BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (A) - Bradley Dack's Christmas Break

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

We're entering dangerous territory now though, two home games where I think everyone will be expecting to win and the pressure will be on, hopefully two decent Ewood crowds that will stay patient if we're not 1-0 up in the first 10 mins, think the lads have earned that over the past few weeks.

Two home games followed by Huddersfield away. Should be a sell out for us.

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Pretty much. You saw it in the Barnsley match, their manager looked at our bench in amazement.

Besides a slight lack of pace out wide, we've got a very, very strong squad for this division. We should be challenging for the Playoffs. 

I agree with you ER. I think the manager deserves credit for bringing in some experienced quality to go with some good young players.  
Another factor for today was in the 3 days the squad spent together since Wednesday; the players that came in were certainly well coached and allowed Mowbray to take a calculated risk with his team selection. 
I’m especially pleased for Gallagher and Bell who I think have something about them. 
Great day to be a Rover!

• Like 2

• Backroom

Confidence is obviously sky high at the moment across the squad and it shows with how we play. I was bamboozled by today's team selection but fair play, we won the match and looked good so absolutely no complaints from me. TM got it right and has been getting it right for the past few games. 

I think our defence being largely unchanged was key. Other than Downing being swapped for Bell it was the same backline we've seen throughout our resurrection and it continues to look solid. My biggest fear right now is one of Lenihan/Tosin getting injured (especially Lenihan) as those two look really solid together at the back. Nyambe looking very solid at RB and it's a real shame Bennett was shoehorned into that position for so long at Nyambe's expense. Still, what's done is done and hopefully that position now belongs to Nyambe going forward.

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

Confidence is obviously sky high at the moment across the squad and it shows with how we play. I was bamboozled by today's team selection but fair play, we won the match and looked good so absolutely no complaints from me. TM got it right and has been getting it right for the past few games. 

I think our defence being largely unchanged was key. Other than Downing being swapped for Bell it was the same backline we've seen throughout our resurrection and it continues to look solid. My biggest fear right now is one of Lenihan/Tosin getting injured (especially Lenihan) as those two look really solid together at the back. Nyambe looking very solid at RB and it's a real shame Bennett was shoehorned into that position for so long at Nyambe's expense. Still, what's done is done and hopefully that position now belongs to Nyambe going forward.

Add to that, Walton looking better recently too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Without doubt, the worst side we have fielded this season.

Players out of position, players not good enough. Our left hand side is the stuff of nightmares. Right hand side isn’t much better.

Surely must be some kind of message to Venkys for January. It’s like not winning/performing on Wednesday means that the “fans choice” team wasn’t up to it and he knows best.

Just when we dared to think that he had learned from previous mistakes. I’m not buying tiredness either, not for 6 players. Dack being suspended and it being a “top 6 side” has given him an excuse to mess with things instead of sticking with what works and using one, maybe two, changes in personnel in a system that worked.

If we lose today it’s ALL on Mowbray. Here’s hoping we nick it 1-0 but I can’t see it. February may well come early this season.

:rolleyes:

?

• Like 5

Absolutely tremendous performance and result, possibly the best of the season, and I am absolutely decided to say that Mowbray got everything spot on today, well done to him, delighted.

Johnson put in exactly the sort of performance I expected to see, great goal, great assist from his pressing and just so tenacious and much neater in possession than usual. Travis was superb next to him and you would have hated playing against them. Holtby was also full of quality, great corner for the goal and just usually very economical and composed, and ran himself ragged, as did Bennett who was quietly effective and is much more effective in midfield than in defence.

Defensively, Lenihan has made a monumental difference, seems to have become much calmer and less rash and is a proper leader back there. Adarabioyo was very good again beside him, our defence has come on leaps and bounds. Nyambe again was terrific and special mention to Bell, been really poor throughout his time here, doesnt play for ages and comes in and performs like that. Good going both ways, I remember a couple of excellent bits of defensive work when 99% of the time he usually lets a cross in, no such luck for their wingers today. Walton with one crucial save that I remember, otherwise very calm dealing with crosses but very little to do.

Thought Brereton was our most ineffective player to be honest, tried and did one good pass first half to set up Johnson but hasnt done anything to make Mowbray pick him next time. Gallagher was better, clumsy at times and shattered at the end but ran his socks off without really coming close. Armstrong came on and had an impact, great composure for the goal, I think the gauntlet was put down to him and Rothwell to start contributing with goals and assists, 5 starts and a sub apeparance each, Armstrong has 2 goals and 2 assists, Rothwell nothing sadly.

