BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (A) - Bradley Dack's Christmas Break

Just now, Husky said:

That's just a parody account isn't it?

no, he was on Skype with Roverseas for one of his videos

i do love his passion but have to agree with Amo. Not seen many saying we were lucky to win - actually nobody at all  Fans will always criticis a lineup, be fickle - thats football on all forums. Most have held their hands up - so throwing in digs like that is not a good look. he himself admitted the lineup made him nervous.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I don't know why people put so much emphasis on team selection. Here's my devil's advocate...

I dreaded the thought of Bell being in the starting line-up. He played a blinder. Do I get heated up about him starting? No. Why? Because sod's law says that I'll end up with egg on my face! The problem? Vocal posters are filled too much with pride to accept that they were wrong, and will insist that "Mowbray got lucky" ?

I'd have gone with Bennett instead of Rothwell, given Rothwell's performances over the last few matches, and the fact that Bennett is our joint-highest goal-assistant this season. I wanted to see Bennett play further up the pitch to see what he could offer. Did he offer much? Not really! He was OK, and I think he helped Bell out, but that's about all.

See... We can comment, and we're free to do so, but it goes to show that we generally know fuck all when it comes to football management.

Thought Bell and Bennett worked well - Bell got forward a few times without it being scary.

Brereton does not look convoncing at all but together with Gallagher they kept Bristol occupied. If Johnson had buried that 2nd chance then Brereton would get more praise for today. That said he still looks like Bambi on ice at times...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The next of which is in 9 days, plenty of time for rest.

We have a winning formula at the moment, no wonder people are so annoyed. Essentially raising the white flag with that side. Lets hope hes proved a genius at 5 o clock. 

well Mowbray was right. 

The white flag was raise within the Rovers flag flying high

• Like 2

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Raya really worked on his distribution in his last year with us, but it was one of the lesser-told stories of the season. Right foot. Left foot. No problem! Ben Benson seems to get a lot of unfounded stick on here for some reason, but Raya absolutely improved his distribution at Rovers last season.

Simply put, Walton has a better defence in front of him this season. He is so much-more protected than Raya was. That's not taking anything away from Walton, but he seems about as commanding as Raya was - not very. That probably has something to do with age and confidence. Still, I agree generally with Bigdogg... Walton makes me a bit less nervous at the simple things between the sticks than Raya does, and to be fair to Walton, he has pulled off some great saves so far this season.

This is the thing. brentford fans are delighted with his commanding of the box - as his performance against us showed. I do agree that Walton has a better defence but I am firmly in the camp that Raya is the better keeper. Put Raya with our defence instead of last seasons and he would still be here. 

• Like 5

Absolutely delighted after that a complete away performance. I was surprised to say the least when I heard the line up but those players who have been out the team played with a real hunger to take their opportunity and to stake a claim for their place in the team giving the manager plenty of headaches for his next selection.

Walton 7- Not over worked but dealt well with crosses and made what looked like a good save from a deflected effort in the first half.

Nyambe 8- Continued his fantastic form, he's always been very solid defensively but he is now growing in confidence going forward a couple times today in the first half he flew past the Bristol full back.

Tosin 8- After a dodgy game mid week he was back on form today.

Lenihan 8- Immense, won every header and made a great block in the first half as I think the shot was going in.

Bell 8- After quite rightly being dropped he looked like a different player to the one we have had for the last 2 years. A danger going forward including a good run to win the corner for the first goal. But it was his defensive worked that really impressed me he played with a fire in his belly, getting stuck in closing his man down and blocking crosses. Without a doubt his best performance in a Rovers shirt and by some distance.

Travis 7- Full of energy and along with Johnson dominated the midfield.

Johnson 9- Best player on the pitch, bossed the game quite literally from the first minute until the last, used his presence to physically dominate their midfield.

Holtby 8.5-  Showed real class today when in possession they couldn't get near him and had to resort to just fouling him. But he also showed plenty of hard work when out of possession.

Bennett 7- Is much better suited to playing further forward, where his positional play isn't as important. Also he can hassle his opponent but when he overs commits which he does do he has plenty of protection behind him. 

Brereton 5- Absolutely shot of confidence a couple times he got into decent areas but seemed clueless as to what to do. One plus point was that early on he went shoulder to shoulder with Ashley Williams with Williams ending up on the floor. Not a lot to get excited about I know but I am afraid is small pickings as far as he is concerned.

Gallagher 8- Worked tirelessly from start to finish, superb in the air and really deserved a goal for his performance which I thought he had when his volley produced a very good save from the keeper.

Armstrong 8- The perfect sub to bring on today with his pace and as well as his goal he also caused them plenty of other problems

Rothwell- Not on for long but was very neat and tidy in possession.

Also today the behaviour from their goal keeper to try and get Sam Gallagher sent off was one of the most embarrassing things that I have ever seen on a football pitch, it was absolutely pathetic. Although he is probably just reflecting the behaviour of his repulsive, squeaky little manager. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Watched Johnsons goal again. The keeper jumped the same time it hit the net. What a rocket! 

It was a cracking strike.

I really wonder what's happened here with him. I was expecting him to be a great signing, he started well enough and then his performances went down hill.

He was dropped and was out of the team for a while. Just poor performances? Attitude? Both?

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Absolutely delighted after that a complete away performance. I was surprised to say the least when I heard the line up but those players who have been out the team played with a real hunger to take their opportunity and to stake a claim for their place in the team giving the manager plenty of headaches for his next selection.

