BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (A) - Bradley Dack's Christmas Break

4 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

If TM got us to the Premier League in the next couple of years then he would fully deserve the opportunity to build a team for that level.  He has another two seasons on his contract to achieve that.  I would agree that the likes of Brereton and Chapman have been very disappointing signings but I still believe he should be given money in January and next summer to continue the building of the squad.

There's dilemma here---he would deserve it but he couldn't do it. And, to get near the play-offs, Tosin and Lenihan have to remain uninjured and free from suspension

59 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That as well.

Isn’t it funny though, when we win there are people who enjoy baiting “the doubters” more than the results.

Yet they don’t acknowledge that we are winning because of the changes made on the field.

I wouldn’t like to see yesterday’s side as the consistent starting XI. I’d still say it was our worst this season. But for Lady Luck, which you get when you are in form, we could have been 3-1 down in the first half. But it doesn’t matter because Mowbray got it right yesterday and my fears were allayed.

So you and the lickers, sorry likers, enjoy yourselves. It’s certainly easier to take when we are winning football matches.

I genuinely hope you are still crowing and baiting come May because then it will mean something. :tu: 

could have been 3-1 down?We could have but on the same note we could have been 2-0 or 3-0 up, Gallaghers shot was a good save and Johnson should have buried the chance he had

26 minutes ago, 47er said:

If we were in the Premier league, just about the entire squad would have to be over-hauled if we were to survive and not be down by Christmas.

The cost would be enormous but, of course, so would the revenue.

My question is, would you trust TM to spend it well?

I wouldn't. That's the brutal truth.

Could’ve said the exact same thing about Sheff United. Success is about much moRe than star names. 

IF TM gets us up then the club and the fans should back him with everything we’ve got. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arbitro said:

Not to try and distract away from a great win but Lee Johnson is an odious character. He had been yellow carded when he threw the ball at somebody on the Rovers bench and got away with it. He constantly harangues the fourth official and scuttles around likes child who can't get his own way when a decision goes against them.

And the referee was the worst we have had this season. In what has generally been a sea of dross he eclipsed his colleagues.

Genuine question: what did the ref do/not so?

Thought he was actually better than a lot i've seen in the championship.

16 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

It's great to have won in this manner, but I think we need to recognise how easily it could have been different. Bristol City had three clear chances to equalise in the first-half, and even in their awful second-half performance, they had a glaring opportunity to do the same. We are (whether we like it or not) fortunate that it didn't happen, and we went on to capitalise to make it 2-0.

I've no doubt that Mowbray will be looking at one or two of those events in order to work on it, because we're far from comfortable winners of any given match. Not being negative, but the nerves I had throughout our slender lead are justified, I think!

And what about our other chances? Bently made a couple of very decent saves.  It's football teams get chances, just enjoy the win.  

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

That as well.

Isn’t it funny though, when we win there are people who enjoy baiting “the doubters” more than the results.

Yet they don’t acknowledge that we are winning because of the changes made on the field.

I wouldn’t like to see yesterday’s side as the consistent starting XI. I’d still say it was our worst this season. But for Lady Luck, which you get when you are in form, we could have been 3-1 down in the first half. But it doesn’t matter because Mowbray got it right yesterday and my fears were allayed.

So you and the lickers, sorry likers, enjoy yourselves. It’s certainly easier to take when we are winning football matches.

I genuinely hope you are still crowing and baiting come May because then it will mean something. :tu: 

Lady Luck!!? ??? Give it up mate.

You’re right in some respects. The changes have helped. Those changes were by the manager.

BUT yesterday’s team and consequent performance proved that there’s much more to winning than simply removing players who you wanted out. 

Then again, we have a manager who’s been in the game 40yrs along with a team of professionals so it makes sense that we all accept they know more than any of us.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Could’ve said the exact same thing about Sheff United. Success is about much moRe than star names. 

IF TM gets us up then the club and the fans should back him with everything we’ve got. 

He would deserve the chance, but I am not convinced about his dexterity in the transfer market. Maybe, he would need some help in that department...but I am ahead of myself!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

That as well.

Crowing and baiting?

It was just a joke. Not trying to point score. I wanted Mowbray gone 3 weeks ago. I don’t think anyone thought he could turn it around.

