BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (A) - Bradley Dack's Christmas Break

The Question is obvious...

The answer is not. 

The option for an unchanged side has been forced upon Mr Mowbray, so what's the plan people if you're in his shoes? Rothwell in the Dack role, Holtby? Nobody in that role and a change in formation?

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Williams

Travis Evans

Rothwell Holtby Downing

Graham

Would be my choice I reckon. Downing back up to the wing, Holtby behind Graham with Rothwell providing support. Give Armstrong, who despite scoring against Derby has been pretty poor in general as of late, a rest. Maybe start Gallagher up-top... maybe not. I think either him or Graham I'd be happy with to start.

Just now, JoeH said:

Walton

Travis Evans

Rothwell Holtby Downing

Graham

Would be my choice I reckon. Downing back up to the wing, Holtby behind Graham with Rothwell providing support. Give Armstrong, who despite scoring against Derby has been pretty poor in general as of late, a rest. Maybe start Gallagher up-top... maybe not. I think either him or Graham I'd be happy with to start.

Like that team alot! Looking forward to Rothwell & Holtby Link up. Take a Draw here.

I think Holtby for Dack has to be the obvious change. Wouldnt surprise me if he didnt as often the obvious logical change isnt the one that Mowbray does but we will see.

Graham has to start 100%, critical in terms of what he brings to us and has had 20 minutes rest in both games so far.

Dont want to see Bennett in the team at all to be honest, especially not shoehorned in at left back, a position he simply cannot play with any competence. Williams still isnt fit so id try and get Downing through one more game and we can reassess with Williams back for the Wigan game, although the gap between means Downing should be ready to go again.

The wide areas are a huge question mark, I like many others much prefer Rothwell to Armstrong but he simply hasnt taken his chance of 5 successive starts, no goals, no assists and his general performance level especially in these last 3 games has been really poor. Armstrong rarely imposes himself on games but we are crying out for goal contributions from our wide players and in his defence he does have one matchwinning goal and 2 assists in the last 5 games. Problem is that Rothwell left and Armstrong right is the only way we look balanced. If he does want to be cautious and stick Bennett in it should be for Rothwell and in the same position.

Johnson would also be a consideration but I would probably stick with the 2 we have already in there for now.

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Adarabioyo Downing

Travis Evans

Armstrong Holtby Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Bennett, Rankin Costello, Johnson, Gallagher, Chapman, Brereton

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Holtby for Dack has to be the obvious change. Wouldnt surprise me if he didnt as often the obvious logical change isnt the one that Mowbray does but we will see.

Graham has to start 100%, critical in terms of what he brings to us and has had 20 minutes rest in both games so far.

Dont want to see Bennett in the team at all to be honest, especially not shoehorned in at left back, a position he simply cannot play with any competence. Williams still isnt fit so id try and get Downing through one more game and we can reassess with Williams back for the Wigan game, although the gap between means Downing should be ready to go again.

The wide areas are a huge question mark, I like many others much prefer Rothwell to Armstrong but he simply hasnt taken his chance of 5 successive starts, no goals, no assists and his general performance level especially in these last 3 games has been really poor. Armstrong rarely imposes himself on games but we are crying out for goal contributions from our wide players and in his defence he does have one matchwinning goal and 2 assists in the last 5 games. Problem is that Rothwell left and Armstrong right is the only way we look balanced. If he does want to be cautious and stick Bennett in it should be for Rothwell and in the same position.

Johnson would also be a consideration but I would probably stick with the 2 we have already in there for now.

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Adarabioyo Downing

Travis Evans

Armstrong Holtby Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Bennett, Rankin Costello, Johnson, Gallagher, Chapman, Brereton

I like this, although I feel Armstrong been performing badly enough in general to warrant a dubs bench place for me.

I don't want to  sound like a broken record, but it can't be long until Mowbray decides to shoehorn Bennett in somewhere else now that Nyambe has made the right back spot his own.

I'm thinking left back, to allow Downing to move up to left mid, with Rothwell back on the bench.

59 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I like this, although I feel Armstrong been performing badly enough in general to warrant a dubs bench place for me.

Could have won us the game last night. Lightning fast counter. Practically our entire team in the penalty area, some of theirs still running back. He managed to find the one bit of empty space in the final third to pass it to.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I think both Armstrong and Rothwells general level of performance has been not great but even though I rate the latter more, the former has at least been directly contributing to goals. I feel like dropping either may affect the balance of the team with no credible replacment. I think Downing has been best at left back and especially with Williams out moving him will only weaken us.

• Madon pinned this topic
3 hours ago, JoeH said:

The Question is obvious...

The answer is not. 

The option for an unchanged side has been forced upon Mr Mowbray, so what's the plan people if you're in his shoes? Rothwell in the Dack role, Holtby? Nobody in that role and a change in formation?

4-4-2 with Gallagher and Brereton.

Waltony.

Nyambey tosiny Lenny Williamsy

Army Evansy Travy Downy

Breretony

Gallaghery.

Edited by Nelsonthedog

Walton

Nyambe   Lenihan.  Tosin.   Bell

Bennett.  Travis.   Evans.   Armstrong 

Holtby

Gallagher

subs: Canadian, Downing, Johnson, Rothwell, Rankin-Costello, Brereton, Graham

Id rest Graham and Downing. Straight swaps. 
I was also tempted to start JRC.

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Walton

Travis Evans

Rothwell Holtby Downing

Graham

You mean Armstrong who's scored one, and made one in our last 2? And you'd drop him.. 

• Like 2

Don't think Bristol City can be as bad again as they were in losing home to Millwall.

This  is another level of difficulty again beyond the Swansea game. 

Coming back with a point would be huge.

Play Holtby in the Dack role, Johnson alongside Evans, Travis to replace Rothwell and pray for Downing to be OK. Bennett gives the ball away too much to be a safe option anywhere.

• Like 1

Watching us V the Swans we looked very leggy, although so did Swansea. Think some of our squad may benefit from a rest. I have a bad feeling this will be a rest for the wrong players and we will see the likes of Bennett back in and Gallaher on the wing. 

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Travis     Holtby

Armstrong  Buckley   Rothwell

Gallagher

i do think the manager will want as little disruption as possible to his settled side. The fear for me is he will bring Bennett in at full back, downing out wide and Rothwell in Dacks role. I hope this hunch is proved wrong as a think we will lose on the organisational side of things taking the captaincy of Lenihan. 

Anyway nothing to fear, 3 points is certainly possible.   

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I don't think Williams has travelled with the squad, so he won't be playing.

I reckon It's Holtby for Dack & Bennett for Rothwell.

Is he fit? He’s got tomorrow to drive down surely if so.

Benno almost gave a penalty last night again down that left side. 

Leave Bennett out if possible, these are the big tests for TM to see if there really is a new leaf been turned. If changes are needed try and go like for like with the player most suited to that position. Not because it just happens to be player A,B or C  next in line in the pecking order so re arrange just to accommodate.

I think it's undeniable that a large factor in the recent upturn has been a more horses for courses approach. Side looks more balanced and more comfortable.

Big test of the tinker.