BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby County (H) - We couldn't make it four... could we?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Suggest you read Derby owner CEO Mel Morris comments where he backing Cocu and allowing him time. 

My opinion is Cocu waa a strange appointment at the time. I didnt understand their formation and theirstyle

Its easy to say but if they keep losing he will have a decision to make. I hope they keep him, the more teams around us struggling the better. They were awful today.

Has someone thrown a switch at Rovers? I couldn’t see the plan or way forward several games ago (not to mention for several seasons past). And now, praise where it’s due, we look a credible team. Really enjoyed today’s game-a real cat and mouse game from both sides attempting to pass it, not a blood and thunder game (which can in their own ways be good.)

Manager asked why we are now suddenly winning, what’s different. He answered that it was just a matter of fine margins. Well…

-a passing game – one touch stuff

-patience (ignore the numpties around me who moan that it should be launched forward asap)

-sensible shape with players in the right positions

-players that look like they enjoy this shape and way of playing and understand it

-dropped the long ball to Gallagher/Graham –tedious to watch and ineffective generally (although I’m not against long ball at the right time as variation)

-finally, thank the lord, trying to play the ball into hole and play from there. A word on this. It’s great to knock it into say Dack in there but we need to think more of the next 2 touches. Sometimes, Dack with his back to goal is fending off people and trying to take on a couple of players. If he gets caught here (especially when tiring), a swift turnover can catch us out.

-some nice triangles played around Nyambe on the touchline

-a word on Rothwell. Still believe, he can be great for us. But another who someone has to get  inside his head and make him believe. Make him play a great game every game not once in a while. Talk about positional play. Talk about believing that he can score goals.  One of our few players who can drop a shoulder and ghost past people with pace.

Sometimes it’s just the little things. For example. In the main, we have (thankfully) dropped the ineffective throw down the line which is just a play safe lottery. We now retain possession from throw-ins really well. Example from today. Late second half in Derby half on our left (in front of JW stand).  Throw in. Bennett (I think) takes. Downing to receive but he has a defender in front of him making it difficult. He discretely signals with his left hand which side he wants the ball to go. Thrower obliges. And Downing is able to nicely play a long pass onto the far side of the pitch to maintain possession and start an attack. Simple but effective and missing from Rovers’ play for years.

Nyambe –hold my hands up. Always had potential but thought he was a rabbit in the headlights as a defender. Still prone to keystone cop moments and uncertain positionally, but wonderful today at times. One moment, deep in second half, when he stood still on the ball and then dropped a shoulder and surged past their player down the line as if he wasn’t there. Loved it. Bags of energy, runs all day. Got to get inside his head and make him believe in himself.

Tosin and Lenihan

Can be a very good partnership in this league. Tosin has got it all. We’ve been crying out for nearly a decade for passes into the ‘pocket’, ‘hole’ whatever –he calmly sees situations and delivers passes forward into great positions. Just a matter of watching the body language and doing the nitty gritty at times.

Evans was immense. He is never going to be the most silky or pacey. But he really did a job today, worked like a Trojan, made forward runs as well as the usual defensive biting covering and tackling. He and Travis (also limited in many ways) were effective at snuffing things out. Well done lads.

Armstrong. Always had ability but in recent times we all know some issues. Work rate? How much does he want it? Head down running into blind alleys? Making the right decision? Well today, he got it all right. Great performance, first on the wing and then when they were tiring, up front he kept going. Let’s hope he can do it every game and has the will to do it. Well done.

Downing. Age, legs going but class is permanent. Footballing brain and suspect it is rubbing off on players around him. Calm in possession, does simple thing, keeps ball well. Will never surge past a full back but still capable of creating half a yard and whipping in a great cross (something lacking from Rovers for ages). At full back, you worry about pace but know-how has been enough so far and gives his all. Knocked some great balls forward to Armstrong towards the end.

A few things that annoyed me (picky I know after such a good win). Basically all of them at the end when we are trying to wind the clock down. Generally, giving the ball away too cheaply. Buckley coming on and giving the ball away twice when you just need sensible game management. Ditto Walton (good save btw) at the death with a free kick who just kicked it long and it went straight though to their keeper to launch another attack. Keeper has to get it to Gallagher on the touch line so that you at least have a 50/50 of getting a throw and thus hold play up longer. And on another note, Dack not passing to Armstrong who was in a great position to score. These things can cost you.

So, praise is due –for now. Keep it up.

Edited by aletheia
  • Like 8

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Its easy to say but if they keep losing he will have a decision to make. I hope they keep him, the more teams around us struggling the better. They were awful today.

Last time I heard Sky Sports speak to Derby's owner Mel Morris he was backing him and more than happy with mid table finish. 

I agree they were awful today. Formation wise was strange considering their squad

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Last time I heard Sky Sports speak to Derby's owner Mel Morris he was backing him and more than happy with mid table finish. 