Watched some of the full highlights this morning. We looked so assured in possession. Can’t remember us ever looking so comfortable holding on to a lead in the last 10 mins.

Edited by magicalmortensleftpeg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Genuine question: what did the ref do/not so?

Thought he was actually better than a lot i've seen in the championship.

In that particular incident Gallagher was wiped out by one of their centre halves and the referee chose to play advantage. Ordinarily I applaud that but Brereton was on his own with four Bristol players. Once the advantage didn't accrue the referee should have gone back and given the free kick for the challenge on Gallagher and cautioned the perpetrator. He did neither. Later in the game he brought play back for Bristol in similar circumstances.

On his general display I thought he should have cautioned five Bristol players but knows if one. Lenihan was punished a few times for challenges when I felt is was two big blokes competing fairly for headers. He allowed their manager to throw a ball at one of our substitutes after he yellow carded him for an earlier infringement.

I thought it was the worst refereeing performance we have seen this season.

• Like 3

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Crowing and baiting?

It was just a joke. Not trying to point score. I wanted Mowbray gone 3 weeks ago. I don’t think anyone thought he could turn it around.

Watched some of the full highlights this morning. We looked so assured in possession. Can’t remember us ever looking so comfortable holding on to a lead in the last 10 mins.

My thoughts exactly! Usually its stream off tv off radio off phone off BRFCS off (which isn't a bad thing sometimes !) with us going into the final minutes of a game in the lead! But yesterday no fears whatsoever..very composed and assured.

Bristol did have chances but so did we and you d expect the home side to have their moments...but we weathered the storm and picked them off ..great performance and now another headache (albeit a good one !) for TM come the Wigan game.

17 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I was questioning Mowbray a few weeks back, just as many were, when the signs weren't good. A few weeks on, and we are in a different place. I don't mind having egg on my face about that, and people perhaps should make the point at reminding us how little we actually know about football. What's the harm in that when it's true?

Having some humility, accepting that things turned out way-different to be expected, and expecting people to make fun of you when you get it wrong... That is how it works. You're the only one who seems to take it personally. Don't waste your time doing so! ?

Well said 

The doubters ,as stuart calls them, would be the first ones to stick it to those with a more optimist view if things were going badly.  It works both ways! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

At the risk of upsetting any purists a couple of incidents pleased me yesterday and allayed some fears for me personally. The first was when Gallagher was assaulted by the Bristol player and a couple of were confrontational to him as he was on the ground. Several Rovers players sprinted over and stood up for their teammate. The other was at half time when there was clearly an incident in the tunnel. Again several players sprinted down the tunnel to support whoever was involved.

When I hear the words 'team spirit' that type of incident encompasses it.

Good to see that our artists are soldiers too.

I have worried that we are a bit of a soft touch, but it was so good to read the LT saying we have become horrible to play against.

30 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Lady Luck!!? ??? Give it up mate.

You’re right in some respects. The changes have helped. Those changes were by the manager.

BUT yesterday’s team and consequent performance proved that there’s much more to winning than simply removing players who you wanted out. 

Then again, we have a manager who’s been in the game 40yrs along with a team of professionals so it makes sense that we all accept they know more than any of us.

Not many teams win things without a bit of luck at the right time. I always had Mowbray down as an unlucky manager, maybe things have changed.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

He would deserve the chance, but I am not convinced about his dexterity in the transfer market. Maybe, he would need some help in that department...but I am ahead of myself!

How many flops has Mowbray actually signed?

Caddis 

Gladwin

Maybe Bell up until he rolled his sleeves up and played a blinder yesterday.

Chapman I really dunno about, he was class when here first time around but God knows what's going on with him now.

I get people will say Brereton but until he plays regularly as a striker it's unfair.

Apart from that he hasn't done too bad has he?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I take it you're ignoring my original match review, then.

Yes cos I don't remember it.  Sorry, that just rubbed me the wrong way a little bit.  I must have liked your original though.  I did notice someone else commented and I take it you are ignoring their comments then.

Edited by USABlue

Just now, Ossydave said:

Caddis 

Gladwin

Chapman I really dunno about, he was class when here first time around but God knows what's going on with him now.

I get people will say Brereton but until he plays regularly as a striker it's unfair.

I think the best thing we could say is that the jury is out.

