SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Player of the Decade?

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

So so tough

1. Bradley Dack
2. Jordan Rhodes
3. Craig Conway

Conway was for two seasons one of the best wingers in this division, helped get us promoted from League One, and was genuinely great. But you can’t fault Dack or Rhodes for their personal contributions. It has to be one of the two.

I think Darragh Lenihan and Corry Evans would make up my Top 5 there. One a long time servant, and the other a key defender in a position we’ve consistently struggled in, who came through our academy system and still remains with us going into 2020. 

Lenihan is a good shout. He’s turned into a good no-nonsense centre back and he’s (sort of) one of our own.

12 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Dack for me. Hard to argue with Jordans stats but I just never really enjoyed watching him.

Reckon if the club officially did it it would hands down be Elliot Bennett!

So you never really enjoyed watching him score all those goals,really?

• Like 1

Not much to choose between a few of the names mentioned, but I'd go for Rhodes because of his character and how important he was in our darkest period. That team of 2012/13 must have been the most dislikeable in our recent history with the odd exception like Dunn & MGP. Having our one shining light being so humble and genuinely pleased to be at Blackburn Rovers really was like night and day with the likes of Murphy, Etuhu, Best and other hangers on who I've done my best to forget. 

His goal record throughout his time here was obviously exceptional, but for that first year his finishing was genuinely as good as anyone in the country. Absolutely flying, half a sniff and you were basically certain it was in the back of the net. Started missing a few as time went on, lost a bit of his edge, but for a spell it really felt as though he was the bit left of our club that was still big time. 

Says something about him that I was genuinely made up that he scored a hat-trick for another time at the weekend. Hard to think of any other former player that I would react like that to. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 6

On 13/12/2019 at 23:47, tomphil said:

I've never been a massive fan but if Evans had shown more of the form he's shown in the last 18 months in patches then he'd be in with a shout. Mostly because he's long serving and almost first name on team shit when he's fit whoever the boss, another strange Venky era phenomena !!

Saying something if he is almost first name in team shit! 

Will he ever make it to team average or team 'not too bad' ?

• Like 2

Player(s) of the decade for me have been the people behind the scenes at Ewood who stayed with the club and have done their best to keep a semblance of normality during Venky’s reign. They have done a lot more for the club than anyone on the pitch.

I suspect the only player we will be talking about in 40-years time a la the Jim Smith thread will be Dack, and only in the same terms as Andy Crawford.

Although personally, I’ll be delighted to be talking about anyone in 40-years time.

• Like 5

This topic is so difficult because Garner '80s,  Shearer '90s, Tugay '00s are so obvious. 

Players like Douglas and Faz straddled two decades.

Rhodes first half of this decade and Dack second half would be my choice but both fall below numerous players from previous decades.

• Like 1

To be player of the decade, they need to have played for more than a couple of seasons. Dack's on 2.5 so not enough for me. That rules out so many players, especially the remainder of the Premier League squad. Realistically, that leaves Rhodes or Graham as long-serving quality players who massively affected our overall fortunes. I'll go with Rhodes although I really respect Graham for his contributions and the way he has gracefully handled his easing out of the team on a number of occasions.

On a side note, I had hoped to find inspiration in players of the season winners and was shocked to see that Tugay only won it once, Shearer twice whilst Hendry won three times across 10 years. Some of the names to have beaten them are mind-blowing and a reminder of how much of a team game it really is.

Edited by Riverside under the drip
  • Like 1

Just now, Riverside under the drip said:

To be player of the decade, they need to have played for more than a couple of seasons. Dack's on 2.5 so not enough for me. That rules out so many players, especially the remainder of the Premier League squad. Realistically, that leaves Rhodes or Graham as long-serving quality players who massively affected our overall fortunes. I'll go with Rhodes although I really respect Graham for his contributions and the way he has gracefully handled his easing out of the team on a number of occasions.

On a side note, I had hoped to find inspiration in players of the season winners and was shocked to see that Tugay only won it once, Shearer twice whilst Hendry won three times across 10 years. Some of the names to have beaten them are mind-blowing and a reminder of how much of a team game it really is.

I completely forgot that John Filan won it! What a horrendous fall from grace that was.

Some other interesting ones from my era, amazed that Benni didn't win it in place of Bentley. Don't know if that says more about Benni's periodic drop off in form or that Bentley was just brilliant (probably a bit of both).

Also put Marcus Olsson winning to the back of my mind! Just goes to show how difficult picking a player from this decade is when players like him have won it.