I agree they were awful today. Formation wise was strange considering their squad

Rooney will be the manager there by the end of the season, no danger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

It's great to focus on Rovers in such a positive way that I completely forgot about Derby. They look lost, and were probably one of the poorer teams I've seen us play, even if they did pose a danger towards the end (which I thought was of our own tactical making, really). They're not relegation fodder, but assuming that they were looking for promotion this season, it's probably safe to say that they aren't getting with Cocu at this rate. I suspect he might get the can before the transfer window opens.

I'm guessing that Derby will have been compensated for Lampard, but I'd be amazed if they didn't find themselves on the wrong side of FFP in the next couple of years (assuming they don't go up). It feels like they've spent a lot without the reward that they needed.

Rooney will clearly be the manager at some stage in the next 6 months

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Rooney will clearly be the manager at some stage in the next 6 months

LOL. If they think Cocu's bad what will they think if that thick thug takes over. Yeah they hired another high profile (ex) English player in Lampard. There's a difference. Lampard's intelligent.

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

One thing (apart from the other things) that's still a major concern is our finishing. This is another game we should have put to bed long before one injury time hoofball gave Derby an excellent chance to equalise with what was their only shot on target in the whole game. ? Phew!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Has someone thrown a switch at Rovers? I couldn’t see the plan or way forward several games ago (not to mention for several seasons past). And now, praise where it’s due, we look a credible team. Really enjoyed today’s game-a real cat and mouse game from both sides attempting to pass it, not a blood and thunder game (which can in their own ways be good.)

Manager asked why we are now suddenly winning, what’s different. He answered that it was just a matter of fine margins. Well…

-patience (ignore the numpties around me who moan that it should be launched forward asap)

-players that look like they enjoy this shape and way of playing and understand it

-dropped the long ball to Gallagher/Graham –tedious to watch and ineffective generally (although I’m not against long ball at the right time as variation)

-finally, thank the lord, trying to play the ball into hole and play from there. A word on this. It’s great to knock it into say Dack in there but we need to think more of the next 2 touches. Sometimes, Dack with his back to goal is fending off people and trying to take on a couple of players. If he gets caught here (especially when tiring), a swift turnover can catch us out.

-a word on Rothwell. Still believe, he can be great for us. But another who someone has to get  inside his head and make him believe. Make him play a great game every game not once in a while. Talk about positional play. Talk about believing that he can score goals.  One of our few players who can drop a shoulder and ghost past people with pace.

Sometimes it’s just the little things. For example. In the main, we have (thankfully) dropped the ineffective throw down the line which is just a play safe lottery. We now retain possession from throw-ins really well. Example from today. Late second half in Derby half on our left (in front of JW stand).  Throw in. Bennett (I think) takes. Downing to receive but he has a defender in front of him making it difficult. He discretely signals with his left hand which side he wants the ball to go. Thrower obliges. And Downing is able to nicely play a long pass onto the far side of the pitch to maintain possession and start an attack. Simple but effective and missing from Rovers’ play for years.

Nyambe –hold my hands up. Always had potential but thought he was a rabbit in the headlights as a defender. Still prone to keystone cop moments and uncertain positionally, but wonderful today at times. One moment, deep in second half, when he stood still on the ball and then dropped a shoulder and surged past their player down the line as if he wasn’t there. Loved it. Bags of energy, runs all day. Got to get inside his head and make him believe in himself.

Tosin and Lenihan

Can be a very good partnership in this league. Tosin has got it all. We’ve been crying out for nearly a decade for passes into the ‘pocket’, ‘hole’ whatever –he calmly sees situations and delivers passes forward into great positions. Just a matter of watching the body language and doing the nitty gritty at times.

Evans was immense. He is never going to be the most silky or pacey. But he really did a job today, worked like a Trojan, made forward runs as well as the usual defensive biting covering and tackling. He and Travis (also limited in many ways) were effective at snuffing things out. Well done lads.

Armstrong. Always had ability but in recent times we all know some issues. Work rate? How much does he want it? Head down running into blind alleys? Making the right decision? Well today, he got it all right. Great performance, first on the wing and then when they were tiring, up front he kept going. Let’s hope he can do it every game and has the will to do it. Well done.

Downing. Age, legs going but class is permanent. Footballing brain and suspect it is rubbing off on players around him. Calm in possession, does simple thing, keeps ball well. Will never surge past a full back but still capable of creating half a yard and whipping in a great cross (something lacking from Rovers for ages). At full back, you worry about pace but know-how has been enough so far and gives his all. Knocked some great balls forward to Armstrong towards the end.

A few things that annoyed me (picky I know after such a good win). Basically all of them at the end when we are trying to wind the clock down. Generally, giving the ball away too cheaply. Buckley coming on and giving the ball away twice when you just need sensible game management. Ditto Walton (good save btw) at the death with a free kick who just kicked it long and it went straight though to their keeper to launch another attack. Keeper has to get it to Gallagher on the touch line so that you at least have a 50/50 of getting a throw and thus hold play up longer. And on another note, Dack not passing to Armstrong who was in a great position to score. These things can cost you.