Caddis, Gladwin, Chapman, Brereton, Bell. The Radio Lancs commentary described Brereton, as poor, lacking in confidence with negative body language etc. Bell was very good yesterday. Have we been playing his twin brother?

Gallagher and Johnson have much more to prove, but I do remain hopeful. TM's comments about Johnson's fitness/commuting do show a management issue for me.

Grateful for another good weekend after a very encouraging performance from TM and his players. Hope it gives a boost to half-season tickets 

Meanwhile, what a horrible little toad that Lee Johnson is...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I was questioning Mowbray a few weeks back, just as many were, when the signs weren't good. A few weeks on, and we are in a different place. I don't mind having egg on my face about that, and people perhaps should make the point at reminding us how little we actually know about football. What's the harm in that when it's true?

Having some humility, accepting that things turned out way-different to be expected, and expecting people to make fun of you when you get it wrong... That is how it works. You're the only one who seems to take it personally. Don't waste your time doing so! ?

As regards, TM, I am stuffing my face with humble pie. Indeed, there was no dish that I could have wanted more.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In that particular incident Gallagher was wiped out by one of their centre halves and the referee chose to play advantage. Ordinarily I applaud that but Brereton was on his own with four Bristol players. Once the advantage didn't accrue the referee should have gone back and given the free kick for the challenge on Gallagher and cautioned the perpetrator. He did neither. Later in the game he brought play back for Bristol in similar circumstances.

On his general display I thought he should have cautioned five Bristol players but knows if one. Lenihan was punished a few times for challenges when I felt is was two big blokes competing fairly for headers. He allowed their manager to throw a ball at one of our substitutes after he yellow carded him for an earlier infringement.

Agreed.

He was clearly intimidated by the crowd and was giving nonsensical fouls against Rovers (at one point, any ball won by Lenihan was getting penalised) and allowing all kinds of subterfuge by Bristol City to go unpunished. For the foul count to be 16 each when Bristol turned into one of the dirtiest sides we have faced says it all. The yellow card for Gallagher was for a nothing tap when there were at least five yellow card challenges by Bristol City players.

It also seems everybody except the officials saw an elbow smash by Lee Johnson on a Rovers coach then threw the ball after the half time whistle yet Johnson wasn't cautioned again for either incident.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Caddis 

Gladwin

Hart - strange signing, Harper - only a loan but why was he signed ,  Whittingham - major flop, Anttonson ? - not exactly a flop but not good enough to be signed permanently. Samuel ? - not really been a success story has he. Davenport ? Nuttall ? Chapman - this time so far.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

46 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Caddis 

Gladwin

Brereton has been absolutely horrendous. He's not been playing because every time he does he looks shocking. I haven't watched the Bristol game yet, some seem to think he's done okay, so look forward to hopefully some improvement.

Anyhoo - Mowbray signings. Id say he's done okay, on a par roughly with Bowyer and significantly better than anyone else weve had since prem relegation. But still not great.

Fantastic - Dack (best signing in 10 years probably)

Good - Armstrong, Rothwell, Tosin, Gallagher (probably being a bit generous here), Smallwood, Downing, Antonsson, Jack Payne, Reed

Meh - Johnson, Nuttall, Rodwell, Palmer, Davenport

Poor - Bell, Samuel, Chapman

Shocking - Gladwin, Brereton, Caddis, Whittingham, not signing another centreback last summer.

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Fair enough - respect your (and PhilipL's) opinion. I probably missed a lot through the giddyness of watching us win and, just as importantly, battle hard. 

21 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

It's great to have won in this manner, but I think we need to recognise how easily it could have been different. Bristol City had three clear chances to equalise in the first-half, and even in their awful second-half performance, they had a glaring opportunity to do the same. We are (whether we like it or not) fortunate that it didn't happen, and we went on to capitalise to make it 2-0.

I've no doubt that Mowbray will be looking at one or two of those events in order to work on it, because we're far from comfortable winners of any given match. Not being negative, but the nerves I had throughout our slender lead are justified, I think!

It was hardly a barrage against Walton though, it seems harsh to expect the opposition to not create a single goalscoring opportunity. And they were only awful because we frustrated them and didn't let them play any better.  

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Caddis 

Gladwin

Whittingham, Hart, Samuel, Davenport and if you want to include loan players the lad from West Brom, whose name escapes me at the moment.