BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (A) - Bradley Dack's Christmas Break

I’m beginning to think this message board has as big a blind spot about Rothwell as Mowbray does about Bennett. Another game where he made no impact on the score line while the much-maligned Armstrong lays one on a plate for Graham.

Holtby for Dack is a good chance to see if we should cash in on Bradley in Jan and Bennett (our top provider of assists) wide right moving Armstrong to the left would be my choice.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 4

When they start with Gallagher wide right he's galloping all over the shop and they keep aiming balls in his general direction. When he gets it on the deck if not in space to knock it forward he often loses it as it's an unatural role.

Just having Rothwell there or an able right sided player gives the side far more balance and chance of ball retention. I think some are a bit blinded to that just expecting him to tear up trees every time he has the ball. I'd give Chapman a go but failing that i'll stick with Rothwell over Gally, Brereton or Samuel there.

Maybe Saturday will be his one great game in every five or so he seems that type, sometimes you just have to let them stick at it. Although to me he's a better impact sub but still the best suited to start there at the min.

Get a bloody winger in !

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Don't think Bristol City can be as bad again as they were in losing home to Millwall.

This  is another level of difficulty again beyond the Swansea game. 

Coming back with a point would be huge.

Play Holtby in the Dack role, Johnson alongside Evans, Travis to replace Rothwell and pray for Downing to be OK. Bennett gives the ball away too much to be a safe option anywhere.

Millwall won at both Swansea and Bristol since Rowett was appointed. 

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

A 10 minute walk for me this one following a move to Bristol earlier this year. Would personally take another point if offered now; Millwall aside they're pretty decent at home and have had a day's rest on us. Hopefully see a few of you in the local boozers on Saturday.

What was our excuse against Swansea? ?

36 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m beginning to think this message board has as big a blind spot about Rothwell as Mowbray does about Bennett. Another game where he made no impact on the score line while the much-maligned Armstrong lays one on a plate for Graham.

Holtby for Dack is a good chance to see if we should cash in on Bradley in Jan and Bennett (our top provider of assists) wide right moving Armstrong to the left would be my choice.

I'm with you EIT. He has been comfortably our worst performer in each of the last three games.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nelsonthedog said:

You mean Armstrong who's scored one, and made one in our last 2? And you'd drop him.. 

Yeah. It’s not all about individual one off moments in a game. His general performance has been way below a standard, as has Rothwell’s. 

17 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Mental comment. The amount of times I've said this about Arma in the past 18months is uncanny. Yet he's still started 80% of games. Rothwell (impact sub) how many starts? Rothwell starting the same amount of games  would of done as much impact if not more. On his day he's technically our best player - we need him in the starting 11 despite the lack of form. Putting Bennett ahead of him is criminal.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Mental comment. The amount of times I've said this about Arma in the past 18months is uncanny. Yet he's still started 80% of games. Rothwell (impact sub) how many starts? Rothwell starting the same amount of games  would of done as much impact if not more. On his day he's technically our best player - we need him in the starting 11 despite the lack of form. Putting Bennett ahead of him is criminal.

I dont understand how you can make such an outlandish comment that Rothwell is our best technical player 

I am a fan of Rothwell and I think I would start him tomorrow, more due to the balance he can give us and the lack of alternatives, but quite simply he has not taken his chance with both hands in these 5 successive starts, he has been rather ineffective.

Dack is our best technical player undoubtedly, not only are some of his little turns, pirouettes, nutmegs, spinning out of tiny little spaces crowded by 2 and 3 men in a way I cant remember a Rovers player doing for some time great to watch, but theres an end product with him. Either plenty of goals or a penetrative pass, for example the one that led to Holtbys goal v Huddersfield, the one that led to Armstrongs goal v Forest or the one in the build up to Gallaghers goal at Stoke. I would also suggest that Holtby is better technically than Rothwell.

Rothwell is a bit of an enigma. I dont think he has started enough games in a Rovers shirt and has been unfairly treated perhaps at times compared to some alternatives who seem to be more favoured by the manager. I love watching Rothwell but I am still unconvinced that he can score and assist goals with any regularity and he needs to start doing that, I have been really dissapointwd by him in this run of games he has been given.

Think we might come unstuck in this it's a tough game and this league is mad.  No need for meltdown as long as it's not a revert to type from the manager that blatantly looks like it costs us.

