BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby County (H) - We couldn't make it four... could we?

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

Three wins in three starts and has probably just saved an ungrateful manager’s job.

He didn't make much of a contribution at Stoke so don't think you can count that one!  Not sure why the manager should be grateful to Rothwell for anything.  Evans and Lenihan were the standout performers at Stoke but the recent games have shown that the manager and ALL the players are still very much on the same wavelength and working for and with each other.  The performance at Stoke showed what a good collective spirit we have at the club at the moment - long may it continue.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

He didn't make much of a contribution at Stoke so don't think you can count that one!  Not sure why the manager should be grateful to Rothwell for anything.  Evans and Lenihan were the standout performers at Stoke but the recent games have shown that the manager and ALL the players are still very much on the same wavelength and working for and with each other.  The performance at Stoke showed what a good collective spirit we have at the club at the moment - long may it continue.

Yes, t certainly does look like that collective spirit is alive and thriving. I had begun to worry about it after that Barnsley performance.

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

History suggests it won't continue for very long, but we live in hope nonetheless.

I think it has been complacency or over confidence. When we go on a run, it seems a lot of back slapping goes on, the lads look to be having great fun at training, laughing and joking. That's fine if you continue to win, but we are just as likely to go on a poor run as a good one. I hope now the players keep doing the basics right, take one game at a time and just keep working hard and plugging away. We seem to get carried away when within distance of the play-offs. I do sense it's different this time-famous last words though :D 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think it has been complacency or over confidence. When we go on a run, it seems a lot of back slapping goes on, the lads look to be having great fun at training, laughing and joking. That's fine if you continue to win, but we are just as likely to go on a poor run as a good one. I hope now the players keep doing the basics right, take one game at a time and just keep working hard and plugging away. We seem to get carried away when within distance of the play-offs. I do sense it's different this time-famous last words though :D 

I would love for it to be the case too, but I'm too cynical to believe until around May time!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, robbo_rovers said:

Cheers for the advice. Just had a look - Moorgate Arms looks fairly decent? Think we’ll get off at Mill Hill like you mentioned. 

Make sure you get the stopping train from Preston. There are two trains an hour - you want the one at 57 past the hour to Colne, which will stop at Mill Hill. The 46 past the hour is the express to Leeds and York and will just stop in Blackburn. If you have a long wait in Preston there are a couple of handy pubs just outside.

19 hours ago, robbo_rovers said:

Getting the train down for this one from the Lake District and bringing a few mates with me.

Don’t really know Blackburn town centre very well. Does anyone have any recommendations for pre and post match drinks? Preferably somewhere which will have the football on. 

Brown cow on Livesey Branch Road. Get off the 11:57 Colne train at Mill Hill

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Dacks a very weird combo. An attacking midfielder who is actually more of a goal poacher. Not sure I've ever seen anyone like him really in the recent gane. Doesn't score from outside the box, doesn't assist that often. Probably more like a "second striker" a la Sheringham or Beardsley than an attacking mid as others have said. 

I always feel like he is way more effective if he is playing right up alongside the striker, not in amongst the midfielders.

Uh the amount I said he got last season, 7, made him the joint 20th highest assister in the league. The most anyone got was 14, followed by 12. The likes of Norwood only got one more. Nobody at Rovers got more. Next highest was Reed on 5.

Again, I dispute that he doesn't assist often.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Uh the amount I said he got last season, 7, made him the joint 20th highest assister in the league. The most anyone got was 14, followed by 12. The likes of Norwood only got one more. Nobody at Rovers got more. Next highest was Reed on 5.

Again, I dispute that he doesn't assist often.

Do you count the goal against Stoke as an assist, as it certainly wasn't directly.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

A pivotal game for Mowbray, he has to prove he got the know how and pick the right team.  I've got a feeling we might see Benno back in somewhere but I hope not.

I suspect someone might be feeling under the weather or have a slight strain.

Don't think he'll admit to trying to pull off a tactical masterstroke by including him, unless we win ?

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

That's another stat in Rovers favour. We have conceded 10 goals in 10 games at home and Derby 18 in 9 away.

But overall this season, we have conceded 27 and they've shipped 25. You're right though, the home vs away stacks up better. However, the more stats stack up in our favour the more afraid I am!!

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I've got a feeling we might see Benno back in somewhere but I hope not.

No problem with that as long as it's in place of Armstrong out wide and basically the team, formation, pegs in holes remains the same.

The team should really pick itself after the last couple of games. Only an idiot would tinker.

3 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Agree 100%.

The biggest concern has to be our full-back positions, though. Nyambe and Downing both played superbly against Brentford, but the pair of them were really poor against Stoke - both getting done with ease down the flanks. If opposition teams try to exploit those two areas, then they're going to have success. Thankfully, Lenihan and Adarabioyo were good at keeping it solid in the middle.

That being said, I don't think we have any better alternatives in either position. Bennett (who I think is over-criticised on here) and Bell (who I think is under-criticised on here!) are not the answers. At this moment in time, i.e. before we can do anything about it in January, I think we have to persist with Nyambe and Downing. If Bennett comes in for Nyambe, I'd be less concerned about that than if Bell came in for Downing.

I'm wondering when Sam Hart is going to be back from injury. He did well in pre-season, has the haircut of a player who might make it, and maybe deserves his chance at left-back!

While I agree that we are not overly strong in the full back position - we have just won three on the trot. Both players deserve their place in the staring eleven. We do not really have much option anyway. Bennett is a RW/RM  and should stay that way and Bell is, as much as i want him to succeed, not good enough for this level. 

You make a good point about Hart, he had/has have a good haircut - so there is hope.

Edited by JacknOry