nyambe went down with cramp?

Just now, davulsukur said:

That’s what I read too.

Our best game of the season in terms of the team looking like a team and it will all change again.

Lenihan should keep the captain’s armband at the very least but Mowbray doesn’t seem to run a meritocracy.

49 minutes ago, tomphil said:

3 points is good but squad harmony is more important. Better to keep rotating around to keep the cherubs happy. Every now and then we win a few and keep fans and owners happy.

Happy days Tony ain't as daft as he often sounds.

Tonebola was a professional footballer for 18 years and he’s been a manager on and off for another 18 years. So at 56 he’s been involved in professional football his whole adult life. Therefore, it would be utterly ridiculous to think we as fans know more than him about football. However, I don’t know whether it’s a case of he can’t see the wood for the trees but he does seem really really really consistently slow on the uptake for things that seem bloody obvious no brainer decisions. 

Brentford was a great example of this. Things that have been said on here, up and down the terraces, in pubs, in homes are finally tried and we look imperious. Even little things like last season we’d lost 9 from 11 everyone was saying play Travis and Reed together and he couldn’t bring himself to do it. Finally, tries it vs play off Derby and we smash them off the park. Go figure.

Hes an enigma. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18069191.rovers-fitness-latest-ryan-nyambe-ahead-stoke-city-trip/

Currently has his thigh and hamstring protected apparently. I don't know if that's been the case for a while or a result of Wednesday.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18069191.rovers-fitness-latest-ryan-nyambe-ahead-stoke-city-trip/

Currently has his thigh and hamstring protected apparently. I don't know if that's been the case for a while or a result of Wednesday.

Bennett dropped and then the guy who replaced him “potentially injured”.

How (in)convenient.

• Like 1

Nyambe has had problems with the hamstring before which has kept him out for long periods.  If there is any doubt I would prefer we rest him until the Derby game next week.

• Like 2

Just now, matt83 said:

Tonebola was a professional footballer for 18 years and he’s been a manager on and off for another 18 years. So at 56 he’s been involved in professional football his whole adult life. Therefore, it would be utterly ridiculous to think we as fans know more than him about football. However, I don’t know whether it’s a case of he can’t see the wood for the trees but he does seem really really really consistently slow on the uptake for things that seem bloody obvious no brainer decisions. 

Brentford was a great example of this. Things that have been said on here, up and down the terraces, in pubs, in homes are finally tried and we look imperious. Even little things like last season we’d lost 9 from 11 everyone was saying play Travis and Reed together and he couldn’t bring himself to do it. Finally, tries it vs play off Derby and we smash them off the park. Go figure.

Hes an enigma. 

Stubborn as a mule and definitely more focused on the good human being angle for me. It's a hard job we know and you want a good vibe around the place but it does seem he puts more stock into that than anything else.

Highly doubtful we will see the same team as Wednesday, if Nyambe had a tight hamstring it would be stupid to risk him anyway.

Regardless of the team though the game will be nothing like Wednesday's either, Stoke will set up completely different to Brentford. 

Such an important game really, another win and we're in a good place going into December. A loss and Wednesday will be instantly wiped from the memory and depression will kick in again.

They have 2 paltry wins at home this season, the same as we have away.

Head says 1-1. Heart says we will nick it 2-1

• Like 1