BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (A) - Bradley Dack's Christmas Break

15 hours ago, benhben said:

Amazing result. We would have all been well happy if you offered 4 points from Swans and Bristol away. 3rd in the form table. 

A good January and who knows. 

Credit to Lenihan this run started as soon as he came back from injury. 

We turned the corner when Lenihan was made captain and Bennett was dropped, and subsequently kept away from the right back role.

An excellent days work and result to build on the solid point at Swansea and put us into a good position heading into the hectic Xmas period. I hope we use the next week to recover, refresh and get ready to hit the 4 games with confidence. Without wanting to get carried away the way we have been playing recently gives me confidence against anyone, and having done such a good job yesterday at nullifying Bristol none of these games fill me with trepidation. If we can maintain our efforts of recent weeks there are plenty of points to be won. 

What we don't want is complacency. Wigan first up will be coming to battle and Cook will have them cheating and using all sorts of tricks to try and stop their losing run away from home. We will be expected to win the game and these tend to be the ones we struggle in.

Yes Bristol had a few decent chances, particularly in the first half, but not many sides will go there and keep a clean sheet. We restricted them to one attempt on target. I expected a long, painful second half with us clinging on to our lead and eventually conceding, but I was very impressed with how we managed to neuter Bristol to ensure they had very little by way of attempts and couldn't get any momentum going.

All the more pleasing given it was done with several players we would consider to be 'second string' e.g. Johnson, Holtby, Brereton and Gallagher - people who haven't been starting games during this good run whilst the big players in that good run - Dack, Graham, Evans, Armstrong - missing or rested. 

Table is still too tight to draw any conclusions from at this stage - a couple of wins and it could be 3rd or a bad week and bottom half. Just about continuing to pick up wins and get through to February in the right area.

Even more sweet to see Lee 'Poison Dwarf' Johnson losing his rag, you know we've done a job on him and his team when the cocky facade slips and the nasty side shines through. 

Whatever has changed behind the scenes long may it continue. Mowbray has stopped a slide and turned the season around in the space of a month. Probably where his experience comes in as a younger manager might have crumbled when it wasn't working. 

• Like 3

I’d go back to the lads who’ve been winning every week for us. Gallagher, Holtby and now Johnson are hammering down the door. Which keeps Graham, Evans and Travis on their toes. Player most at risk is Rothwell. He blows hot and cold but I think he’s done enough to hold off Holtby for now.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 2

He's not totally ditched the new style they are just applying it a bit more forcefully as far as i can see.  They've upped the pace a bit and the ante and press a bit more.  Maybe it's down to the squad finally getting to grips with it but there's certainly been a marked change sine he went back to basics formation wise before yesterday.

That is the way it has to be week in week out in this league if you want to get anywhere, not many sides football their way to the top you have to mix it up and get stuck in.  Although it's demanding and hard to play that way back to back you can't keep switching off either and just showing up every 4 or 5 games.  There's a decent sized squad there now and a couple of sensible additions would do no harm in Jan to keep it up.

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I thought it was when Rothwell got picked...?

That as well.

Isn’t it funny though, when we win there are people who enjoy baiting “the doubters” more than the results.

Yet they don’t acknowledge that we are winning because of the changes made on the field.

I wouldn’t like to see yesterday’s side as the consistent starting XI. I’d still say it was our worst this season. But for Lady Luck, which you get when you are in form, we could have been 3-1 down in the first half. But it doesn’t matter because Mowbray got it right yesterday and my fears were allayed.

So you and the lickers, sorry likers, enjoy yourselves. It’s certainly easier to take when we are winning football matches.

I genuinely hope you are still crowing and baiting come May because then it will mean something. :tu: 

Just now, Stuart said:

That as well.

Isn’t it funny though, when we win there are people who enjoy baiting “the doubters” more than the results.

Yet they don’t acknowledge that we are winning because of the changes made on the field.

I wouldn’t like to see yesterday’s side as the consistent starting XI. I’d still say it was our worst this season. But for Lady Luck, which you get when you are in form, we could have been 3-1 down in the first half. But it doesn’t matter because Mowbray got it right yesterday and my fears were allayed.

So you and the lickers, sorry likers, enjoy yourselves. It’s certainly easier to take when we are winning football matches.

I genuinely hope you are still crowing and baiting come May because then it will mean something. :tu: 

Oh come on, that second half was a complete performance.

12 hours ago, Butty said:

Oops ?

We don't get big gates at the rugby most of the time so normally there is only a crowd on one side of the ground at what used to be called Spotland. A few years ago one of our players was caught short and without anybody seeing him left the pitch, ducked down behind the boundary wall and had a shit. He then rejoined the game. It was noticeable that our opponents seemed to be loathe to tackle him afterwards !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philipl said:

That was a complete performance against a very good side. Bristol City are as low as they are because of an horrific run of injuries they are recovering from. Yes we were very fortunate not to concede twice but three other scoring chances they carved out were denied by superb defensive work plus an exceptional Walton save.

Notable Casey Palmer not even in their squad...

The second half in particular was a supreme performance from the team almost totally nullifying Bristol City in every aspect of the game. 

One game but that looked like a promotion outfit out there and I cannot think I have felt that way about any game in the Championship since 2001.

