Sign in to follow this  
JoeH

Bristol City (A) - Bradley Dack's Christmas Break

Just now, davulsukur said:

It was a cracking strike.

I really wonder what's happened here with him. I was expecting him to be a great signing, he started well enough and then his performances went down hill.

He was dropped and was out of the team for a while. Just poor performances? Attitude? Both?

Could be just a loss of form,but maybe there was more to it. Great that he came back in and played like today though. 

Rumours in summer that we were after signing Bentley as our new goalkeeper. If Brentford saw fit to replace him with Raya, then I think we've done well to avoid him. He can keep his fancy-shmancy white boots/socks combination to himself.

Listened to the Mowbray interview on Radio lancs after the game  and he spoke about Johnson,He didn't seem happy that Johnson hadn't found a place to live up here  and was saying the travelling to and from training had been taking it's toll on his fitness.

He looked fitter today and kept possession better than he had been doing prior to him losing his place in the team.

Just now, islander200 said:

Listened to the Mowbray interview on Radio lancs after the game  and he spoke about Johnson,He didn't seem happy that Johnson hadn't found a place to live up here  and was saying the travelling to and from training had been taking it's toll on his fitness.

He looked fitter today and kept possession better than he had been doing prior to him losing his place in the team.

Just now, islander200 said:

Interesting. 

Definitely something not quite right with Johnson, didn't realise he wasn't even living in the area. Hopefully today was the start of a renaissance of sorts, although it would be harsh to drop Evans long-term considering his recent performances. Great to have genuine competition for those positions though - it's been a while.

Just now, DE. said:

Definitely something not quite right with Johnson, didn't realise he wasn't even living in the area. Hopefully today was the start of a renaissance of sorts, although it would be harsh to drop Evans long-term considering his recent performances. Great to have genuine competition for those positions though - it's been a while.

That sort of travelling is far from ideal, especially when you're getting a bit older. Anybody else think that the corner/goal was a planned move ? It looked that way to me.

37 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I've only seen Raya against us this season, but aside from a superb save against Armstrong, he look a little bit nervous to me, particularly on crosses.

They are both young keepers, and they are both held to high standards. They are both pretty good for their age when that's taken into consideration! I think both will have great careers over the next 10-15 years.

They must have a lot of spare 'keepers at Brighton. There's another one in Rochdale's first team at the moment.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That sort of travelling is far from ideal, especially when you're getting a bit older. Anybody else think that the corner/goal was a planned move ? It looked that way to me.

The gaffer came up with the routine. We worked on it in training yesterday after being shown their weaknesses at set plays.” Quote from Johnson

Just got back from the game, great result and performance from everyone.

I can’t fault anyone, but special mentions to Bell, Johnson and Nyambe. I thought Walton was also superb when called upon.

I feel bad for Brereton, I really want him to be a success but he seems so short on confidence. He was in at one point and just needed to swing a left foot at it but seemed reluctant and ended up stalling and losing it. Just needs to play with out fear. Played a cracking pass to Johnson who then had his shot saved.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Benno put a shit in " ! Where abouts on the pitch was that ?

Oops 😳

Not to try and distract away from a great win but Lee Johnson is an odious character. He had been yellow carded when he threw the ball at somebody on the Rovers bench and got away with it. He constantly harangues the fourth official and scuttles around likes child who can't get his own way when a decision goes against them.

And the referee was the worst we have had this season. In what has generally been a sea of dross he eclipsed his colleagues.

Credit to Mowbray this last week, he's effectively rotated the team to maximize points over the 3 game week. Fresh faces today made a difference.

Sponsor
3 hours ago, DE. said:

Much like most of the teams in and around our position, a lot of it comes down to a combination of confidence and luck. The only teams in the division who are above that in terms of performance are WBA and Leeds, and the table conclusively proves that. The rest of us are at the mercy of the footballing gods and praying for continued good fortune. 

Also apologies that I seem to be repeatedly quoting you, genuinely not intentional 😅

The worst thing that could happen is that TM/Venkys don't look to strengthen the squad in January because our recent form has been so good.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Credit to Mowbray this last week, he's effectively rotated the team to maximize points over the 3 game week. Fresh faces today made a difference.

