BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (H) - Monday Night Football (urgh..)

Just now, Paul Mani said:

100% 

BUT, for those suggesting Bell goes in for Downing...WTF!!? Bell has been absolutely dog sh*t for two years, has one decent game and now people are picking him ahead of our player of the season so far? ?

Holtby, Gallagher and Johnson are the only ones with even a chance of breaking into the first XI for me. 

Bell had an average game. It just seemed decent in comparison to his previous performances. Tony, pick the best team available, for each game.  

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Bell had an average game. It just seemed decent in comparison to his previous performances. Tony, pick the best team available, for each game.  

Average? Decent? Much of a muchness really... 

Anyone who’s been going to the last 6 or so games will know that Downing has been a good, solid fullback and very good attacking outlet because he rarely misplaces the ball and generally plays forward.

I cannot, will not believe that Bell plays in front of Downing at home to Wigan on Monday. 

• Like 3

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Average? Decent? Much of a muchness really... 

Anyone who’s been going to the last 6 or so games will know that Downing has been a good, solid fullback and very good attacking outlet because he rarely misplaces the ball and generally plays forward.

I cannot, will not believe that Bell plays in front of Downing at home to Wigan on Monday. 

Average is not good enough. Decent is acceptable 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The stats actually disagree with you as he got in the team of the weekend based on his rating from them. 

Correct. So probably upwards of decent as oppose to average? ??

Either way, one decent game does not give him the right to move in front of Downing who’s been class all season. 

• Like 2

I hate the fact we have such a wait for this. I also hate Wigan and Cook. Morsey is nob too. At least Powell is off warming the Stoke bench.

It would be sweet, sweet revenge if we beat them ,plunge them into the relegation zone and get Cook sacked. Remember the shite he was spouting in league 1 about Mowbray being arrogant or something like that, when he clearly was the opposite, to a fault at times. Hate that guy. I would love it if he hammered them. Alas it will probably be a battle and close enough. I would nearly favour Johnson with Travis, but I sense a potential red card there. 

It's good now that we have the option of 4-4-2. Keep them guessing. I hope Dack and Holtby both start,but that would probably have to be at the expense of Rothwell. Maybe Downing with them behind the striker. Armstrong and Rothwell are better off the bench imo. I doubt they would agree though. 

Did I mention I hate Wigan and specifically Cook? 

Let's hear it for the elephant's memory. Glad to hear I am not on my own!

• Like 2

I hate the fact we have such a wait for this. I also hate Wigan and Cook. Morsey is nob too. At least Powell is off warming the Stoke bench.

It would be sweet, sweet revenge if we beat them ,plunge them into the relegation zone and get Cook sacked. Remember the shite he was spouting in league 1 about Mowbray being arrogant or something like that, when he clearly was the opposite, to a fault at times. Hate that guy. I would love it if he hammered them. Alas it will probably be a battle and close enough. I would nearly favour Johnson with Travis, but I sense a potential red card there. 

It's good now that we have the option of 4-4-2. Keep them guessing. I hope Dack and Holtby both start,but that would probably have to be at the expense of Rothwell. Maybe Downing with them behind the striker. Armstrong and Rothwell are better off the bench imo. I doubt they would agree though. 

Did I mention I hate Wigan and specifically Cook? 

Me too. Hate Wigan, Cook and Morsy. 

I love Rothwell but he’s skating on thin ice at the moment in terms of hanging onto his place in the first XI. Especially with a quality player like Holtby behind him. 

• Like 6

id`e like monday night games to be outlawed,going to spoil what would have been a decent crowd if it had been saturday afternoon and i`ve never,ever seen a decent game on the dreaded night either,lets hope the lads can keep our run together and plunge the thuggish ex dingle down to the dole queue,i dislike the **** intensely

• Like 3

If history tells us anything it is that we are masters of imploding just as interest and optimism starts to rise.  On TV? a guaranteed disaster in the past.  If we get through this game with some degree of comfort I might just start to believe we have turned a corner.  Hate having to wait till Monday but at least I am off work, I think?

• Like 1

• Backroom
48 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I love Rothwell but he’s skating on thin ice at the moment in terms of hanging onto his place in the first XI. Especially with a quality player like Holtby behind him. 

