BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby County (H) - We couldn't make it four... could we?

I agree with the general consensus. Tosin and Downing were my favourites today but their tight, ultra-casual interplay under pressure, deep in our own half, is sometimes nerve-wracking. 
But what about the Downing series of wonderful pressure relieving, long clearances/passes over the head of their full back.......with just enough weight to allow Armstrong or Gallagher to put in a serious challenge. Classy stuff, especially in the second half.

Buckley’s 6 minutes put the willies up me for sure.....strange sub that.

We’re still not generating many chances though. Rothwell is unconvincing for me. Neither he nor Armstrong deliver a consistent end product but Armstrong has improved I think. Gallagher and Brereton seem unlikely to be the answer. So Dack and Danny it is then and we keep searching for the best supply lines.

Some problems have been addressed effectively this season, so I remain optimistic. Play-offs here we come!

Edited by tonyoz

What I liked was the constant harrying of the Derby players by our midfield, to regain possession. Reminiscent of our promotion form coming back from League 1. Not only does it please the crowd, but it also gives the impression of a team that is working hard for each other, which is further dispiriting for the opposition.

Long may it continue. No doubt there will be further reverses to endure, and Tinkerman may lose the plot even further than replacing the energetic (if somewhat knackered) front man with a striker on the wing, but if we've found a formula that works, lets just go with it and let other teams worry about us.VhQs6Pu.gif?noredirect

• Like 4

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

I can’t recall ever seeing any player bully Drogba on a football pitch. Let alone a teenager. It was a phenomenal performance I thought he’d be an England regular and future England captain for sure. In a way it’s sad how he seems to have gone backwards as a player since going to manure.

A lot of people forget that Drogba actually scored after about 5 minutes that day, which would have made him even more menacing and put doubts in young Jones’s mind. Amazing performance.

• Backroom

I think the Phil Jones debut was superb management, just thrown in there, no time for nerves just go out and do your thing.

Makes it more annoying when at times clubs mollycoddle players like they are little lambs, it’s football not neurosurgery.

City must be keeping tabs on Tosin, he’d be their best defender at present, he’s a joy to watch, moves around effortlessly.

Sadly he’ll be way out of our price range so I’m going to enjoy watching him whilst here 

• Like 2

Great to be moving in the right direction in the league, shame that it took 3 months of Mowbray tinkering to get to this point.

If we have a solid Christmas, let's see what happens in January. Have lessons been learnt since the shambles of Jan/Summer windows last year?

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

Great to be moving in the right direction in the league, shame that it took 3 months of Mowbray tinkering to get to this point.

If we have a solid Christmas, let's see what happens in January. Have lessons been learnt since the shambles of Jan/Summer windows last year?

But he got us here nonetheless 

We were all critical,some more than others,now it's time to man up and give credit where it is due. Trying to maintain that he somehow listened to people on here or that hes still a problem,only makes those doing it seem petty and saying anything to save face. 

I put my hands up,I wanted him out earlier in the season and I have been proven wrong. 

Still a ways to go,but the signs are positive. 

All the praise of Tosin, dont forget Mowbray signed him. So defenders were indeed coming. Cunningham was a great signing too,just unlucky with the injury. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

The only one I think the fans can feel justified in having played a part in is Nyambe, 

Rothwell? Graham? Travis? Bell and Benno dropped?

No Chapman of course. Will he ever kick a ball for us again in the first team? Why did he buy him

Edited by 47er

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

His passing and general class on the ball has never been in doubt, but his actual defending was top drawer too yesterday. He got his head or one of those long legs to everything.

Reminded me of Rio Ferdinand.

Ferdinand is the player he reminds me of too as a CB - but this lad has the potential to be better in my opinion. You can also see why WBA fans liked him in CDM and in that position you would imagine he would be like a Yaya Toure.

This lad was playing U18's for City at 14 and was the captain of the side at 16. Will be playing for England soon as I could see him easily slotting in at Man City.

Edited by JacknOry

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We were all critical,some more than others,now it's time to man up and give credit where it is due. Trying to maintain that he somehow listened to people on here or that hes still a problem,only makes those doing it seem petty and saying anything to save face. 

I out my hands up,I wanted him out earlier in the season and I have been proven wrong. 

Still a ways to go,but the sogns are positive. 

