BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (H) - Monday Night Football (urgh..)

6 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Just got in will post a report on the game in the morning.

Thought I’d have a gander on There forum, wish I hadn’t...

Gloating about Dack and the amount liking the guys post. Vile.

What have those bottom-dwellers got against Dack?

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Wigan came to fight and bully us, as they are entitled to do in their position, and we were lacking enough soldiers on the field. None of the front six seemed prepared to mix it, maybe with the exception of Travis.  At the end of the day, the two goalies were the best players on the pitch. 

Dead right, too many nice lads and only Travis with any needle to his game. They knew that and that's why they tried to wind him up.

• Like 2

Just now, Amo said:

No idea but I’ve just seen rich sharpes tweets and other Wigan comments below, its seemingly more than the odd knobhead. I’m assuming because a player of his ability wouldn’t even know where Wigan was on a map let alone ever play for them. I used to have a lot of time for them especially as allot of my family are from that way so this is quite shocking to me. Some of these are grown men too which makes it all the more weird.

346FD8CE-2283-481A-A89D-76CF3C76B786.png

08F00634-00B4-41E5-B097-08A0D6F72F8A.png

DBF5BE80-0072-4F37-ADBA-75BA31BCB8D9.png

EC125CF7-FE09-4D12-9B5A-0A0C577C50FE.png

• Like 1

Disappointing night, but let’s not blow it out of proportion. They came and did a job. That Morsy is an horrible bastard, but they battled hard. We need a bit more of that sometimes.

Both our centre backs and both our wingers were particularly bad tonight. No surprise that Adarabioyo was a massive miss. If there’s any money available get it spent on a centre half for goodness sake.

The uncontested drop ball rule is rubbish, and that incident highlighted just how poor a grip the ref had on the game throughout. Not strong enough.

Walton’s best performance for us was nice to see. Get well soon Dack.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I must have seen a worse first half but I can't remember one. We were out enthused again. They wanted it more, ran harder, ran further, won most of the second balls. bullied us when they needed to. We had a good five minutes, after that it was a disjointed shambles with our manager stood there like a bloke waiting for the last bus home.

Second half was a slight improvement but nowhere near good enough to win the game. Walking football won't beat running football ever. Too many players were talking the ball stood still, not enough movement, not enough balls played into a space for players to run on to etc etc. Totally underwhelming performance.We got murdered in midfield, the two " wingers " never got in the game and playing both of Travis and Evans in midfield at home against the bottom of the league club tells you all you need to know. No link between attack and defence. Made to look 2nd best for large parts of the game by the bottom club at home - again.

Walton 8 Good save at the death bit allowed himself to be knocked over near the end. I'm not convinced.

Nyambe 6 Defended ok but no end product going forward.

Lenihan 7  Our best defender.

Williams 5 Is this guy colour blind ?

Downing 6 Not his best game but got no help from those around him.

Armstrong 5 Hardly in the game.

Travis 7 Worked hard but doesn't get forward enough.

Evans 5 Normal service resumed.

Rothwell 5 Did next to nothing

Dack 5 Same as Rothwell.

Graham 6 Came closest to scoring

Subs Johnson 5 Hardly in it. Holtby 7 Made a difference when he came on. Gallagher 5 Hardly in it.

Lenihan 7???

His distribution was shitter than Yodel.

• Like 4

Williams has always had the passing ability of Lowe so it was no surprise but after Tosins composure it seemed worse. I thought tonight after about 15 mins 442 with a decent winger or two would have suited us better against them.  Something a bit more solid looking as they exploited the little pockets of space which pushed us back but we had nothing wide as outlets.

Not the result or the performance we wanted but we did get a point and clean sheet. 

Walton was our best player today. Did his job today. 

Best outfield player I would go with Lenihan and Rothwell. 

Feel for Dack. nasty injury. 

Can we still make the playoffs? of course we can. 2 points of top 6 at this stage we would be happy with 8 games ago. 