Some very tough decisions to ponder over the next 9 days before Wigan. Which 2 from Johnson, Travis and Evans in midfield? Who plays up front, not sure either did enough to guarantee a start, definitely not Brereton and Dack obviously should play, but who next to? Who plays wide, Holtby was very impressive and Bennett did his understated job very efficiently, or do you bring in some pace, especially with Armstrong scoring. And even at left back, Bell has come from nowhere to be entitled to be annoyed if hes dropped again for Downing.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely tremendous performance and result, possibly the best of the season, and I am absolutely decided to say that Mowbray got everything spot on today, well done to him, delighted.

Johnson put in exactly the sort of performance I expected to see, great goal, great assist from his pressing and just so tenacious and much neater in possession than usual. Travis was superb next to him and you would have hated playing against them. Holtby was also full of quality, great corner for the goal and just usually very economical and composed, and ran himself ragged, as did Bennett who was quietly effective and is much more effective in midfield than in defence.

Defensively, Lenihan has made a monumental difference, seems to have become much calmer and less rash and is a proper leader back there. Adarabioyo was very good again beside him, our defence has come on leaps and bounds. Nyambe again was terrific and special mention to Bell, been really poor throughout his time here, doesnt play for ages and comes in and performs like that. Good going both ways, I remember a couple of excellent bits of defensive work when 99% of the time he usually lets a cross in, no such luck for their wingers today. Walton with one crucial save that I remember, otherwise very calm dealing with crosses but very little to do.

Thought Brereton was our most ineffective player to be honest, tried and did one good pass first half to set up Johnson but hasnt done anything to make Mowbray pick him next time. Gallagher was better, clumsy at times and shattered at the end but ran his socks off without really coming close. Armstrong came on and had an impact, great composure for the goal, I think the gauntlet was put down to him and Rothwell to start contributing with goals and assists, 5 starts and a sub apeparance each, Armstrong has 2 goals and 2 assists, Rothwell nothing sadly.

Some very tough decisions to ponder over the next 9 days before Wigan. Which 2 from Johnson, Travis and Evans in midfield? Who plays up front, not sure either did enough to guarantee a start, definitely not Brereton and Dack obviously should play, but who next to? Who plays wide, Holtby was very impressive and Bennett did his understated job very efficiently, or do you bring in some pace, especially with Armstrong scoring. And even at left back, Bell has come from nowhere to be entitled to be annoyed if hes dropped again for Downing.

How I would line up.

LINEUP111576346113653.png

Our win today cost me £276, but who gives a shit.

This is the best I have felt about our team since Allardyce was in charge! 

After Barnsley I thought the nail was in Tony's coffin. After Bristol City I honestly believe we can do it this season.

Let's end the year with 9 more points. Have a successful January window and go on and storm the league!!

Wembley would be one hell of a day out, but my ticker would prefer 2nd place.

On reflection that was probably the best last 30 minutes I've seen from us since forever. From 80 minutes it seemed to go so slowly and I was counting down every second, expecting the City goal and the inevitable barrange and hanging on. But we saw it out well with some pretty decent possession.

The fact that some Bristol City fans started leaving after the 2nd goal was testament to how we outplayed them. I mean, who leaves at only 0-2 with 13 minutes plus added time to go?

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Against Swansea, we looked knackered, overall. A draw was a superb result, all things considered. Today, we looked totally sharp. I'm assuming that the team stayed down in that area, but I honestly reckon the journey down took its toll on Wednesday night's performance.

Didnt Mowbray said after Swansea game it took alot longer to get down there then it should do? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Backroom
Just now, OnePhilT said:

I'm not sure. But it definitely showed. Makes you wonder what could have been if we'd have got the logistics right.

At the end of the day a draw there was still a good result. Plus if we had won I think Mowbray may have been more hesitant about making wholesale changes as he did today, which could have led to a defeat. 

Great result, and anyone who picks the starting line up against Wigan can have anything off the bottom shelf. Think he might give Bell another chance with Downing in front of him, obviously Dack back in and recall Evans and possibly DG for Gallagher. But knowing TM it could be anything, good that we finally have a lot of options....

Just now, unsall said:

Great result, and anyone who picks the starting line up against Wigan can have anything off the bottom shelf. Think he might give Bell another chance with Downing in front of him, obviously Dack back in and recall Evans and possibly DG for Gallagher. But knowing TM it could be anything, good that we finally have a lot of options....

With TM, I feel like a lot of options is almost a bad thing...

• Like 4