BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Sports Betting Thread

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Amended for you mate. If anyone can come on here and prove that they have made money over a reasonable period of time ON BETTING then I’ll be the first to put my hand up and admit I was wrong. Stock market type dealing, well I wouldn’t know about that, but I still suspect that it isn’t a licence to print money lol. Mercer has only just mentioned that today - all his other tips and predictions (including the horse he - to be fair - correctly tipped today) have been what I would describe as ‘traditional’ bets.  
I have counselled enough gambling addicts to know that betting is a mugs game.

Check your facts !!!

If you care to look over my posts over a period of time you will note two things.  Firstly, I've always maintained my Rovers' betting is the 'fun' side and any winnings are a bonus and secondly, I have referred to my 'Sports Trading' on numerous occasions, stating that is where the money is made.

It's also incredulous you are lambasting someone for something you admit you wouldn't know about.

If you are going to have a pop at folk then at least get your bloody facts right !!!!!

15 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I call bullshit on anyone who claims to beat the bookie, although I accept that you have both restricted that claim to the short term. You might both be on a purple patch but very few people come on and tell folk when/how much they have lost.

Gambling is a mug’s game, and especially where Rovers are concerned.

I know someone that 'never loses and always wins at poker'. Yet almost 7 years later I am still to see them on Pokerstars TV.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

Check your facts !!!

If you care to look over my posts over a period of time you will note two things.  Firstly, I've always maintained my Rovers' betting is the 'fun' side and any winnings are a bonus and secondly, I have referred to my 'Sports Trading' on numerous occasions, stating that is where the money is made.

It's also incredulous you are lambasting someone for something you admit you wouldn't know about.

If you are going to have a pop at folk then at least get your bloody facts right !!!!!

Calm down fella, touched a raw nerve have we? I’m not lambasting anybody, you are the one who keeps spouting ridiculous nonsense about betting on Rovers winning 4-0 etc, none of those bets have come in have they? I’m hardly going to check through all your previous posts to see whether you have ever mentioned this other system before am I? It’s an established fact that gamblers talk about their winnings but not their losses. If indeed you make a profit out of gambling/betting/trading, whatever you choose to call it - which you appear to claim to do - you will genuinely be the first person I have ever known to do so. Talk is cheap Merce, and you seem to have overlooked the fact that I did post earlier tonight that I would be genuinely interested to hear how it works and of people’s success rate at it - without the stupid willy waving that many gamblers seem to indulge in. 

I have to back Mercer on this. I know someone who does the same and has been baned from most of the bookie's. He says you have to be aware of what You're doing and not to do it as gambling. They have some sites for it and give you tips.

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Amended for you mate. If anyone can come on here and prove that they have made money over a reasonable period of time ON BETTING then I’ll be the first to put my hand up and admit I was wrong. Stock market type dealing, well I wouldn’t know about that, but I still suspect that it isn’t a licence to print money lol. Mercer has only just mentioned that today - all his other tips and predictions (including the horse he - to be fair - correctly tipped today) have been what I would describe as ‘traditional’ bets.  
I have counselled enough gambling addicts to know that betting is a mugs game.

I knew there was a reason behind your clear hatred for gambling pal!

My first thought was that you had gone Scottish Presbyterian or something up there ?

• Like 1

The house always wins over the long haul else the house would not be there. That said, there are some that know what they are doing while there are many that are reckless with what they are doing. Some people can be very successful but this also means that others will be blowing their wages every month.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Calm down fella, touched a raw nerve have we? I’m not lambasting anybody, you are the one who keeps spouting ridiculous nonsense about betting on Rovers winning 4-0 etc, none of those bets have come in have they? I’m hardly going to check through all your previous posts to see whether you have ever mentioned this other system before am I? It’s an established fact that gamblers talk about their winnings but not their losses. If indeed you make a profit out of gambling/betting/trading, whatever you choose to call it - which you appear to claim to do - you will genuinely be the first person I have ever known to do so. Talk is cheap Merce, and you seem to have overlooked the fact that I did post earlier tonight that I would be genuinely interested to hear how it works and of people’s success rate at it - without the stupid willy waving that many gamblers seem to indulge in. 

You have to bet on each team.one with the best odds to win and the other to cover your bet. As I said they have sites that explains it better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I knew there was a reason behind your clear hatred for gambling pal!

My first thought was that you had gone Scottish Presbyterian or something up there ?

PMSL mate

Edit: I don’t actually hate gambling but I don’t like it when people - and this isn’t specifically aimed at Mercer - brag about how much they have won when the fact of the matter is they lose more than they win. I have a particular friend who does this on Facebook all the time. If you believed his FB profile every bet he ever puts on comes in ?

Gambling addiction is a modern epidemic and if you look around towns and cities you will always see a pawnbrokers next door to the bookies. And that’s before we even talk about internet gambling! Ask any CAB money advisor about gambling..........

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

PMSL mate

Edit: I don’t actually hate gambling but I don’t like it when people - and this isn’t specifically aimed at Mercer - brag about how much they have won when the fact of the matter is they lose more than they win. I have a particular friend who does this on Facebook all the time. If you believed his FB profile every bet he ever puts on comes in ?

Gambling addiction is a modern epidemic and if you look around towns and cities you will always see a pawnbrokers next door to the bookies. And that’s before we even talk about internet gambling! Ask any CAB money advisor about gambling..........