Just now, Amo said:

I remember they had a bit of beef with him because there were a lot of "who's the better player" comments and polls on twitter etc. between Dack and Nick Powell. Particularly when we were both in league one.

They would never have it that Dack was better.

As its transpired, Dack has come out well on top in that battle.

Other than that, just petty rivalry is the only other thing I can think of.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree on Lenihan, dismal on the ball, constantly gave it away.

Rothwell was ineffectual again, 9 starts, 11 sub appearances, 0 goals. The only thing he did of note was when he overran the ball in the end but the attack continued in spite of his decision making. Hes got ability but he cannot impact on games and has failed to take his chance.

There were far worse players than him out there tonight. Agreed, he didn't have a great game but he showed some desire 2nd half and made some good runs (dodging some ridiculously poor challenges along the way).

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Can't believe that performance after our recent run.

Firstly, difficult to understand the number of unenforced changes Mowbray made.  When you are winning and have momentum and confidence, you should stick, wherever possible, with your winning formulae.

Strangely, Wigan looked hungrier and and also quicker about the park.

I think both manager and players bottled it.  Glorious opportunity to close the gap at the top missed.

Dack's injury doesn't look good.  In most instances with a serious knee injury (cruciate ligament etc), and speaking from personal experience, you get instant pain and Dack was clearly suffering.

Obviously, Dack will be a miss for such a long stretch but we did go to Bristol and turn in a real performance without him!

The Brum match will tell us a lot more about our manager and players.

well would you said that after the Bristol City game when 6 changes were made and we won 2 nil. 

You are far too over confidence at times for my likely Mercer. Sorry to say that. 

your 5-1 prediction was too much

On 22/12/2019 at 12:38, Sparks Rover said:

How have you got Bennett in our best eleven.? Some people never learn 

When will you learn!

You can't play a derby with snowflakes!!

Pick a team taking into account your opposition!

Edited by Doug

11 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

that why i find armstrong and to a lesser extent rothwell so frustrating,both of them drift inside,end up nowhere and don`t find space,just tell them your job consists of two things,supporting your full back and finding space out wide

Thats the way we played tho. Our full backs provide the width 

• Like 1

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

does anyone in the north west see wigan as a rival???they seem to be so bitter that no one takes them seriously they have to invent one

We had this conversation in the pub. Not one considered it a derby. 

Burnley and Preston for us.

Theyre a different county and closer to Bolton!

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

surely the end of any play off hope.

why? We have a squad and now someone has to stand up and replace him. We have different options how to play now. Could be positive

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Williams is not good enough, made one decent block but dreadful on the ball, Lenihan looked a different player without Adarabioyo.

Very harsh on Williams who 1st game it is for while. Bound to rusty and probably only played due to Adarabioyo being out injured. Yes we missed defensively but also missed his passing. 

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

but we certainly need to sign an attacker now.

no. We cant keep signing players after players. ,Mowbray has already said we need to get rid of few in January to stop the squad being overloaded with players. said this last Friday to the press. 

We have enough wide and up front. Lets used the squad

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe has constantly had a problem in terms of being fronted up by a defender. His crossing ability is almost non existent and he is a bit of a one trick pony in terms of unless he can touch it round his defender and sprint he struggles to beat a man.

To be fair, it's not really his job to attack the left back.  He had no outlet wide all night tonight.  Absolute joke Armstrong tonight, all over the place but never in the right place.  His heels should have been on the line tonight outside nyambe.  He's a selfish player who thinks he can just run past everyone score and forget about his responsibility  

• Like 5

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

To be fair, it's not really his job to attack the left back.  He had no outlet wide all night tonight.  Absolute joke Armstrong tonight, all over the place but never in the right place.  His heels should have been on the line tonight outside nyambe.  He's a selfish player who thinks he can just run past everyone score and forget about his responsibility  

Nail on head.