BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

28 minutes ago, Nelsonthedog said:

Does anyone else miss this formation? 2 CF gives a better chance of scoring goals imo.

Why has it been abandoned in the modern game?

Every move in football in my time has been to make the game more defensive. I suppose to answer your question the team with 5 in midfield will usually overcome the team with 4. When I first started playing it was 2-3-5 which was really a sort of 3-2-2-3 system.

Then the Brazilians adapted that to a 4-2-4.  Alf Ramsey modified that to 4-3-3. As the years went by you got more and more defensive players and less atacking players.

There's a good book to read about this called " Inverting The Pyramid ". 

• Like 4

It was abandoned in Spain etc far before it was here, we were very late to the party. 

It's pretty much impossible to play 4-4-2 anymore because of how other teams set up, you'd just get overrun in midfield.

Ironically we do have a few players far more suited to a 4-4-2, namely Gallagher and Chapman.

most managers these days are terrified of losing,in the premier league and to a lesser extent in the championship if you go on a losing streak  you tend to get the sack,hence the lack of 4-4-2,and expansive play,iv`e always been of the opinion that if you`re getting overrun then the second striker drops back into midfield and helps out,the two wingers must track back to help as well,all about fluidity imo,it`s a simple game is`nt it??

• Like 5

4 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

most managers these days are terrified of losing,in the premier league and to a lesser extent in the championship if you go on a losing streak  you tend to get the sack,hence the lack of 4-4-2,and expansive play,iv`e always been of the opinion that if you`re getting overrun then the second striker drops back into midfield and helps out,the two wingers must track back to help as well,all about fluidity imo,it`s a simple game is`nt it??

Unfortunately it’s equally simple for both teams. The hard bit is doing it consistently better than everyone else. 4-4-2 had a good run but ultimately got out-thought.

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Unfortunately it’s equally simple for both teams. The hard bit is doing it consistently better than everyone else. 4-4-2 had a good run but ultimately got out-thought.

Which ever system you play there are areas of the pitch you will always need players in.If you overload one area you will be light in another.

I remember seeing a speculative question years ago. One team has the conventional line up of 10 outfield players and 1 goalkeeper, the other team has 2 goalkeepers but only 9 outfield players. Which team do you think would win most often ?

I'd like to see it tried out in the FA cup at Birmingham, with Brereton and Gallagher upfront as a pairing. I feel sure we'd score more and kill games off that way.

Seems to me we don't net enough 'scruffy' goals. All of the ones we score seem to have to be well crafted 'worldies'..

Edited by Nelsonthedog

Just now, Nelsonthedog said:

I'd like to see it tried out in the FA cup at Birmingham, with Brereton and Gallagher upfront as a pairing. I feel sure we'd score more and kill games off that way.

Where would you fit Dack in that system? I just think with a 4-4-2 you lose a lot of threat from our best player.

• Moderation Lead
32 minutes ago, Nelsonthedog said:

Dack would have to be benched for this 'trial'.. or played wide.

Then I don’t want it...

For me, if Bradley Dack is drawing breath, then he starts.

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Nelsonthedog said:

It's worth a look imo.

That may be, but Dack is our top scorer and has been since he signed. 
Who’s going to replace his goals, while he’s out wide?

19 hours ago, K-Hod said:

That may be, but Dack is our top scorer and has been since he signed. 
Who’s going to replace his goals, while he’s out wide?

Theres often an obsession with the formation 4-4-2, essentially we do have 2 strikers but because its not 4-4-2 for some reason 

Ultimately, you replace a proven goalscorer (who happens to be more of a "second striker") with someone to put right alongside Graham, they almost certainly would not replicate Dacks goalscoring record.

Just now, Nelsonthedog said:

It's an alternative if Dack loses form and becomes anonymous, as he can do imo.

He has scored 42 goals in 104 games for us, with 17 assists. 24 of those goals and 8 of those assists have come in 62 appearances.

Quite simply, the consistency of his goal contributions over his whole Rovers career has been there for all to see. Even if he has a few barren appearances, he is undroppable because you know soon enough, over the course of the whole season, he will score far more than any of our other attacking players.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Nelsonthedog said:

It's an alternative if Dack loses form and becomes anonymous, as he can do imo.

It’s funny, as even if he does lose form or becomes anonymous, he chips in with the majority of the team’s goals anyway.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1