Fancy another draw myself but head says....

Brizzle  2   Rovers   1

Struggling to see us getting anymore than a point tomorrow to be honest. I can understand the call for dropping Rothwell as he has been ineffective in end product but he does gives the opponents defenders more to think about with Downing coming forward from full back. With Bell or Bennett at full back I'd wager that our opponents would rather defend against that then stop Rothwell and prevent Downing coming on the overlap.

Coming from full back allows Downing more time to put in a telling cross, a lot like Le Saux used to do.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont understand how you can make such an outlandish comment that Rothwell is our best technical player 

I am a fan of Rothwell and I think I would start him tomorrow, more due to the balance he can give us and the lack of alternatives, but quite simply he has not taken his chance with both hands in these 5 successive starts, he has been rather ineffective.

Dack is our best technical player undoubtedly, not only are some of his little turns, pirouettes, nutmegs, spinning out of tiny little spaces crowded by 2 and 3 men in a way I cant remember a Rovers player doing for some time great to watch, but theres an end product with him. Either plenty of goals or a penetrative pass, for example the one that led to Holtbys goal v Huddersfield, the one that led to Armstrongs goal v Forest or the one in the build up to Gallaghers goal at Stoke. I would also suggest that Holtby is better technically than Rothwell.

Rothwell is a bit of an enigma. I dont think he has started enough games in a Rovers shirt and has been unfairly treated perhaps at times compared to some alternatives who seem to be more favoured by the manager. I love watching Rothwell but I am still unconvinced that he can score and assist goals with any regularity and he needs to start doing that, I have been really dissapointwd by him in this run of games he has been given.

My comment states "on his day" (game time) the start of your last paragraph sums it up in a nutshell. I just feel we could of had a right player on our hands if he got the right game time & treatment. I 100% agree that he hasn't performed and actually have got quite frustrated with him recently but its near or enough the same i've been with Arma since he signed for us. Its a dip of bad form for the lad. This weekend, i'd be keen to see how he links up with Holtby (if they both start) I feel Bennett will creep back into the side though.

Walton

Nyambe / Lenihan / Tosin / Downing

Trav / Johnson / Evans

Holtby / Rothwell

Arma 

Thinking behind this is, two very decent playmakers should be able to slip the ball through the defence for Arma to run on to, here's hoping anyway. with the 3 in the midfield we shouldn't lose too many battles in there and that's what we have to start doing against the 'bigger' teams which is controlling the midifeld

26 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

My Team - 

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Johnson Evans

Armstrong      Holtby    Rothwell

Gallagher

2-1 City with Gallagher opener.

Alright Bradley, whats the story? Man what happened you since the start of the season?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Our best technical player is probably Downing. Shout for Holtby. Dack also. It's certainly not Rothwell, for all his strenghts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

That’s always the argument for Rothwell, some hypothetical achievements. “All he needs is starts” was the mantra. Well, clearly not. He’s had one good showing and no end product from five of them. So how many more?

He’s 25 next month and hasn’t yet got to 70 league starts or 10 league goals, so I don’t buy into the mantra that the only thing wrong with Joe Rothwell is Tony Mowbray.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

That’s always the argument for Rothwell, some hypothetical achievements. “All he needs is starts” was the mantra. Well, clearly not. He’s had one good showing and no end product from five of them. So how many more?

He’s 25 next month and hasn’t yet got to 70 league starts or 10 league goals, so I don’t buy into the mantra that the only thing wrong with Joe Rothwell is Tony Mowbray.

I think it's looking like that a bit, but he went on a pretty consistent run at the end of last season, so if he can manage that soon, it would be just swell! 

• Like 1

Bristol City home results this season:

Lost 3-1 v Leeds

Won 2-0 v QPR

Drew 2-2 v Middlesbrough 

Drew 0-0 v Swansea

Drew 2-2 v Wigan

Won 2-1 v Charlton 

Won 1-0 v Reading

Won 5-2 v Huddersfield 

Drew 0-0 v Forest

Lost 2-1 v Millwall

So played 10, won 4, drawn 4, lost 2

Swansea, Wigan, Millwall and Middlesbrough have all come back with points, all below us in the table.

Let's see if Mowbray can set the team up correctly for a result or if it is headless chicken time.