Alcohol, tobacco, drugs, promiscuity and obesity  etc could all be construed to be the same, if not worse!

At the end of the day, we don't live in a 'nanny state' and we all have to take responsibility for our actions and decisions.

Yes, some may need assistance to help them through any one of a number of addictions but I would think 95%+ show the necessary self discipline to behave moderately and responsibly.  You simply can't 'castigate' the many for the excesses and irresponsibilities of the few!

Edited by Mercer

Just now, Mercer said:

Alcohol, tobacco, drugs, promiscuity and obesity  etc could all be construed to be the same, if not worse!

At the end of the day, we don't live in a 'nanny state' and we all have to take responsibility for our actions and decisions.

Yes, some may need assistance to help them through any one of a number of addictions but I would think 95%+ show the necessary self discipline to behave moderately and responsibly.  You simply can't 'castigate' the many for the excesses and irresponsibilities of the few!

You’re reading something that isn’t there Merce. I haven’t castigated anybody for gambling, it’s not my place to do that. I think it’s a mug’s game personally but I’m happy to learn about this Sports Trading thing. I do have a problem with those who claim to be beating the bookie but aren’t - mentioning no names here obviously.

I would disagree with your stat of only 5% of gamblers having a problem with it (I think it is much, much higher than that) but I wouldn’t bet on it ?

47 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Especially in Scotland.

• Backroom
12 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I’d be interested to hear of people’s genuine experiences of it though (without willy waving).

Please brag about your gambling wins you say, ah well, if you insist. ?

They call me the Acca King! 

My 2 greatest wins:

1. £7000 May 2016 = 10 fold Acca

A fine Monday Bank Holiday. My largest ever win.The day Leicester won the title. Had an acca on all the games over the course of the day. 2 of the results that stick in my mind (for obvious reasons), were Burnley to win ?, and Brighton to draw (95th min equaliser needed for that one!).

So, it comes to the final night game, and I have Chelsea Spurs down as a draw. We all know the story, Spurs 2-0 up at halftime. Chelsea not even at the races. It all looks doomed. Even when Chelsea get a goal back with half hour to go, I'm not really hopeful. Until the mercurial talent of Eden Hazard goes on one of his mazy runs and fires home on 83rd min. It being a late goal was handy too, because it meant I had the bottle to hold on for last 5 mins or so without cashing out and took home the full winnings. 

While Leicester fans were celebrating the amazing shock Premier League win, I was jumping round my living room like a lunatic professing my undying love for Hazard.  

2 £4000 Sep 2018 = 10 fold Acca

Again, all my results had come in throughout the course of Sunday. Various bets on football, rugby, and NFL. And it all came down to the final late NFL game that kicks off 1.20am UK time. Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers playing well recently and at home. Should be a shoe-in. I stay up late to watch. I watch the 1st half in horror. The Bears race into a 10 point lead. Even worse, Rodgers get crocked and ferried off the field on the back of one of those carts. Some rookie backup quarterback comes out, starts throwing like crap, immediately intercepted, halftime comes with the Packers losing 17-0. 

I give up all hope. Go to bed as have work in the morning, absolutely boiling. Literally can't get to sleep staring at the ceiling, steaming about how it all could have gone so wrong. Genuinely don't know what's happened until I log in my sports account on my lunch break next day and find thousands of pounds there I wasn't expecting. Quickly google the result to find out this has happened:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/10/17839956/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-chicago-bears-comeback-knee-injury

One of the greatest NFL comebacks of all time. Aaron Rodgers limps back onto the pitch in the 2nd half with his team 20 points down, and goes on to win the game basically standing on one leg. Insane.

Summary

I have wins like this under my belt, I also have over £50k of prize money on my stats for Pokerstars. I can assure you, neither of my accounts are profitable overall. Your story checks out Oldjamfan. ?

• Like 2

Just now, Silas said:

Summary

I have wins like this under my belt, I also have over £50k of prize money on my stats for Pokerstars. I can assure you, neither of my accounts are profitable overall. Your story checks out Oldjamfan. ?

Great post Silas, thanks for sharing this.

• Backroom
10 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Good lord, these are big numbers!!

The CEO of Bet365 is doing quite nicely, thank you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50834994

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/britains-best-paid-boss-denise-coates-took-home-320m-last-year-11889680

Sky New's reporting of this story caught my eye in particilar:

"Ms Coates..... will also be among the top providers of income tax to the treasury. 

It's estimated she would have paid around £125 million.

To put that in context: Google, Facebook, and Amazon paid a combined £108 million in corporation tax in 2018." 

So....... one woman paid more into the coffers in 1 year than 3 of the biggest companies on the planet, who take a large chunk of their income from the UK. 

That seems balanced. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 01:21, jodrell said:

I have to back Mercer on this. I know someone who does the same and has been baned from most of the bookie's. He says you have to be aware of what You're doing and not to do it as gambling. They have some sites for it and give you tips.

This guy you know - He's not called Rob Howley is he - speaks with a Welsh accent ?

In Mercers defence he’s telling the truth in that he always says Rovers betting is fun betting and it’s not his money. He’s always spoke about trading, too. 

I did profitaccumulator.com for quite some time. As it says, I won every time. It starts off great - month 1 was £200 up. By the end you’ve got the act on offers quickly and find it’s taken you a couple of hours to win about £23 so I packed it in. But it does, always, work.