Agreed, I've been a little disappointed in all honestly as I was a big advocate for giving him more game time but he hasn't really delivered in the way I was hoping. Seems like for once I was being a bit too optimistic, although at the same time both times he's come into the team regularly (the end of last season and our most recent run) our form has upturned dramatically - so maybe there's something in that. I don't know. I'd like us to persist with him as I think the talent is there, but he really needs to start producing or nobody can have any complaints about him ending up on the bench again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Banana skins don't usually come in blue and white stripes (or whatever concoction Wigan play away in) but this one does.

I haven't recovered from Charlton and Luton at home yet...

If we get to 23.00 on Monday next and have collected another three points I will be very very happy

And relieved.

Answers to all Q's are in Tony's tombola...

Did you never watch Banana in Pjyamas? They wore b;ue n white stripes

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, DE. said:

Agreed, I've been a little disappointed in all honestly as I was a big advocate for giving him more game time but he hasn't really delivered in the way I was hoping. Seems like for once I was being a bit too optimistic, although at the same time both times he's come into the team regularly (the end of last season and our most recent run) our form has upturned dramatically - so maybe there's something in that. I don't know. I'd like us to persist with him as I think the talent is there, but he really needs to start producing or nobody can have any complaints about him ending up on the bench again.

Brentford apart, he hasn't been great. However he adds pace and more attacking danger to the team. All alternatives are far slower and don't offer the same threat. I just think he gives the opposition more to be worried about. Unless we have a downturn in form then I would persevere.

I do worry a bit about Monday because under Bowyer we blew every chance we had to get in the top 6. 

Bell had an ok game and that's good but all it really means is he might be shaping up into reliable back up at last.

Left back needed for me it'll become a problem again as the season goes on.

Wigan usually a stiff test whatever the overal form

Rovers 2  Wigan  2 

Just now, Hasta said:

Brentford apart, he hasn't been great. However he adds pace and more attacking danger to the team. All alternatives are far slower and don't offer the same threat. I just think he gives the opposition more to be worried about. Unless we have a downturn in form then I would persevere.

I do worry a bit about Monday because under Bowyer we blew every chance we had to get in the top 6. 

Holtby hasn’t got Rothwell’s pace but his quality effects games much more often. Personally, I think Rothwell is better coming on for the last 20 mins if we want to counter or disrupt the flow of our opponents. He’d get one more chance for me and then I’d be looking to give Holtby a decent run. 

Downing and Holtby on the left would provide some real quality.

• Like 1

I would say with the team fully rested, and playing a poor Wigan side at home, Tony will pick

Graham over Gally

Downing over Bell

Holtby over Rothwell

Armstrong over Bennett

All the above are fair enough. Only thing that concerns me is he may decide to drop Travis and play Johnson and Evans together as they both recently had great games. That would be a big mistake as Travis is crucial for his energy.

-------------------------Walton

Nyambe----Lenihan---Tosin---Downing

-----------------Travis-------Evans

------Armstrong-----Dack-----Holtby

------------------------Graham

• Like 3

History suggests this is the game the wheels fall off. A point from the playoffs, on an excellent run, playing one of the worst teams in the league at our own ground. In theory it should be a Mercer-style 'home banker'. But all the above plus it being a local game, I find it hard to ignore the weight of history since we got relegated. It all spells nosebleed time to me.

If we do manage to win the next two games and not immediately start collapsing afterwards, I'll start to have real hope and belief that we have shaken off our historic issues and may make the playoffs. But like I say, it's hard to bring myself to predict any such thing.

My head (or perhaps some combination of head and heart) thinks this one will be a draw.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary C said:

Looking forward to this game if the team reverts back to the Brentford lineup I think we should win comfortably

It's not so much about the Brentford lineup or the Barnsley lineup or the Bristol Rovers(Edited to say City) lineup.

It's about how they come out and perform.

And that is what comes and goes a bit. We need the passion we have seen these past few games and we need it every week.

Edited by sabino

Just now, sabino said:

It's not so much about the Brentford lineup or the Barnsley lineup or the Bristol Rovers lineup.

It's about how they come out and perform.

And that is what comes and goes a bit. We need the passion we have seen these past few games and we need it every week.

Please God don't be the Bristol Rovers line up. I don't wanna see Conway,Mulgrew or Smallwood starting! 

• Like 2

What’s this ‘Oh this is where history repeats itself, under the lights?’

The majority of this team performed under the camera’s during the league 1 campaign.

Not to mention this is a new season and a completely different mentality. The past two games we would have lost, quite heavily. Looking forward to this game and can see us winning comfortably. Things are starting to click into place as well as the whole squad playing a part. 

Strengthen in Jan and who knows where we’ll end up come the end of the season.  

• Like 1