BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Scott Wharton Conundrum

42 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Sharpe says there's a "year option" - why are we still fannying about with these?

Protects the club, in both senses. Sensible business to include them.

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Sharpe says there's a "year option" - why are we still fannying about with these?

In principle they are good things to include. Adding flexibility, protection and I believe it makes the clubs accounting easier to ensure we comply with FFP. 

We've just been burnt by them as the previous regime often didn't engage in negotiations with players until after the extra year was triggered, leaving us in vulnerable situations and players constantly leaving on frees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

In principle they are good things to include. Adding flexibility, protection and I believe it makes the clubs accounting easier to ensure we comply with FFP. 

We've just been burnt by them as the previous regime often didn't engage in negotiations with players until after the extra year was triggered, leaving us in vulnerable situations and players constantly leaving on frees.

Which makes the board especially waggott and co soooo bloody stupid

• Like 1

Well at the moment he's behind Hyam and Carter and with the emergance of Phillips and surely that Ayala will leave this leaves us in a great shape with centre halfs for next season. If we go up I can't see him getting in to a Premier League side...

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm hoping we will se a Travis like recovery of form at some point between now and the end of the season. We know he's a very good player, 

He is. I'm glad he has signed but I do feel his form this year has been questionable. He's begun making rash decisions, over committing to win the ball and getting caught out of position.

He's also one of the main culprits in us getting caught out when playing out from the back. To me he looks like he's really trying to embody JDTs philosophy, but as a result let's it affect his decision making. When a progressive pass isn't on he seems to try and find it anyway, loses it and we're under pressure. 

It's been a big change in playing styles though and these things can be ironed out. At his core he's a good defender.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

I hope Scott comes good for us, he did very well before but as part of a back 5. I don't have confidence in his ability on the ball and in picking out passes, which has become an important part of our game for each player on the pitch. It's a tough one for Scott, I feel he would come good in a more direct team but that is not us. 

21 minutes ago, Feed the Yak said:

I hope Scott comes good for us, he did very well before but as part of a back 5. I don't have confidence in his ability on the ball and in picking out passes, which has become an important part of our game for each player on the pitch. It's a tough one for Scott, I feel he would come good in a more direct team but that is not us. 

I know that he's given away loads of chances under JDT by giving the ball away, but I don't agree that he doesn't have ability on the ball. His passing out from the back was a really strong part of his game under Mowbray. Granted they were usually to start a counter attack instead of trying to keep the ball, but I think the ability is there. 

I think you're right about our style of play not suiting him though. Where Mowbray's back three was a centre back's dream (something which arguably made JPvH look slightly better than he was), JDT is the polar opposite in terms of how demanding he makes it for centre halves. I think Wharton's lack of pace is probably exposes him more than his passing does, but either way it's definitely really challenging for defenders.

As much as he deserved to get dropped last year, I think there was an element of that coming when the team was still adjusting to our new way of playing. Lots of examples of forcing passes when nobody was really looking to receive the ball. Hopefully he'll be different when he gets a run this season where everyone has adapted to how we trying to play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I know that he's given away loads of chances under JDT by giving the ball away, but I don't agree that he doesn't have ability on the ball. His passing out from the back was a really strong part of his game under Mowbray. Granted they were usually to start a counter attack instead of trying to keep the ball, but I think the ability is there. 

I think you're right about our style of play not suiting him though. Where Mowbray's back three was a centre back's dream (something which arguably made JPvH look slightly better than he was), JDT is the polar opposite in terms of how demanding he makes it for centre halves. I think Wharton's lack of pace is probably exposes him more than his passing does, but either way it's definitely really challenging for defenders.

As much as he deserved to get dropped last year, I think there was an element of that coming when the team was still adjusting to our new way of playing. Lots of examples of forcing passes when nobody was really looking to receive the ball. Hopefully he'll be different when he gets a run this season where everyone has adapted to how we trying to play. 

I agree more with your read on Wharton.

I see it as similar to Harry Maguire. In that they are both good passers when they're coming onto to the ball, facing forwards and fairly static. When Wharton has to take it off the keeper or someone else in a deep position, turn and open his body up that seems to get him into trouble and he isn't as confident doing it. I don't think he's (incoming trendy football phrase) press resistant.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I agree more with your read on Wharton.

I see it as similar to Harry Maguire. In that they are both good passers when they're coming onto to the ball, facing forwards and fairly static. When Wharton has to take it off the keeper or someone else in a deep position, turn and open his body up that seems to get him into trouble and he isn't as confident doing it. I don't think he's (incoming trendy football phrase) press resistant.

If the other defenders know that Scott doesn't really like to play the short passing game, wouldn't you think that the best option would be to not give him the ball.