Yes I'm sure you're right. He made some brave decisions today. I'm not Benno's biggest fan but I take my hat off to a guy who'll play where ever he's asked to play. Right back and then left wing is a big ask if you aren't massively gifted. Paul Warhurst could have done it but he was a gifted player.  I can't think of many others.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

An excellent win. Full credit to the manager who got tactics and selection and preparation spot on. He got a lot of stick a month ago, from myself included, but since then has revitalised the team. Well done the players too. Hard to pick the team for Wigan now. Johnson looked a colossus today.

Think we all deserve a drink after that week - chuffed to the heavens! Cracking performance, life after Dack might not be half bad... whenever that time comes.  Well oiled machine out there, massive credit to Nyambe (Rovers academy), Travis (Rovers academy) and Lenihan (Rovers Academy) for today... shit hot!

Thoughts from the Gaffa, the fans and more.

I still think that Boris was being punished for being out on the night of the Tom Lawrence / Keogh incident.

He bossed his first few games here then was out of favour, think maybe his lifestyle may hold him back slightly.

What a strike that was though.

Loved the move today when Nyambe absolutely blitzed down the wing, cut it back to Travis who then slid it in to Holtby on the overlap (we won’t mention the cross shot), some great movement in recent weeks off the ball

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I really wonder what's happened here with him. I was expecting him to be a great signing, he started well enough and then his performances went down hill.

He was dropped and was out of the team for a while. Just poor performances? Attitude? Both?

I'm going to sound a bit like David Icke here, but his downturn started against our home defeat to Luton. Right after the Derby drink-driving incident when there were rumours of Johnson being present there.

8 hours ago, bazza said:

The whingeing when the team was announced was unreal. Still, what do we fans know, hey? I had us down for a 2-0 defeat.

Great result.

I also predicted a 0-2 result pal, something big occurred today in relation to our season as a whole. I’d love to see a 90 minute recording of the game. 

8 hours ago, LDRover said:

Held back from commenting after the team selection but safe to say I wasn't particularly thrilled with it. However, that is a great result and really opens up the league for us now. Can't believe I'm typing this as these players looked 'gone' a few weeks ago, but I think we look as strong as any team in this league right now. 

There's absolutely no reason why we can't realistically think top 6 now and, for that, huge credit has to go to Mowbray - for the change in mindset as much as anything.

Having watched West Brom struggle against big clubs bullying initially today I’d suggest we can beat anyone in the division. That includes Leeds who we will smash again at home. 

7 hours ago, Alejandro Tapia said:

Well fucking done my Rovers!!! I'm still on moon cause we defeated a cery good team amd after a very tight match speacially first half...bristol did a good game but they we were better i know that in this group there are some moaners that would be talkig crap like "we did a horrible match but we were lucky or we doesen't deserve to win" or crqp like thst why? Well cause they doesen't really love this colors...if youbate a true supporter it doesen't matter where you come from it matters to support even on bad times...you could be desagree with a lot of things the gaffer the tsctics the way we are playing the players seleccion etc... but what a true supporter never does is to TALK BAD or SHET about their own colors isn't?
Letsstill celebrating but not to much pals cause we are on the most difficult part of the table...to survive in this possition is the task this campaign i guess and I'm sure we will...
So surprised about or development i have to say that when i saw Tony idea i was a little nervous but what a way to shut our mouths isn't? I knew  Johnson would be vital in this match because of his sacrifice and vecaise is the natural palyer that we have to do the dirty job and to try to retail ball but he did much more than that he scored and he was one of the best players today!
Come On You Rovers! We are showig what we are capable to do this season and if we stil playing like that who knows what could happens? Whoever to me showig this level I'm more than glad this is just our second year into this tier again so I'm not hurry inwamt my team stil building the correct background and infrastructure to put my team on 1st toer and stay ther much more than just one season!
#ImRoversTillIDie 
#COYBBR
#TheMexicanRover

Great post pal, great to hear from overseas fans who’s posts I would rather read than some in this country who probably have never been to Ewood. Don’t take any criticism to heart. 

Oh yeah,

Ay Caramba......I think

5 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I've seen a tendency in him to play for himself rather than the team in central midfield, I.E he's tackling, shooting, passing and dribbling but without much thought or positional sense for such an important position. He was toned down today and had plenty of defensive support in midfield from Travis, Bennett and Holtby, and looked much better. 

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Absolutely. Not quite Liverpool v Barca but good enough!