Walton made me feel completely comfortable about seeing him in goal for the first time this season, Bell showed there is a great left back under that laconic demeanour at long last, Johnson immense, Lenihan even immenser (not a word but it is how I feel), Bennett deployed where his strengths are best used and the lad showed he knows his limitations so didn't try what he can't do, Holtby showed today why he has those German caps, Travis energy and skill fabulous. Nyambe continues to display form which points to him.becoming a fabulous wing back.

I also think we saw a glimpse of a £12m future up front. Pairing Gallagher and Brereton worked. Gallagher was the unsung hero working all across the front line looking dangerous whenever on the ball and was veritably the first line of defense when we were out of possession.

Brereton had a few moments we all despair of but he also did many things to confound the view he isn't a footballer.

Two final points. 

1) A poster rightly observed Johnson raised his arms in celebration before Armstrong had scored. He raised his arms in celebration after looking at the linesman having seen he had played the ball before Arma could go offside!

2) What do you do with Dack Downing Evans Rothwell and Graham? That eleven yesterday deserve another start.

For the Armstrong goal their right back was fast asleep, yards back down the pitch, playing Armstong on side by a good ammount.

3 hours ago, Yonder12 said:

Maybe set up a crowd funding page to get him over for a game. Just a thought.

I'd be up for that. Count me in for a contribution. Un poco dinero por my neuevo companero. Es correcto no ? I can't do the upside down question mark that should start the sentence.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

At the risk of upsetting any purists a couple of incidents pleased me yesterday and allayed some fears for me personally. The first was when Gallagher was assaulted by the Bristol player and a couple of were confrontational to him as he was on the ground. Several Rovers players sprinted over and stood up for their teammate. The other was at half time when there was clearly an incident in the tunnel. Again several players sprinted down the tunnel to support whoever was involved.

When I hear the words 'team spirit' that type of incident encompasses it.

Stuff like that actually means something. Selfies out on the beer don't. I've called us out in the past for being a soft touch, lets hope the new steely Rovers continues.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

That as well.

Ultimately the manager, who many, including myself, questioned some of his decisions, has shown that an experienced football man does indeed know what he is doing and has a long term plan which seems to be heading in the right direction.  Hopefully, a top half finish this season will provide a platform for a promotion push - although if we continue like this the play-offs may well be within reach this campaign.  Mowbray, despite my own doubts a few weeks ago, is showing that he is exactly the right man to take the team forward and has had the strength of character to come through a difficult period and still retained the full support of the players and, if anything, improved the spirit within the camp.  In adversity the manager has stood up to the pressure and the players seem to have an excellent relationship with him.  That bond between manager and players is vital for any club to make progress.   Let's just enjoy the moment Stuart.

• Like 9

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Ultimately the manager, who many, including myself, questioned some of his decisions, has shown that an experienced football man does indeed know what he is doing and has a long term plan which seems to be heading in the right direction.  Hopefully, a top half finish this season will provide a platform for a promotion push - although if we continue like this the play-offs may well be within reach this campaign.  Mowbray, despite my own doubts a few weeks ago, is showing that he is exactly the right man to take the team forward and has had the strength of character to come through a difficult period and still retained the full support of the players and, if anything, improved the spirit within the camp.  In adversity the manager has stood up to the pressure and the players seem to have an excellent relationship with him.  That bond between manager and players is vital for any club to make progress.   Let's just enjoy the moment Stuart.

If we were in the Premier league, just about the entire squad would have to be over-hauled if we were to survive and not be down by Christmas.

The cost would be enormous but, of course, so would the revenue.

My question is, would you trust TM to spend it well?

I wouldn't. That's the brutal truth.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Exactly my point but it’s noted, once again, that it’s only me that you say that to...

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Like you I was cheesed off with our lack of progress under the current manager. The recent upturn in results has been brilliant, I said a week ago that I welcomed the change in our fortunes but I would see how we went on in the two upcoming away games before I started to put out the flags. Well we did great, If we can keep that form going we should be in with a shout of the play offs. I wonder if Johnno has had an impact in this ?

Just now, 47er said:

If we were in the Premier league, just about the entire squad would have to be over-hauled if we were to survive and not be down by Christmas.

Mm, I get what you're saying. Let's see if we can get there first.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I’d go back to the lads who’ve been winning every week for us. Gallagher, Holtby and now Johnson are hammering down the door. Which keeps Graham, Evans and Travis on their toes. Player most at risk is Rothwell. He blows hot and cold but I think he’s done enough to hold off Holtby for now.

Maybe we'll end up with a sort of home team and an away team ? More attacking at home and less attacking away. More possession based at home and more direct away.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, I get what you're saying. Let's see if we can get there first.

Very true. Easy to get carried away by the current run which could end any game.

However, I have maintained for a long time that TM is not the man to take us forward, his faults would be magnified a hundred times. He could not compete with the level of management in the Premier League now. Even Dyche!:(

1 minute ago, 47er said:

If TM got us to the Premier League in the next couple of years then he would fully deserve the opportunity to build a team for that level.  He has another two seasons on his contract to achieve that.  I would agree that the likes of Brereton and Chapman have been very disappointing signings but I still believe he should be given money in January and next summer to continue the building of the squad.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

I'd say 5 signings and we'd be able to compete, and that would be doable with the cash injection. Theres no massive gulf between the championship and bottom half of the premiership I don't think, I've seen some really poor teams this season.

We are however still walking an injury tightrope this season massively. Both centre halves have previous for picking up injuries and if either, or God forbid both got injured we'd have big problems again. Every other position I think we can cope to be fair.

• Like 1