BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (H) - Monday Night Football (urgh..)

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Shame we can’t get into the top 6 tomorrow but we’d only be outside on goal difference with a win so it would be another point closer. 
The teams above us aren’t going to drop many points. It will be a battle from here until May.

We can if we win by 15 goals or more! Come on Rovers, let's go for it! ?

2 hours ago, philipl said:

One positive of the fans not having a clue what the side will be tomorrow night. Nigh on impossible for Cook to plan the Latics response..

That's been a philosophy of Mowbrays since he's been here and it's often led to the baffling and beffudlement of his own players and fans.  Something the opposition have seized on a few times, when it's worked like last week it's seemed more like stuck clock syndrome.

I'll be more than happy if he's more or less moved away from that ideology and gone back to something a bit more standard as the first option.  The best strongest first 11 that compliment each other and have been getting results let the opposition worry about what they know is coming at them.

2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Assuming we aren't going to win 14-0, we'll end up between 7th-10th after tomorrow's match. Obviously a defeat or even a draw would be disappointing to say the least, but I would have certainly been happy with that position at Christmas time before the season kicked off.

Indeed. Of the 9 teams above us, only 3 won last time out. That’s gotta be encouraging?

A decent Christmas and we stay in the mix with a real opportunity to go for it in January. A test of Mowbray's willingness to progress and get us in the playoffs. Could be shit or bust time for him, if we don't make adequate moves (backline the priority) then I fear a similar February and March as last season.

Edited by Traviscon
  • Like 2

On 21/12/2019 at 02:05, Ossydave said:

Dack will 100% start and I'm almost certain he's gonna score too, he'll be chomping at the bit after sitting out last week.

A whole heap of expectation, an inflated crowd hopefully with the prices and many folk probably already off work and school. This is THE biggest test to date this season to see if we've turned a corner and can handle the pressure of being favourites and rolling a team over that we really should do on paper.

I'm looking forward to it but still in the back of my mind there's that horrible feeling it's a 'typical rovers' type game that anyone who's supported us for many years no doubt has! Let's banish those thoughts for good and put Wigan well and truly to the sword.

COYB 

Has that inevitable feeling does it not.

Well, it's not like we are Anthony Joshua, so stepping in the ring with the Pie Eaters shouldn't be a worry, as long as we do a full professional job on the game. As with all games in this division, complacency and arrogance will bite you in the arse, so none of that please, Rovers!

My prediction has to be that we will conspire to choke, once again, demonstrating that recent form is no guarantee of success for any club in this shithole of a division.

On the positive side, at least we seem to have moved 180 degrees away from where we were towards the middle of November, when Mowbray was one game from getting the boot, and the boo-boys (including me) were clamouring for his removal. For the time being at least, Ewood Park seems to be a happier and more optimistic place - and long may that continue!

C'mon you Blues! (the away kit is still shit on toast)

Remember the Alamo!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Yes, but also a warning not to take wins against Wigan, Brum or Hudds for granted. 

I think the Brum game will be tough. They’ll have had a few more days off, so will be fresher. When I think about it, I’m quite annoyed about how we’ve been shifted to Monday. 

Edited by scotchrover

17 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Assuming we aren't going to win 14-0, we'll end up between 7th-10th after tomorrow's match. Obviously a defeat or even a draw would be disappointing to say the least, but I would have certainly been happy with that position at Christmas time before the season kicked off.

If we win we go 7th no? Given that Sheffield Wednesday should be getting deducted about 100 points for what they did I'm going to consider us in the play off places...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

If we win we go 7th no? Given that Sheffield Wednesday should be getting deducted about 100 points for what they did I'm going to consider us in the play off places...

Hopefully they will be given a points deduction for it, but it isn't a formality. I still can't believe what happened with Bolton and how they effectively got away with postponing a fixtures, as they knew they would lose it. 

Just now, lraC said:

Hopefully they will be given a points deduction for it, but it isn't a formality. I still can't believe what happened with Bolton and how they effectively got away with postponing a fixtures, as they knew they would lose it. 

sorry I can't see them enforcing it on a 'big club'. I think at most a hefty fine like Leeds got last season for the play-on debarcle