BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby County (H) - We couldn't make it four... could we?

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Said time and time again, confidence and momentum are hugely important in this league.  Consistency of selection also helps!

Barring injuries, Mowbray MUST start the same eleven.  It's as simple as that, no excuses.

Think Derby are a bang average team on a poor run of form.

Rovers to breeze this one by three or four goals to one.  Get your money on us and earn that Christmas bonus.

I was beginning to feel confident about this match...........now it all gone!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Derby aren’t average, but they are on a poor run of form.

Where does this 4-1 prediction come from though? I can’t remember the last time we won by a three goal margin....

He’s a self-parody at this point.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I wasn't saying he should be one of the top players in the world still. Just that he shouldn't be turning out in the Championship at 34 with his ability. You make a fair point about playing a lot of career games but I stand by that. Loads of players have managed up to and past his age and still played in the Prem, plenty of them with less footballing skill. He also has considerable star power which should sweeten any deal.

I can see where you are coming from.

Different era and all that but David Speedie joined Rovers aged 31. I think Rooney being at Derby says more about their ambition at this point. Rooney should probably be somewhere like Newcastle at this point but the PL is a very athletic division nowadays. Probably why it didn’t work out at Everton.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

I can see where you are coming from.

Different era and all that but David Speedie joined Rovers aged 31. I think Rooney being at Derby says more about their ambition at this point. Rooney should probably be somewhere like Newcastle at this point but the PL is a very athletic division nowadays. Probably why it didn’t work out at Everton.

If Big Sam struggled to get a consistent tune out of Rooney at Everton, after his successes of using old players then I wonder how committed Rooney is these days.

Up to ToMo this one.  I fully expect Rothwell to be benched after his last performance and Tony sporting a wry i told you so type of grin.  Then it depends on the rest of his selections.  We really should just go as we were and more if the same.  Was feeling reasonably confident but Merc has put the cabosh on that.

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Derby aren’t average, but they are on a poor run of form.

Where does this 4-1 prediction come from though? I can’t remember the last time we won by a three goal margin....

Where does his 4-1 prediction come from? The same place as every one of his other Rovers predictions, K Hod.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I wasn't saying he should be one of the top players in the world still. Just that he shouldn't be turning out in the Championship at 34 with his ability. You make a fair point about playing a lot of career games but I stand by that. Loads of players have managed up to and past his age and still played in the Prem, plenty of them with less footballing skill. He also has considerable star power which should sweeten any deal.

My point wasn’t about the age he is now but the age at which he started. Most players (Giggs and Ronaldo excepted) only have so many games in their legs. Milner - who also began his pro career at 16 - is currently finding that out and he (as I stated earlier) is held up as someone who has looked after himself.

How old was Cowans when he signed for Rovers?

Edited by oldjamfan1

2 hours ago, USABlue said:

Up to ToMo this one.  I fully expect Rothwell to be benched after his last performance and Tony sporting a wry i told you so type of grin.  Then it depends on the rest of his selections.  We really should just go as we were and more if the same.  Was feeling reasonably confident but Merc has put the cabosh on that.

Rothwell didn’t have a great game at Stoke but doesn’t deserve dropping on the basis of that if fit.

12 hours ago, USABlue said:

He shouldnt be dropped - he needs a run of games. Everybody else has been given them despite not playing at their best. Besides, looking at the interview with the Stoke manager before the game, they had already highlighted the danger of Rothwell having seen our game against Brentford. Quite clear that he was not given quite the free run that Brentford allowed him. We need as many danger men on the pitch as possible, they cannot mark them all out of the game.

Give him a run in the team like he was at the end of last season and you will get a lot more good than bad from him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

He shouldnt be dropped - he needs a run of games. Everybody else has been given them despite not playing at their best. Besides, looking at the interview with the Stoke manager before the game, they had already highlighted the danger of Rothwell having seen our game against Brentford. Quite clear that he was not given quite the free run that Brentford allowed him. We need as many danger men on the pitch as possible, they cannot mark them all out of the game.

Give him a run in the team like he was at the end of last season and you will get a lot more good than bad from him. 

Yes. It will speak volumes for Boring Tony if he is dropped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The club had the good sense to stick with the manager

Or TM finally did what many of us have been asking for and started playing players in their correct positions (bar Downing who many had said he should be tried at LB considering the other poor options we have their) and then put his tombola away and kept the same team.

• Like 3

Not got loads against Bennett at RM. Probably his best position, especially when defending as it effectively gives us two RB's at any one time, which could help deal with Tom Lawrence on the left quite well. But that's a separate issue to Rothwell, he shouldn't be dropped because of one game, I agree.

Just now, windymiller7 said:

Is that for us or does that include his assists for the opposition as well? ?

It's an interesting thing football fan psychology. You definitely get saints who can do little wrong and sinners who can do little right. On this board Rothwell is a saint, while Armstrong and Bennett are sinners. The usual process is young players are viewed as saints, older players viewed as sinners, and players will be judged harsher and harsher as their career progresses and they play more games.

While I do love watching Rothwell it seems odd that people consider him more effective than Armstrong who has consistently created chances and scored a few goals. I wonder if the roles were reversed, and Armstrong was newer to the club and mostly been on the bench while Rothwell played if Armstrong would be held in higher regard by this board?

• Like 3

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

It's an interesting thing football fan psychology. You definitely get saints who can do little wrong and sinners who can do little right. On this board Rothwell is a saint, while Armstrong and Bennett are sinners. The usual process is young players are viewed as saints, older players viewed as sinners, and players will be judged harsher and harsher as their career progresses and they play more games.

While I do love watching Rothwell it seems odd that people consider him more effective than Armstrong who has consistently created chances and scored a few goals. I wonder if the roles were reversed, and Armstrong was newer to the club and mostly been on the bench while Rothwell played if Armstrong would be held in higher regard by this board?

Folk like rothwell because he's a fancy pants type.. all tricks, but little end product in reality(at the moment). He's the new rochina.

We got him from Oxford on a free.. perspective.

Edited by Nelsonthedog
  • Like 1