BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Sports Betting Thread

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

Hope you are not down as much as I am handsomely up after the last four matches! 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very good to hear. 

Im up about 120 pounds in the last 5 weeks

I call bullshit on anyone who claims to beat the bookie, although I accept that you have both restricted that claim to the short term. You might both be on a purple patch but very few people come on and tell folk when/how much they have lost.

Gambling is a mug’s game, and especially where Rovers are concerned.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I call bullshit on anyone who claims to beat the bookie, although I accept that you have both restricted that claim to the short term. You might both be on a purple patch but very few people come on and tell folk when/how much they have lost.

Gambling is a mug’s game, and especially where Rovers are concerned.

Then you haven't heard of 'Sports Trading' !  That's where the money is made.

Said it many times, betting on Rovers is 'fun' betting for me - I view winnings as a 'bonus'.  There are only two seasons where I have lost money on Rovers' betting - overall, on Rovers' betting, I am very comfortably ahead of the game!

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Then you haven't heard of 'Sports Trading' !  That's where the money is made.

Said it many times, betting on Rovers is 'fun' betting for me - I view winnings as a 'bonus'.  There are only two seasons where I have lost money on Rovers' betting - overall, on Rovers' betting, I am very comfortably ahead of the game!

Keep it coming Mercer lad. I've made money too by betting against your tips.

I'll be watching the nag at Musselburgh. Almost certain bet to come up lame. 

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Keep it coming Mercer lad. I've made money too by betting against your tips.

I'll be watching the nag at Musselburgh. Almost certain bet to come up lame. 

Can't lose on this one Jim.

If Malystic wins, I win £75, if it doesn't win I lose £0!!!  Under normal circumstances, I'd make circa£15 profit (irrespective of horse winning or losing) but as it's a tip, decided to underlay and go for the win (and just cover loss if horse loses) - the beauty of Sports Trading.

Do a bit of research and make yourself even more money!

Edited by Mercer

22 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Any comment to make Jim?

Thought not. 

Gets a lot of stuck on here does Mercer, needlessly in my opinion. Block him if you don’t like what he posts, just because people have alternative views to one selves doesn’t mean they should have scorn and derision piled on them. 

That’s all fair enough mate but if he makes a profit on betting (or whatever it was he called it earlier) I will show my arse on the town hall steps. Like all gamblers you only hear about it when they win. That horse that came in today (and let’s be honest - each way at 5/1 or 7/2 as it was after he posted the tip - isn’t going to make you much) will have him reaching for his red wine, but let’s see him post a tip every morning and we’ll see how he gets on overall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That’s all fair enough mate but if he makes a profit on betting (or whatever it was he called it earlier) I will show my arse on the town hall steps. Like all gamblers you only hear about it when they win. That horse that came in today (and let’s be honest - each way at 5/1 or 7/2 as it was after he posted the tip - isn’t going to make you much) will have him reaching for his red wine, but let’s see him post a tip every morning and we’ll see how he gets on overall.

I suspect you have not even heard of Sports Trading let alone know anything about it.  It's about buying and selling bets, a bit like trading on the Stock Exchange where you buy and sell shares.  Generally, you aren't bothered about who or what wins or loses an event as you make your money on the price differentials (buying and selling a bet).  There are different nuances and because this was a 'tip' from within the industry, I played it a certain way meaning that if the horse won, I won decent money (£75) and if it didn't win, I would have lost nothing - can't be bad! 

As for not making much, anyone who placed a £10 bet each way on the horse at even the Starting Price of 7/2 (which had fallen substantially from the odds available yesterday!!!) would have won £43.75 and got their £20 stake back.  Not to be sneezed at.

I will not be posting "a tip every morning".  This was a little bit different in that 'the tip' came from within the industry and if you get one of those, there's a high probability of success.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I suspect you have not even heard of Sports Trading let alone know anything about it.  It's about buying and selling bets, a bit like trading on the Stock Exchange where you buy and sell shares.  Generally, you aren't bothered about who or what wins or loses an event as you make your money on the price differentials (buying and selling a bet).  There are different nuances and because this was a 'tip' from within the industry, I played it a certain way meaning that if the horse won, I won decent money (£75) and if it didn't win, I would have lost nothing - can't be bad! 

