BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Vinjay said:

That shop has closed down which is probably overdue by about 50 years. If any big town wants to enter more regeneration and city challenge bids it's best to get rid of as many archaic outlets as possible.

And replace them with what?

Americanized fast food shops, overpriced coffee places, chavvy sports shops.

The best shopping areas cater for all ages as Greenwoods did and gave gainful employment to many.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2019 at 16:55, Riverside under the drip said:

Just saw a tweet promoting the '1875' range of clothing. Despite my better judgement I clicked...

A drab collection of uninspiring greys, greens and beiges. I didn't notice but I assume they all have 1875 written on them.

This brings me to a wider point. When was the last time Rovers branded clothing actually impressed you? I'll make an exception for the retro kits (although this could be extended to lots more good years). To me, virtually everything in the shop is the same kind of navy blue, grey, generic clothing with an indistinct badge on them. Nothing genuinely desirable. Nothing in blue and white halves bar the home shirt. Even the beanie hats are all blue. Where is the love for our own unique colour scheme? I lost my Rovers hat a fair few years ago which was simple blue and white halves with a crest. I've been looking for another ever since but nothing.

Fair comment or am I getting older with no knowledge of current fashion?

Well, if you are, my fellow-Riversider, you aren't the only one.

The last item of clothing I bought from the club shop two or three years ago was a cheap 'n' nasty grey t-shirt with a derivative design which I was ashamed to wear after its initial outing. It now functions, during winter months only, as a vest, although to be honest, if Mrs. m1st were still alive, she'd probably have cut it up for dusters long ago.

So my question to whoever has responsibility for purchasing items to go on sale is, "Do you not realise that the fans who buy club-related clothing are putting their money into the words of "Rovers till I die."? We're saying, 'This is MY club and I'm proud/Rovers-daft* enough to want to be identified with it.' "

I was silly enough at the end of a holiday in N. Ireland last year to forget to put my BRFC [Nike] rain jacket back in my suitcase. The next Home game Saturday, I went into the club shop to get the Umbro equivalent, only to be told that they don't stock anything like that any more.

Well, why ever not? Items like that say we want to be identified as Rovers' fans.' I've had enough occasions when on holiday & wearing some - decent-quality - Rovers' clothing, to have had 'exiles' recognise the badge and start conversations about This Great Club Of Ours.

Probably my best experience was when visiting a Dingle-supporting schoolmate from 60+ years ago in New Zealand in 2011. I was in a bar in Queenstown when the badge on my sweater was recognised by a number of New Zealanders who recognised the club badge which their country's Captain had worn. I didn't have to buy a pint for the rest of the evening!??

* Delete as appropriate.

• Like 2