BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jim Smith RIP

Manager, June1975- March1978, 34, youngest manager in the club's history. Signed Noel on a free from Spuds. Finance always an issue, and the signing of former Gooner John Radford seemed to unbalance the team, and off he went to the big city club somewhere in the Midlands. Fondly remembered by Rovers fans, thoughts as always with his family.

15 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Manager, June1975- March1978, 34, youngest manager in the club's history. Signed Noel on a free from Spuds. Finance always an issue, and the signing of former Gooner John Radford seemed to unbalance the team, and off he went to the big city club somewhere in the Midlands. Fondly remembered by Rovers fans, thoughts as always with his family.

I was only walking past Noel’s bench at Pleasy on Sunday.

1338733F-C26B-42EF-8C18-567C7E62F62F.thumb.jpeg.adc52ace4d610a70bf9bb00c4aa09fe2.jpeg

RIP Jim.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

2 Great memories of Jim Smith , beating Southampton at Ewood when Osgood was fighting everyone and the best being at Turf Moor .....If only Waggy had took that penalty !!!

Rip Jim and thanks for the memories !!

The two classic games of his era. I remember seeing an old codger in the Nuttall St stand empty his flask on Osgood as he went down the tunnel for his early bath.

Also can’t think Jim enough for bringing Waggy to Ewood.

• Like 3

Just been reminded of this: 

The (Rovers) Floral Dance

I thought I could hear the peculiar tone 

Of the Burnley fans when they start to moan

It’s hard to smile when you’re 3 goals down

Rovers are giving you the runaround

It’s always hard to win away

Except for Burnley on a Boxing Day

RIP Bald Eagle

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, m1st said:

At least Osgood had one thing to be remembered for!!?

Those were the days when fans could really get to a player. He spent half the game flicking V’s to the Riverside then finally went berserk when Bailey dived for a penalty.

Back to Smith, has any other manager signed three such fans favourites as Garner, Noel and Waggy, all for pennies? Best to forget about Radford and Svarc though.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, m1st said:

At least Osgood had one thing to be remembered for!!?

Osgood was a bit of a handful but he was a good footballer. He would have been better still if he hadn't have had his leg broken as a young player. Subsequently he made sure it never happened again by getting stuck in first.

RIP Jim, thanks for the memories.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I was only walking past Noel’s bench at Pleasy on Sunday.

1338733F-C26B-42EF-8C18-567C7E62F62F.thumb.jpeg.adc52ace4d610a70bf9bb00c4aa09fe2.jpeg

RIP Jim.

Is there NObody connected with the club or the Community Trust who can refurbish this bench so that it's a proper commemoration of one of the best players to wear blue and white in the last quarter or the 20th Century?

Come on, Venky's; you bought us lock, stock and barrel. If you bought a Premier League club - which we were, before you sacked Big Sam and replaced him with that nonentity whose name I choose not to repeat - you also bought our history. It surely wouldn't break your bank to refurbish this bench commemorating one of our most popular players of the last quarter of the 20th Century.

• Like 8