Walton 7- Not over worked but dealt well with crosses and made what looked like a good save from a deflected effort in the first half.

Nyambe 8- Continued his fantastic form, he's always been very solid defensively but he is now growing in confidence going forward a couple times today in the first half he flew past the Bristol full back.

Tosin 8- After a dodgy game mid week he was back on form today.

Lenihan 8- Immense, won every header and made a great block in the first half as I think the shot was going in.

Bell 8- After quite rightly being dropped he looked like a different player to the one we have had for the last 2 years. A danger going forward including a good run to win the corner for the first goal. But it was his defensive worked that really impressed me he played with a fire in his belly, getting stuck in closing his man down and blocking crosses. Without a doubt his best performance in a Rovers shirt and by some distance.

Travis 7- Full of energy and along with Johnson dominated the midfield.

Johnson 9- Best player on the pitch, bossed the game quite literally from the first minute until the last, used his presence to physically dominate their midfield.

Holtby 8.5-  Showed real class today when in possession they couldn't get near him and had to resort to just fouling him. But he also showed plenty of hard work when out of possession.

Bennett 7- Is much better suited to playing further forward, where his positional play isn't as important. Also he can hassle his opponent but when he overs commits which he does do he has plenty of protection behind him. 

Brereton 5- Absolutely shot of confidence a couple times he got into decent areas but seemed clueless as to what to do. One plus point was that early on he went shoulder to shoulder with Ashley Williams with Williams ending up on the floor. Not a lot to get excited about I know but I am afraid is small pickings as far as he is concerned.

Gallagher 8- Worked tirelessly from start to finish, superb in the air and really deserved a goal for his performance which I thought he had when his volley produced a very good save from the keeper.

Armstrong 8- The perfect sub to bring on today with his pace and as well as his goal he also caused them plenty of other problems

Rothwell- Not on for long but was very neat and tidy in possession.

Also today the behaviour from their goal keeper to try and get Sam Gallagher sent off was one of the most embarrassing things that I have ever seen on a football pitch, it was absolutely pathetic. Although he is probably just reflecting the behaviour of his repulsive, squeaky little manager. 

Ya,Johnson is a bell end.

The keeper look like he took a hard knock diving for Johnsons shot whilst the Rovers players were celebrating the goal, so maybe he got mild concussion or something. 

Just now, davulsukur said:

It was a cracking strike.

I really wonder what's happened here with him. I was expecting him to be a great signing, he started well enough and then his performances went down hill.

He was dropped and was out of the team for a while. Just poor performances? Attitude? Both?

Could be just a loss of form,but maybe there was more to it. Great that he came back in and played like today though. 

Listened to the Mowbray interview on Radio lancs after the game  and he spoke about Johnson,He didn't seem happy that Johnson hadn't found a place to live up here  and was saying the travelling to and from training had been taking it's toll on his fitness.

He looked fitter today and kept possession better than he had been doing prior to him losing his place in the team.

• Like 3

Just now, islander200 said:

Listened to the Mowbray interview on Radio lancs after the game  and he spoke about Johnson,He didn't seem happy that Johnson hadn't found a place to live up here  and was saying the travelling to and from training had been taking it's toll on his fitness.

He looked fitter today and kept possession better than he had been doing prior to him losing his place in the team.

• Like 2

Just now, islander200 said:

Interesting. 

• Backroom

Definitely something not quite right with Johnson, didn't realise he wasn't even living in the area. Hopefully today was the start of a renaissance of sorts, although it would be harsh to drop Evans long-term considering his recent performances. Great to have genuine competition for those positions though - it's been a while.

Just now, DE. said:

Definitely something not quite right with Johnson, didn't realise he wasn't even living in the area. Hopefully today was the start of a renaissance of sorts, although it would be harsh to drop Evans long-term considering his recent performances. Great to have genuine competition for those positions though - it's been a while.

That sort of travelling is far from ideal, especially when you're getting a bit older. Anybody else think that the corner/goal was a planned move ? It looked that way to me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I've only seen Raya against us this season, but aside from a superb save against Armstrong, he look a little bit nervous to me, particularly on crosses.

They are both young keepers, and they are both held to high standards. They are both pretty good for their age when that's taken into consideration! I think both will have great careers over the next 10-15 years.

They must have a lot of spare 'keepers at Brighton. There's another one in Rochdale's first team at the moment.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That sort of travelling is far from ideal, especially when you're getting a bit older. Anybody else think that the corner/goal was a planned move ? It looked that way to me.

The gaffer came up with the routine. We worked on it in training yesterday after being shown their weaknesses at set plays.” Quote from Johnson

• Like 5

Just got back from the game, great result and performance from everyone.

I can’t fault anyone, but special mentions to Bell, Johnson and Nyambe. I thought Walton was also superb when called upon.

I feel bad for Brereton, I really want him to be a success but he seems so short on confidence. He was in at one point and just needed to swing a left foot at it but seemed reluctant and ended up stalling and losing it. Just needs to play with out fear. Played a cracking pass to Johnson who then had his shot saved.

• Like 5

Not to try and distract away from a great win but Lee Johnson is an odious character. He had been yellow carded when he threw the ball at somebody on the Rovers bench and got away with it. He constantly harangues the fourth official and scuttles around likes child who can't get his own way when a decision goes against them.

And the referee was the worst we have had this season. In what has generally been a sea of dross he eclipsed his colleagues.

• Like 5