BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby County (H) - We couldn't make it four... could we?

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Agreed. He played Gallagher and then Buckley out wide while played Bennett at left back.

It’s still a cause for concern.

Bennett did produce a superb cross field pass with his right foot from left back position and didn't let us down. But he mustn't start there.

• Like 1

Good win today and with a clean sheet. 

I thought Evans was immense and my Man of the match. Was everywhere on the pitch. Back 4 very good. Lenihan and Tosin partnership just gets better each game. 

Thought our final pass was poor and our tempo too slow

Thought Dack tried too much at times instead playing the easy pass on. 

Mowbray got his Gallagher sub wrong. If you want to play Armstrong up front then play Holtby or Bennett there. Not Gallagher. 

I don't see why Bennett went to left back or Buckley one

Same team please for Swansea game please

• Like 3

FIrstly a blood sweat tears performance and I’m proud over the last few weeks. BUT we are only making up for easy points dropped where we’ve underperformed and we’ve still a long way to go this season but the last few games have tipified fans belief that the lads are better than they were showing. Tosin is pure class 40k per week at city already. He will play PL next year. We need more performances and results of the same, one game at a time. THIS FEW WEEKS HAVE SHOWN this is the minimum standard of what we expect. It’s over to the players to keep up.

This is our Rovers! Derby like stoke last week are another traditional side I’ve allot of time for and despite the big money spending of recent seasons they look limp. They look unsure of what each role is on the pitch and I’ve seen a few Cocu games with them and they need to roll the dice in my opinion. 

Duane Holmes I was hoping to see given we tried for him but didn’t live up to much to be honest.

Just seen the derby fans thread quite telling https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33884-v-blackburn-a-matchday-thread/page/26/#comments

Edited by Scotland1

Credit to Mowbray today. We were more than good value for the three points, though we should probably have been out of sight at half time. I thought every player did well, and the last 4 games have meant those 11 shirts are theirs to lose.

Few specials mentions...

It shouldn’t be underestimated how good a signing Downing has proven to be. Probably our most consistent performer of the season and possesses genuine quality.

Nyambe is getting better and better. His confidence is clearly growing by the game. 

I’ve been critical of Lenihan in the past, but he looks a different beast with Adarabioyo beside him. Seeing him plough through a pile of bodies to smash a header was brilliant. As for Adarabioyo, he’s going to have some career!

Evans is in the form of his life. Absolutely fantastic today. He was everywhere.

Armstrong still frustrates, but what a strike. Should’ve had another one at least. But if he keeps up that level of performance I’ll gladly eat my words. If he improves the consistency of his final product we’ve got a player on our hands.

Looks as though I’m the only one, but I thought Mowbray got his subs spot on, although I didn’t at the time... I rolled my eyes when I saw Gallagher trotting over time the wing, but he put a real shift in and Armstrong for those few minutes dragged their defenders all over the place. Yes, we lost a focal point in Graham, but I think it worked considering we were inevitably going to be under the cosh with them desperately chasing it at the end. Bennett sured things up, basically becoming an additional defender. Buckley was just a time killer and fresh legs, he needs to hit the gym hard though.

• Like 9

Just now, Miller11 said:

Credit to Mowbray today. We were more than good value for the three points, though we should probably have been out of sight at half time. I thought every player did well, and the last 4 games have meant those 11 shirts are theirs to lose.

Few specials mentions...

It shouldn’t be underestimated how good a signing Downing has proven to be. Probably our most consistent performer of the season and possesses genuine quality.

Nyambe is getting better and better. His confidence is clearly growing by the game. 

I’ve been critical of Lenihan in the past, but he looks a different beast with Adarabioyo beside him. Seeing him plough through a pile of bodies to smash a header was brilliant. As for Adarabioyo, he’s going to have some career!

Evans is in the form of his life. Absolutely fantastic today. He was everywhere.

Armstrong still frustrates, but what a strike. Should’ve had another one at least. But if he keeps up that level of performance I’ll gladly eat my words. If he improves the consistency of his final product we’ve got a player on our hands.

Looks as though I’m the only one, but I thought Mowbray got his subs spot on, although I didn’t at the time... I rolled my eyes when I saw Gallagher trotting over time the wing, but he put a real shift in and Armstrong for those few minutes dragged their defenders all over the place. Yes, we lost a focal point in Graham, but I think it worked considering we were inevitably going to be under the cosh with them desperately chasing it at the end. Bennett sured things up, basically becoming an additional defender. Buckley was just a time killer and fresh legs, he needs to hit the gym hard though.