As for not making much, anyone who placed a £10 bet each way on the horse at even the Starting Price of 7/2 (which had fallen substantially from the odds available yesterday!!!) would have won £43.75 and got their £20 stake back.  Not to be sneezed at.

I will not be posting "a tip every morning".  This was a little bit different in that 'the tip' came from within the industry and if you get one of those, there's a high probability of success.

So I stand by my assertion that betting is a mug’s game mate. I’ve met hundreds of folk who brag about their wins but never mention their losses. And bookies drive round in big cars don’t they? 
if it was as easy as you proclaim ‘the industry’ would put a stop to it.

So of course you won’t be sharing in advance your bets/trading/whatever you want to call it ha ha

To be fair, a hell of a lot of people make good money on the betting exchanges like Betfair.

As you can ‘hedge’ your bets by backing and laying the same selection (I.e offering and taking odds against other punters, not a bookie) it behaves much more like a stock/currency market than a traditional straight bet to the bookies.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

To be fair, a hell of a lot of people say they make good money on the betting exchanges like Betfair.

As you can ‘hedge’ your bets by backing and laying the same selection (I.e offering and taking odds against other punters, not a bookie) it behaves much more like a stock/currency market than a traditional straight bet to the bookies.

Amended for you mate. If anyone can come on here and prove that they have made money over a reasonable period of time ON BETTING then I’ll be the first to put my hand up and admit I was wrong. Stock market type dealing, well I wouldn’t know about that, but I still suspect that it isn’t a licence to print money lol. Mercer has only just mentioned that today - all his other tips and predictions (including the horse he - to be fair - correctly tipped today) have been what I would describe as ‘traditional’ bets.  
I have counselled enough gambling addicts to know that betting is a mugs game.

From the horses mouth (so to speak):

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-08/why-paddy-power-pioneer-quit-betting-industry/11777058

One more, check out the comment from a guy who constantly won, and what B365 did .

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-06/sports-betting-gambling-royal-commission-costello-wilkie-say/11771506

Edited by dave birch
additonal content
  • Like 1

I think there’s enough empirical evidence for even Merce to concede that traditional betting is a mug’s game over the longer term. Only one winner really. 
The ‘stock market’ thing I don’t really know enough about but my gut instinct is that ultimately the bookies will win. I’d be interested to hear of people’s genuine experiences of it though (without willy waving).

PS - fair play to the mod who created the separate thread for this - good decision!

Edited by oldjamfan1

The ‘bookie’ on an exchange is the platform provider, I.e Betfair take a commission on winning bets/trades you’ve made against other punters in the market, so not a million miles form a stock market platform like Fidelity or Hargreaves Landsdown.

The exchanges are a different world than your traditional bookies.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The ‘bookie’ on an exchange is the platform provider, I.e Betfair take a commission on winning bets/trades you’ve made against other punters in the market, so not a million miles form a stock market platform like Fidelity or Hargreaves Landsdown.

The exchanges are a different world than your traditional bookies.

So basically for every winner there has to be  a loser(s), is that how it works?

In other words, when Merce comes on here bragging about a victory some poor soul somewhere has potentially spunked his wages against the wall? 

Theoretically, as it’s peer to peer.

But you don’t usually just put one bet on for/against an outcome and let it ride, it’s a trading platform largely, so you would look to back high and then lay low (or vice versa) just like a stock/currency market, so a ‘losing’ bet is often someone closing out a trade for a smaller profit.

Example, back a horse/home win at 5/1, lay it (offer a bet against it) later at 2/1, locking in a profit, even though that 2/1 is a ‘losing’ bet as the horse/home team wins - doesn’t matter to you as you’ve hedged your bet earlier.

Edited by Mattyblue