All the praise of Tosin, dont forget Mowbray signed him. So defenders were indeed coming. Cunningham was a great signing g too,just unlucky with the injury. 

I genuinely do think he listened to fans and other people round him when he was on the brink a few weeks ago. (Not saying he reads this board).

I'm not giving him unreserved credit yet when the only reason he played Graham, Nyambe, Rothwell and dropped Bennett, Gallagher etc was because his job was at risk- due to his own poor team selections.

I'd still take a replacement, because on balance (transfers/ team selections/tactics) I think we can do better.

• Like 7

Rovers on the up and we're all enjoying our weekend's again but doesn't it just highlight how much this side was underperforming?..players out of position,changing the side week to week.FFS matters were becoming unbearable.

The fans were right to show their disapproval.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 47er said:

No Chapman of course. Will he ever kick a ball for us again in the first team? Why did he buy him

Travis? Taking mick with that. 

Nobody was calling for Downing LB, Evans in midfield and quite a few called for Williams return too. 

Truth is that TM hasn’t made his new choices based off of any fans opinion.

Edited by JoeH

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I put my hands up,I wanted him out earlier in the season and I have been proven wrong. 

All the praise of Tosin, dont forget Mowbray signed him. So defenders were indeed coming. Cunningham was a great signing too,just unlucky with the injury. 

I remain unconvinced he's not another Bowyer. Pulls results out of the bag when the pressure is on, gives fans false hope of a playoff push, then crumbles.

• Like 1

I genuinely do think he listened to fans and other people round him when he was on the brink a few weeks ago. (Not saying he reads this board).

I'm not giving him unreserved credit yet when the only reason he played Graham, Nyambe, Rothwell and dropped Bennett, Gallagher etc was because his job was at risk- due to his own poor team selections.

I'd still take a replacement, because on balance (transfers/ team selections/tactics) I think we can do better.

No doubt in my mind they have people at the club who keep him informed as to the general feeling. Far to many things he says and highlights as do the LT follow what's being moaned about on forums, social media etc.

Not a bad idea i suppose a lot of clubs do it these days it's all part and parcel of the modern game. Whether it influences anything or not who knows but the turnaround and back to basics approach has been a remarkable coincidence compared to everything the fans have been asking for for months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'd need to see us playing well consistently for longer than a handful of games before I'll be holding my hand up. We've had a good fortnight, lets not get carried away. If we can get good results at Swansea and Bristol I'll think again. Even then it still doesn't account for him betting the ranch on two bench warming strikers. If either one of those had have hit the ground running things would be looking a lot brighter.

• Like 2

Whatever the reason,he made the changes and HIS players are performing. Plus he has others performing consistently well for the first time in for ever. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Wait,are you claiming that the fans deserve credit for Rothwell,Graham, Travis and Bell and Benno being dropped? Lol, that's a stretch! 

I would add that Rothwell and Travis are currently looking like the weak links, so will fans now be calling for them to be dropped?its funny how some players are absolved of blame so easily. Saw a post yesterday saying that Evan's covered for Travis so much during the game,but what about it. Imagine it was the other way round?

I saw a few say mowbray must be on here etc, which is funny ,but I think it's silly to be claiming fans played any real part in Mowbrays selections. Plenty wanted Armstrong dropped, some were saying Graham is too old. It has taken time,but mowbray has gotten there all by himself. If he deserves the flack when we struggle, then some need to get off their high horses and give credit when we are flying it. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wait,are you claiming that the fans deserve credit for Rothwell,Graham, Travis and Bell and Benno being dropped? Lol, that's a stretch! 

I would add that Rothwell and Travis are currently looking like the weak links, so will fans now be calling for them to be dropped?its funny how some players are absolved of blame so easily. Saw a post yesterday saying that Evan's covered for Travis so much during the game,but what about it. Imagine it was the other way round?

I saw a few say mowbray must be on here etc, which is funny ,but I think it's silly to be claiming fans played any real part in Mowbrays selections. Plenty wanted Armstrong dropped, some were saying Graham is too old. It has taken time,but mowbray has gotten there all by himself. If he deserves the flack when we struggle, then some need to get off their high horses and give credit when we are flying it. 