It’s not necessarily who he brought on but where he put them. It made for a very nervy finale.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Amo said:

With the exception of recalling Evans, every decision he's made has been called for by the fans.  

No one said it's the "XI that the fans wanted" btw. Strawman.

Just had a read through the reaction to, what I consider to be the watershed moment, the team news in the Brentford thread. Hardly any dissent on there and pretty much universally positive which, you have to admit, is pretty unusual on here.

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Did you type that with a straight face? He made changes based on fan pressure and at odds with all his previous team selections, then picked an unchanged side for the first time this season!! Hardly 'sticking to his guns', if he had I'd wager the results would be very different.

Do you seriously think that Mowbray - or any other manager - pays any attention to what know - nowts on a messageboard are saying ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'd say Holtby might start the next game instead of Rothwell 

And quite rightly too. It's a difficult away game. Today Rothwell started at the centre circle and tried to dribble his way through the whole Derby team and lost the ball. Then, a minute or so later, he received the ball near their D and passed it sideways. His decision-making is poor.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Do you seriously think that Mowbray - or any other manager - pays any attention to what know - nowts on a messageboard are saying ?

I honestly believe he reacted to pressure on his performance after the no show against Barnsley, the tide was turning.

Now, do you seriously think that Mowbray 'stuck to his guns' when he dropped Bennett and Gallagher and then picked an unchanged team for the next 2 games?

• Like 3

Just now, LDRover said:

I honestly believe he reacted to pressure on his performance after the no show against Barnsley, the tide was turning.

Now, do you seriously think that Mowbray 'stuck to his guns' when he dropped Bennett and Gallagher and then picked an unchanged team for the next 2 games?

Yes - and he kept faith with the likes of Evans and Armstrong because he is his own man. 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't buy this at all. No one wanted Evans back in the side, no one was saying Downing at left back. Yes some people wanted Rothwell, Nyambe and Graham to play. But it's hardly the XI that "the fans wanted".

For another thing a lot of people have been wanting Arma dropped. He scored again today.

To be fair, I mentioned giving Downing a go at left back on more than one occasion on here.

Besides, it was not so much 'the side' that people wanted. it was square pegs in square holes. Consistency, and less of the tombola. LB, yes we have no option as Downing cannot be worse than what we already have there and in fact, is already showing that at 35, he is already the best that we have there - what does that say?

The strikers on the wing, Bennett playing every position imaginable, Dack playing up front - this was the stuff people were moaning about. This has stopped, we have won 4 on the bounce. 

As for Arma, he has been pretty average, storming game today though. He also had a storming month last season - just the month though. Evans, we all know he can play when he wants - he must want it right now for whatever reason.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

A good win and deserved three points with a clean sheet to boot but in typical Rovers fashion we made hard work of it. Far too many chances were squandered in the quest for a second goal and in fairness the Derby manager sensed the possibility of a goal and went all out attack with his changes. We defended well enough but had to rely on a great save by the much maligned Walton late on to clinch the points. I thought Downing was excellent today with Tosin, Nyambe and Lenihan not far behind. Evans continued his fine run of form.

As good as Mowbrays changes were recently the first two he made today were unfathomable given how we have played recently. Why not just go like for like, it was simple enough to do but sometimes, particularly with Gallagher it's like Mowbray is trying to prove himself right but to the detriment of the team. However that should not overshadow another win.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Of course he doesn’t. I’d be shocked if he knows it exists and even more shocked if he can be bothered reading it. But the fact remains this change of fortune has come about through him deciding to do pretty much what people have been saying here, at work, in the pub since September. 

He's presumably come to these decisions on his own or by way of pandering to his paying public. Armstrong scored today but isn’t good enough. Walton kept a clean sheet but isn’t good enough. Football isn’t rocket science you don’t need to be an ex professional to know what’s bloody obvious. Tony seems to be on the same page now and long may it continue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Woeful Derby whose manager must be living on borrowed time

Suggest you read Derby owner CEO Mel Morris comments where he backing Cocu and allowing him time. 

My opinion is Cocu waa a strange appointment at the time. I didnt understand their formation and theirstyle

• Like 1