BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Player of the Decade?

Make no mistake, it's not been the best decade for Rovers.

In the 90s there'd have obviously been plenty of candidates for this.

2000s likewise - Friedel and Tugay both had pretty much the whole decade with us, while we had good, solid PL players like Nelsen, Emerton, Pedersen, Dunn etc with us for years. 

Bit trickier between 2010 and now. Dunn was with us for half of it but probably also spent half that time unavailable, Rhodes was here for three and half years and more than did his bit. Conway will go down as a decent player for us, Hanley was a decent regular for years but meh....I guess Dack's had an excellent couple of years so far......what are we saying?

Obviously you mean best player and that's difficult. If you're picking one synonymous with the last decade though (and what it stood for) that would be Lowe for me. Note that the last 2 seasons are only ones that were not failures and it's after he left.

Edited by Vinjay
  • Like 2

This is very difficult there really isn't an outstanding candidate at all, so many players and managers going through the revolving door.

Rhodes does spring to mind as despite his obvious limitations he did exactly what it said on the tin and was a good all round bloke. Conway was another you couldn't help but like and always tried his best. 

I certainly wouldn't pitch the likes of Hanley in there his off field antics let him and the side down. Yes he was wholehearted but that's just the type he is, far too inconsistent here until he sniffed a move.

I've never been a massive fan but if Evans had shown more of the form he's shown in the last 18 months in patches then he'd be in with a shout. Mostly because he's long serving and almost first name on team shit when he's fit whoever the boss, another strange Venky era phenomena !!

Obviously the best of this decade are way back in the later Prem days before Kean ruined it but many didn't cover themselves in glory the way they left.

The fact we're nominating Corry Evan's for this just because he's been here the longest shows what a horrible decade it has been. You can count on two hands the amount of good games he has had during his time here, and half of those have been in the past two weeks.

For me, I'm going to say Bradley Dack. He grabbed the club by the scruff of the neck a couple of years ago (along with supporting roles from one or two others) when somebody needed to and we were languishing in the third tier, remember he didn't become a regular starter until October that year, and our form improved dramatically when he became the main man.

He has also continued that form at a higher level for 18 months now, a really good footballer and one we should enjoy while we can.

Other nominations should be - 

Jordan Rhodes, 85 goals in three and a half years is some going considering he had 7 managerial changes to contend with in that time.

David Dunn, two big goals against the dingles put him here automatically, but he was still a very good player for us for the first few years of the decade.

Craig Conway, the model pro, , dependable in a few positions, always gave his best and chipped in with some important goals and assists in his 5 years here. Crucial part of our team that hit the dizzy heights of our best placed finishes of 8th & 9th since relegation.

Other names that could possibly be considered include, Ryan Nelson, Grant Hanley, Tom Cairney, Rudy Gestede, Danny Graham & Charlie Mulgrew.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

Jordan Rhodes for me. He scored a ton of goals for us in a very dark time, had an exemplary character and left under good terms. He might not have been the most gifted player technically but he definitely put a smile on my face in the time he was here, and that’s why he’s my favourite player over the last 10 years. 

Could we make this into a poll? Maybe include one for worst player of the last decade? Leon Best in case anyone’s wondering. 

Edited by The Hypnotic
  • Like 3

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

Jordan Rhodes for me. He scored a ton of goals for us in a very dark time, had an exemplary character and left under good terms. He might not have been the most gifted player technically but he definitely put a smile on my face in the time he was here, and that’s why he’s my favourite player over the last 10 years. 

Could we make this into a poll? Maybe include one for worst player of the last decade? Leon Best in case anyone’s wondering. 

That one would certainly be more keenly contested than this one. Best, Orr, Murphy, the Portugeezers, Chris Brown, Jordan Slew, Jason Lowe and the list goes on.

• Like 2

David Dunn's goals against Burnley where outstanding especially when the lad is local known well in both towns. 

Jordan Rhodes brought back memories of a great former striker, and the plea to Venkys ".....don't sell the Rhodes, super Jordan Rhodes, just don't think you understand…." comes to mind. 

Danny Graham not only for his goals but his awareness/contact with lifting fans during game.

Charlie Mulgrew for his freekicks hitting back of net plus his winner at Doncaster. 

Difficult one. If Graham comes on and scores the winner today can I edit this?

May nomination is ...…… David Dunn.

Actually Danny Graham is a very good call i kind of forgot him with trying to think back for something stand out. Similar to Rhodes he's been a reliable scorer, does his job with no fuss, keeps his head down and is popular with fans and seems to genuinely like it here.

Stayed around to help haul us back up at the first time of asking as well so yes he gets the vote from me now, no brainer.

Likes of Nelson more than did their bit but as i said earlier way they left soured it although not their fault really, plus it was a long time ago. Hanley, no, a big no from me he couldn't wait to be on his toes and has never given us a sideways glance sine. Let the side down on and off the park as well at times.

Graham has been here a while now so he's the one.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Personally it has to be either Rhodes or Mulgrew.

Rhodes for the obvious reasons.

Mulgrew because I think he was more important to us in L1 than people really recognise. His international quality at the back kept us calm, his goals were immeasurably important and most importantly: he could've abandoned us when we got relegated but didn't. Same goes for Graham. That kind of loyalty in dark times can't be bought.

It's surely between Rhodes and Dack (with honourable mentions for the likes of Conway, Gestede, Mulgrew briefly).

Has to be Dack for me, as he has a similarly impressive goals record but is an all-round better player. I don't think he has quite the same talent around him as Rhodes did either, with Cairney, Gestede, and a peak Conway. Just been him and Graham mostly.

So so tough

1. Bradley Dack
2. Jordan Rhodes
3. Craig Conway

Conway was for two seasons one of the best wingers in this division, helped get us promoted from League One, and was genuinely great. But you can’t fault Dack or Rhodes for their personal contributions. It has to be one of the two.

I think Darragh Lenihan and Corry Evans would make up my Top 5 there. One a long time servant, and the other a key defender in a position we’ve consistently struggled in, who came through our academy system and still remains with us going into 2020.