Travis is a weak link? Where have you got that idea from? Our central midfield has been absolutely key in our 4 wins, and Evans has rightfully taken the plaudits and has been I would say the better performer but the pair have been very good as a duo.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd need to see us playing well consistently for longer than a handful of games before I'll be holding my hand up. We've had a good fortnight, lets not get carried away. If we can get good results at Swansea and Bristol I'll think again. Even then it still doesn't account for him betting the ranch on two bench warming strikers. If either one of those had have hit the ground running things would be looking a lot brighter.

You're probably right. I am really enjoying the moment, but I wish I was more confident that it will last.

Tosin is absolute class and his combination with Lenihan looks very good indeed.

I am all for patience, but I do think we look a wee bit laboured with all our passing sideways across the back and backwards from midfield. Also, we are not clicking in the final third.

Well done Tony and Rovers for the last four games. Much appreciated!.

A good January could make us into a decent playoff proposition. About 10 other clubs will be thinking the same thing...

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, JoeH said:

Travis? Taking mick with that. 

Nobody was calling for Downing LB, Evans in midfield and quite a few called for Williams return too. 

Truth is that TM hasn’t made his new choices based off of any fans opinion.

No but he made his choices when the crowd started to turn against Barnsley and he knew he couldn't afford to lose the Brentford game. 

Bennett was proving a liability at right back. Left back was a major issue. Gallagher was wasting a spot keep appearing out wide, Armstrong was lost up front and Rothwell wasn't getting a decent chance to make an impression.  Mowbray may not have caved in to fan pressure, but he did make the switches which fans had been calling for for some time. The issue was that the problems were obvious but Mowbray was too stubborn to change until the fans finally started to snap.

The one change I don't think people were calling for was the Evans / Travis centre, The stat which Rich Sharp,keeps tweeting about that partnership (P12 W9) tells its own story. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

No but he made his choices when the crowd started to turn against Barnsley and he knew he couldn't afford to lose the Brentford game. 

Bennett was proving a liability ar right back. Left back was a major issue. Gallagher was wasting a spot keep appearing out wide, Armstrong was lost up front and Rothwell wasn't getting a decent chance to make an impression.  Mowbray may not have caved in to fan pressure, but he did make the switches which fans had been calling for for some time. The issue was that the problems were obvious but Mowbray was too stubborn to change until the fans finally started to snap.

The one change I don't think people were calling for was the Evans / Travis centre, The stat which Rich Sharp,keeps tweeting about that partnership (P12 W9) tells its own story. 

Great post. 

Only thing I would add is that actually fans were demanding Travis had help from his defensive mid. Admittedly not from Evans but there were numerous suggestions that Travis wasn't the only defensive mid in the side. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hasta said:

Bennett was proving a liability at right back. Left back was a major issue. Gallagher was wasting a spot keep appearing out wideArmstrong was lost up front and Rothwell wasn't getting a decent chance to make an impression.  Mowbray may not have caved in to fan pressure, but he did make the switches which fans had been calling for for some time. The issue was that the problems were obvious but Mowbray was too stubborn to change until the fans finally started to snap.

I don't disagree with everything I've bolded. I'm just saying that all of these opinions are not something TM has taken on board. 

TM happened to make the changes fans asked for, and it worked, but he didn't make them BECAUSE fans asked for them. There's a huge difference.

Either way, I'm happy he did.

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don't disagree with everything I've bolded. I'm just saying that all of these opinions are not something TM has taken on board. 

TM happened to make the changes fans asked for, and it worked, but he didn't make them BECAUSE fans asked for them. There's a huge difference.

Either way, the fans were right and TM was wrong. 

33 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It depends on whether you think it was a coincidence that the fans turned against Barnsley or not. Mowbray was stubborn for over 3 months. Suddenly there is a bit of unrest from the stands, TM is commenting on it in the papers and then most of the changes are made the following game. Had the not happened, would he still have made the changes he did against Brentford? I'm not so sure. He may not have read fans comments on a forum but I'm fairly sure he was aware of their thoughts in general.

Either that or he was left feeling he had to win against Brentford or his job was on the line (either from the owners or from his own comments leaving him with little option). Therefore he went back to what he know worked from last year, play into Graham and try and play off him.

I only turned against TM in the last month, and that was because I didn't believe a manager could take us forward if he could not see and correct such obvious flaws in the team. The recent run has proved I, and others, were correct about those flaws. Long may this run continue, but lets hope if we get injuries or if someone does lose form that he doesn't revert to type as it doesn't work.