JoeH

Wigan Athletic (H) - Monday Night Football (urgh..)

We are a bit like Manchester United in that we struggle to break down teams who are set up to defend. A disappointing result but at the half way stage of the season we are in the fight for the play offs and I think back in August pretty well all of us would have taken that.

The commentator mentioned that Williams was back after missing 6 games with injury. That’ll be the 6 good games we’ve had without him near the starting 11. Need Tosin back for the Birmingham game.

8 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Downing isn't a winger at this point in his career - he's made a very useful left back at this level though.

To me, all of our front 4 today want to play through the middle - with Rothwell really wanting to play CM. Square pegs, round holes - reminds me of the Bowyer years where he bought good players, but not players for his system. 

To be fair on Downing,  he's got more pace left in his legs than Conway ever had.  Could still do a job on the wing if needed.  

Time to start putting Chapman on the bench.

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Wigan used to be in Lancashire and many of them still think they should be.  It's a bone of contention when the county lines were redrawn.. 

Wigan is still in Lancashire*. As are Liverpool and Manchester.

Unless you also believe that Backburn isn’t in Lancashire either. ;) 

*doesn’t make their fans any less scrote-like (oh the shit I was given for calling Wigan fans scrotes :rolleyes: )

7 minutes ago, Ricky said:

The commentator mentioned that Williams was back after missing 6 games with injury. That’ll be the 6 good games we’ve had without him near the starting 11. Need Tosin back for the Birmingham game.

Williams is a solid defender in an emergency but his passing is awful.  He just doesn't fit the style TM wants to play. 

Very interesting window coming up now.

Just now, Stuart said:

Wigan is still in Lancashire*. As are Liverpool and Manchester.

Unless you also believe that Backburn isn’t in Lancashire either. ;) 

*doesn’t make their fans any less scrote-like (oh the shit I was given for calling Wigan fans scrotes :rolleyes: )

A class-less, team, manager and support.  

16 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I thought Walton was really good. Some of those backpasses he dealt with were absolutely needless and terrible and his saves and decision making were 👌

His entire defence was poor. I don't know what was more ridiculous, their distribution or the fact that the somehow ragged a clean sheet. I would personally make them sit through end to end re-runs of their performances on Christmas day. They were abysmal and should be ashamed of that passing out from the back.

I agree but would extend the criticisms about poor passing to the whole team. Simple passes were often misplaced, over or under hit or the wrong weight. And that is almost the polar opposite of how well we passed it at Bristol. To offer a slight defence I thought the pitch was too dry but that is is no way excusing the overall quality which was poor.

I’ve seen a few people telling others to ‘grow up’, when there are as really no need for them, or the person they gave the instruction to, to do so. Personally, I can’t think of many things that make me cringe more tbh.

If you can’t be sound at Christmas, then it might be beyond you, eh?

Just now, arbitro said:

I agree but would extend the criticisms about poor passing to the whole team. Simple passes were often misplaced, over or under hit or the wrong weight. And that is almost the polar opposite of how well we passed it at Bristol. To offer a slight defence I thought the pitch was too dry but that is is no way excusing the overall quality which was poor.

I agree. So wasteful and needless. On the counter, we have a terrible habit of passing simple balls behind players, rather than in front of them. We kill momentum. Yet when we do the simple thing of getting the ball in front of players and work our way to the opposition's box quickly, we score some lovely goals.

On Boxing day I think we would have dropped Dack and turned the whole side over like at Bristol City any way, so we won't really see if we miss Dack till the game after that.

Question is do we go 442 or stick with 4231. I personally would go 4231. Despite the team performing brilliantly Brereton was still a passenger last game. I just can't see the point.

Also I do agree we need a bit of width on the bench. Crying out for it last night. Why not give Chapman or JRC a go?

I think we can keep the run going as long as Tosin comes back.

One thing that made me wince was a section of our own supporters chanting, "What's it like to win F### all?!"

...to the team that pipped us to the League One title and who are fairly recent FA Cup winners 🤔😂

2 hours ago, CharlesBronson said:

If we equal our first 23 games on the run in it'd be 70 points for the season. good enough for top 6?

It's unlikely as no team has gotten into the playoffs with less than 71 points since Leicester in the 2012/13 season. Blackpool also crept in on 70 points back in 09/10. 

Edited by DE.

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Williams is a solid defender in an emergency but his passing is awful.  He just doesn't fit the style TM wants to play. 

Very interesting window coming up now.

Without exaggeration on the basis Tosin and Cunningham aren’t long term solutions I think we need an entire back 5 a proper striker to replace graham and now Dack. Impossible job I feel

I watched the game live and have just now watched the extended highlights on iFollow.

Filling that time slot with shots and goalmouth action makes it look as if it was a great or at least good game to watch.

However, the highlights had been completely cleansed so no Morsy related incidents shown, or the injury to Bradley.

Sponsor
8 hours ago, Doug said:

When will you learn!

You can't play a derby with snowflakes!!

Pick a team taking into account your opposition!

I'm sure Bennett would have unlocked that Wigan defence............

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Tosin was injured 

That wasn't known when I posted my selection

Edited by Doug

Just now, Pedro said:

One thing that made me wince was a section of our own supporters chanting, "What's it like to win F### all?!"

...to the team that pipped us to the League One title and who are fairly recent FA Cup winners 🤔😂

...to the team who have literally only won that one major trophy ever.

Would have been nice to win League One but it's also just not that big a deal. Hell it was embarrassing to even be in that league.

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

A class-less, team, manager and support.  

Don’t get me started on their manager. A team built in his image.

Just now, bluebruce said:

I'm sure Bennett would have unlocked that Wigan defence............

Would he have done less than Armstrong?

Just now, Doug said:

Would he have done less than Armstrong?

I expect so, yes.

I expect so, yes.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion.

Just now, Doug said:

Fair enough, I respect your opinion.

I mean, we will never know. Not saying Bennett doesn't sometimes set up a goal, but by and large he isn't one to break through a stubborn defence.

Agree with you he's a real battler, his standout quality. Sometimes that galvanises a team enough to score.

58 minutes ago, Ricky said:

The commentator also said that we signed him from Aston Villa, and also said that since winning the league in 95 we have spent the "majority" of our time since in the second tier.

...to the team who have literally only won that one major trophy ever.

Would have been nice to win League One but it's also just not that big a deal. Hell it was embarrassing to even be in that league.

Define, "F### all" ? 😁

Them winning the FA Cup against Man City was a massive achievement. I can't stand Wigan, but credit where it is due. Their memories of winning something are far more recent than our own.