Good post

• Like 2

Too happy on here.

Derby forums is a better read lol

"Only 1-0 feels like a win."

"Crap tactics, crap team line up, crap players. We are crap"

"The longer this stays 1-0 the more chance we have of only losing 1-0."

Seriously, they expected to still be challengers despite losing three players that now represent the full England team. Let's be honest, they were awful. I also think this Rooney experiment is not going to help. Only did average in the US while an older Ibrahimovic dominated the league - Rooney wasnt even the best player at DC United. 

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't buy this at all. No one wanted Evans back in the side, no one was saying Downing at left back. Yes some people wanted Rothwell, Nyambe and Graham to play. But it's hardly the XI that "the fans wanted".

For another thing a lot of people have been wanting Arma dropped. He scored again today.

Very VERY true. People very quick to get at TM, but a lot of people on this forum want Armstrong dropped, nobody was clamouring for Corry Evans to return, and barely anybody had been saying lets play Downing at left back. 

The only one I think the fans can feel justified in having played a part in is Nyambe, I think a good amount of positive pressure has been put on there and it's made a world of difference.

• Backroom

Rothwell, Nyambe and Graham starting were all being asked for, as well as not playing Gallagher on the wing, not starting Armstrong up top by himself and not playing Bell under any circumstances. For what it's worth I don't think the fans opinions had much if any sway on Mowbray's decision making, it's just common sense that took him a lot longer to realise than the rest of us for whatever reason. Arma seems to go through purple patches of form where he scores goals so if we're in one of those periods now then great. Evans coming in and playing like he has is obviously something that has to be credited to Mowbray, as he could easily have tried to shoehorn Bennett in there instead. I'm kind of shocked he didn't. Johnson's sudden fall down the pecking order suggests he isn't an option, whilst Smallwood seems to have been bundled into the trunk of Oldham's bus. Has he been seen since that game?

Unfortunately for TM we now have £12m worth of striking talent warming the bench, which is unfortunate to say the least. I think Gallagher will be useful for us in future, albeit overpriced, but I honestly don't know what can be done about Brereton at this point other than loaning him out and praying he improves dramatically.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Unfortunately for TM we now have £12m worth of striking talent warming the bench, which is unfortunate to say the least. I think Gallagher will be useful for us in future, albeit overpriced, but I honestly don't know what can be done about Brereton at this point other than loaning him out and praying he improves dramatically.

Honestly, for me, Ben Brereton and Sam Gallagher are no worse/no better than each other. One player has about 10 league games (up front) for the club under his belt, the other has just one (and some sub appearances). Genuinely can't see how we've seen anywhere near enough BB up top for us in the league to be able to judge in the same way as SG.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Honestly, for me, Ben Brereton and Sam Gallagher are no worse/no better than each other. One player has about 10 league games (up front) for the club under his belt, the other has just one (and some sub appearances). Genuinely can't see how we've seen anywhere near enough BB up top for us in the league to be able to judge in the same way as SG.

Whilst theres an element of truth in what you say, Gallagher is usually ineffective whereas Brereton usually stuck out like a sore thumb when he was on the pitch in terms of being miles away, in the same way that Buckley is when he comes on.

6 hours ago, aletheia said:

Tosin and Lenihan

Post of the day for me - exactly how I saw the game. .?

• Like 5

A good win, fully deserved. My only criticism would be that it wasn't more comfortable and that we allowed them to hang in there when really we should have been home and dry. We don't quite ever seem to be able to just get that 2nd goal and make it straightforward.

Good to see some consistency both in selection and in performance. That must be maintained. For all Mowbray thinking he is clever with regular chopping and changing it is obvious that consistency wins.

Long may the wins continue. The victories in recent weeks have repaired the damage of the period prior to that, the next batch of fixtures other than Bristol away are all against average/ struggling sides so a good opportunity.

39 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Tosin Adarabioyo. Bloody hell, I haven’t been this excited about a defender since Phil Jones (Aged 17) schooled a peak Drogba at Ewood.

Tosin could be a very special player. Wow

I'm exactly the same he is literally outstanding, best defender at Ewood in many, many years.

At one point yesterday someone played it back to Walton and he was signalling telling him to keep it on the floor, he didn't and hoofed it and he looked distraught Haha.

This boy will 100% be playing premiership football next season if City have a rep tracking his performances for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Tosin Adarabioyo. Bloody hell, I haven’t been this excited about a defender since Phil Jones (Aged 17) schooled a peak Drogba at Ewood.

Tosin could be a very special player. Wow

I can’t recall ever seeing any player bully Drogba on a football pitch. Let alone a teenager. It was a phenomenal performance I thought he’d be an England regular and future England captain for sure. In a way it’s sad how he seems to have gone backwards as a player since going to manure.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DE. said:

Unless we somehow go up, I see them pair being our strike force next season.

No way are Dack snd Graham going to be here.

Edited by MarkBRFC