BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jim Smith RIP

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Secondly, fuelled by the impetuosity of youth I wrote to Jim at one point suggesting players we could possibly sign. I certainly never expected a reply but much to my surprise and delight received a beautifully typed letter on Club notepaper detailing individually why it was not practical to sign the players I'd mentioned. Signed with a flourish from the fountain pen of the man himself. You couldn't imagine a manager even reading such correspondence  these days let alone going to such trouble to reply.

RIP.

Great story and a fantastic thing to receive when you're young. It's little touches like that which make such a difference and binds you to a club for life. You're right - it's very unlikely to happen now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Great story and a fantastic thing to receive when you're young. It's little touches like that which make such a difference and binds you to a club for life. You're right - it's very unlikely to happen now. 

I too wrote to Jim asking why he had dropped Noel Brotherston. He graciously replied giving his reasons.

• Like 1

Just now, DeeCee said:

Was on the news bulletins on the radio through the night, mentioned clubs he had managed, never mentioned Rovers.

In my paper today - " Jim Smith the former Birmingham, Oxford, QPR, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Derby manager, who has died at the age of 79 ".

Being fair to them further on in the article it does mention lots about his early career, first as a player then manager at Boston, Colchester and then Rovers. Strange not to include Rovers in the first paragraph though.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In my paper today - " Jim Smith the former Birmingham, Oxford, QPR, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Derby manager, who has died at the age of 79 ".

Being fair to them further on in the article it does mention lots about his early career, first as a player then manager at Boston, Colchester and then Rovers. Strange not to include Rovers in the first paragraph though.

I don't understand how people are surprised that the media don't like us. They haven't done since the northern horde arrived in town. 

19 hours ago, m1st said:

Is there NObody connected with the club or the Community Trust who can refurbish this bench so that it's a proper commemoration of one of the best players to wear blue and white in the last quarter or the 20th Century?

Come on, Venky's; you bought us lock, stock and barrel. If you bought a Premier League club - which we were, before you sacked Big Sam and replaced him with that nonentity whose name I choose not to repeat - you also bought our history. It surely wouldn't break your bank to refurbish this bench commemorating one of our most popular players of the last quarter of the 20th Century.

Wonder who actually is responsible for the upkeep of the bench, Blackburn council? Looks like from the plaque it was donated by the family.

Anybody in touch with any of the Noel's family ,maybe we (BRFCS members )can chip in and get it restored 

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

Always very sad to hear the passing of someone associated with our club. Some incredible memories from his time with us. Who could ever forget the 3-2 win at Burnley and the loudest noise I’ve ever heard from our fans at an away game? The signings of Taylor and Wagstaffe; the pairing of Hird and Bailey. The 1-0 win at Bolton when Waddington got the winner and probably saved us from relegation in Jim Smiths first season in charge. The signing of Brotherstone from Spurs on a free transfer. 
RIP Jim Smith

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

Always very sad to hear the passing of someone associated with our club. Some incredible memories from his time with us. Who could ever forget the 3-2 win at Burnley and the loudest noise I’ve ever heard from our fans at an away game? The signings of Taylor and Wagstaffe; the pairing of Hird and Bailey. The 1-0 win at Bolton when Waddington got the winner and probably saved us from relegation in Jim Smiths first season in charge. The signing of Brotherstone from Spurs on a free transfer. 
RIP Jim Smith

Great, great memories..