BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Old Blackburnian's View - Pt 20 - Saturday Kitchen With Tony Mowbray

Thanks to Mrs Old Blackburnian "doing an Andre Gomes" to her right ankle last Friday night, there isn't an Old Blackburnian column as such this week as I've been otherwise engaged. Instead, here is a piece from the latest @4000Holes magazine to fill the gap. Hopefully back to normal next week...the column, not Mrs OB's ankle...oh, go buy 4000 Holes, it's terrific..!

Saturday Kitchen with Tony Mowbray

(as watched by BRFCS.com’s  @IanHerbert)

Saturday Kitchen: Tony welcome to the show, great pleasure to have you on the programme...are you a dab hand in the kitchen then?

Tony Mowbray (for it is he): Aye...well I’m partial to a chicken parmo as a rule and they do a lovely “croque monsieur” in the Costa in Yarm...one of Danny’s favourites that, so I like to think my tastes are cosmopolitan...Normally wor lass does the cooking but I like to help out every now and then...

SK: and I understand that you have a signature dish that you are going to show us today?

TM: That’s right...it’s my own, unique take on the staaaple dish of students the world over...Spaghetti Bolognese...

SK: I see, but with a twist Tony?

TM: Aye...nothing frustraaates me more than seeing good food and spices going to waste, especially if they’re my old favourites....so I like to add them to the mix so they feel part of the recipe. They rarely let me down and I feel that you’ve got to trust them to do their job you know...when to sit back in the flavour...when to combine with the vegetables...when to pep up the stock...that kind of thing...

SK: Well Tony, I am intrigued so let’s get you over here to the hob and get yourself started...

TM: First thing is to choose your pan...now most people use a heavy bottomed frying pan to fry but for me; your milk pans, your saucepans, your casseroles...they deserve respect and I often brown off my mince in a milk pan like this...

SK: Tony, that is unusual to say the least...

TM: It's the versatility I admire...your milk pan here can warm up milk for sure but it can slot into the back, the middle or the front of the hob here and be equally effective in any position...

SK: But Tony...most people use a frying pan or even a wok are you sure that...

TM: (interrupts) Now I have been in this game for many years and I have cooked faggots and peas in the Black Country, haggis in Glasgow and of course a chicken parmo back in my beloved Teesside so I think I can knock up a solid Bolognese here...

SK: Well if you are sure Tony...

TM: So we’ll start by chopping some onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and celery to make a solid back four to build on. Except we don’t seem to have any onions or celery...I had borrowed some from celery from my mate Colin in Cardiff but if you ask me it looked more like leeks but anyhow...I can make do and mend here with some baked beans, tomato ketchup and maybe a bit of black pepper...

SK: You value versatility Tony clearly...when you’re cooking wouldn't you find it to be a better idea to have a fully stocked store cupboard with all the necessary ingredients?

TM: You’d think so wouldn't you? But what I like is start a recipe without truly being fully certain of how it’s going to turn out. 

For instance, I started making a cracking Lancashire HotPot a few weeks back and as I was slowly braising some lamb I’d borrowed and slicing the potatoes it all looked fabulous and smelt terrific...I’m not sure what went wrong...my sous chef dropped the casserole dish, another 45 minutes in the oven and it all seemed to dry up and lose its flavour proving to be an utter disappointment. The family weren’t keen on it so I ended up giving it to the dogs. It was a proper dog’s breakfast you might say...

SK: You don’t follow a recipe book then Tony?

TM: Well I have some standard approaches to the kitchen and some “go to” recipes that I can feel I can rely upon in difficult circumstances...but as I say, I do like to throw in a curve ball every now and then...

SK: Well I can see that Tony...you’re now adding...is that corned beef? To the baked beans and you’re smothering it in strawberry jam...

TM: The jam has really impressed me at breakfast...performing exceptionally on toast...white at home and seeded brown away... but it’s time to see if it can step up to the challenge of contributing to a Bolognese...Many chefs wouldn’t do it this way but I think the jam can learn from the experience and become a better preserve...

SK: Tony...where’s your pasta ?

TM: Aye...well Steve says that our European supermarket scouting network is still being set up and so I prefer to use more traditional domestic produce...I mean post-Brexit that might be all we can use you know, so growing our own carbohydrate is crucial just in case the fancy foreign ingredients prove to be too expensive...

SK: So you’re not actually using pasta Tony ?

TM: No. *pauses*

Potatoes.

Very versatile your spud, it can make your mash, your roasties, your new potatoes...chips of course...what’s not to like ? I think potatoes need to be included in every menu personally...they’re definitely a favourite of mine...

SK: Now it’s all coming together there Tony...you have baked beans, corned beef, strawberry jam and...a jacket potato...what are you doing now Tony?

TM: Well thinking about it...the strawberry jam doesn't really go does it? 

SK: Well I didn't like to say to be honest...

TM: No...it’s lonely, isolated and struggling to integrate....so what I’ll do is put some mustard alongside it, take off the potato and ask the corned beef to play dessert...so there you have it... “Mowbray Spaghetti Bolognese”

SK: Well Tony...I can safely say that’s the most unusual Spaghetti Bolognese I think I’ve ever seen...do you get asked back to cook often?

TM: Not really, no.

SK: Thanks Tony.

• Like 5