BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window Review

So as we approach the January window, I figured it was time for a look back at our summer transfer dealings. I've done it the last few seasons now, and it's been fair to say that our transfer policy up till now has been a mixed bag. Below are my thoughts on how we did this summer and am interested in the opinions of others. Please note, this is an evaluation based on our half season so far, not just our current great run, nor our 6 game winless run, but hopefully a balanced look at the 5 months. Also factored in to my thinking is cost and squad balance and needs.

Walton - 3

A poor signing as the clangers remain prevalent without the extraordinary saves of Raya to help him out. Poor distribution too. What makes  this signing worse is that Walton is only on loan, meaning that even if he does eventually develop (doubtful imo) we won't be the ones who benefit. Add in he can be recalled, albeit that is only a drawback because of the incompetence of our understudy, and the fact it's not really building forward and progressing (new keeper next year) and you really question the sense of this signing.

Tosin - 8

A few bits hit and miss but we are much more defensively solid with him in the side. Still think we needed a hard nut centre back of our own, but he's the next best thing. Quality distribution is a real plus, and is a big improvement defensively on Mulgrew and Rodwell. We don't have enough centre backs to take advantage of his versatility, and he is only on loan, but despite these minor gripes Tosin has been a great addition to the team.

Cunningham - N/A

He looked like he would be a good signing and boost the team but an injury early on means its unfair to rate him one way or another. Shame, as I suspect he would have made a big difference, but don't want to criticise or praise TM on an unknown.

Johnson - 4

Started brightly but quickly fades. Seems to be the story of his season and every time he plays (bar the last game).  A really promising start but attitude and lack of fitness have meant he's now below Evans, and I'm not sure he's much better in Bennett in that role too. Given his age means he's not a long term signing who will improve, and his overall lack of impact on the first team, this seems like a real waste of a wage. He's ok but given we had a couple of other players who can do a job as well if not better there, it doesn't seem like a step up improving the team. Funds would have been much better used supporting the defence then adding another ageing average centre mid in.

Holtby - 8

Not fully hit the ground running due to fitness issues, but then if he didn't have said issues he wouldn't be at Rovers. A quality player on the ball, and fits well into our system. Think as his fitness improves we'll see more from him and a bargain on a free. A very clever signing.

Downing - 9

A very clever signing. Not had a bad game yet, and done well in a couple of positions. He gives us balance and width on the left and a good supply of crosses for our strikers. He's also proved a reliable left back which is something we haven't had in the squad of late bar a brief dalliance with Cunningham. All in all, performing above and beyond expectations. Shame he is 35 and won't be around for that long. Had we got the rest of our transfer business right I feel that Downing would have been the final piece of the jigsaw that would push us towards promotion.

Chapman - 2

Not sure whether it's attitude or fitness but given TM has worked with him before, this can't have come as a surprise. So just a waste of a wage, which was entirely avoidable.

Gallagher - 4

Yes, there have been an improvement of late, and yes there are signs of hope. But we needed a replacement ready to take Graham's place and Gally isn't that (yet). Additionally only 3 goals isn't a great return for half a season. Not that TM helped by putting him on the wing on numerous occasions. There's  been a fair number of indifferent and poor performances up front and on the wing and given we spent most our budget on him, this really isn't the sort of return that you need. The money could have been spent better - especially on the defence and keeper position, and he hasn't performed like what we should get for a £5 million striker. That said given we own him and his age, the promising signs mean that he could develop and become a good player. The problem is that wasn't what we wanted/needed this season.

Overall imo another season of boom and bust. There are issues of the transfers we didn't do - namely a few more defenders and a back up keeper. It only took the Cunningham  injury for us to look very thin on the ground, whilst our current keeper is safe as houses regardless of how he plays as he has no competition/competent back up. The positive is that the successes have been very successful, and there haven't been any absolute expensive flops such as Whittingham and Bereton. Some may think I've been overly harsh on Gally and Johnson but I think when fees are considered and what was needed, then they haven't matched up to what is required. That said neither is the utter flop of previous expensive failures, and aren't liabilities, so perhaps that is a step in the right direction. Overall though another season of 50:50 in the transfer window from TM.

I'd probably go with a 6 for Holtby because he's not influenced the starting eleven enough yet, I'd have to say Downing should get a 10, a signing where you'd be lucky to find any fan who excited about it, but has proved everyone wrong. Walton is only a 3 when you add the context of Raya leaving, which is something out of his control, and depending on who you listen to, something that was for the most part out of the clubs control too - with Raya wanting a move away.

Great post though.

48 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

So as we approach the January window, I figured it was time for a look back at our summer transfer dealings. I've done it the last few seasons now, and it's been fair to say that our transfer policy up till now has been a mixed bag. Below are my thoughts on how we did this summer and am interested in the opinions of others. Please note, this is an evaluation based on our half season so far, not just our current great run, nor our 6 game winless run, but hopefully a balanced look at the 5 months. Also factored in to my thinking is cost and squad balance and needs.

Walton - 3

A poor signing as the clangers remain prevalent without the extraordinary saves of Raya to help him out. Poor distribution too. What makes  this signing worse is that Walton is only on loan, meaning that even if he does eventually develop (doubtful imo) we won't be the ones who benefit. Add in he can be recalled, albeit that is only a drawback because of the incompetence of our understudy, and the fact it's not really building forward and progressing (new keeper next year) and you really question the sense of this signing.

Tosin - 8

A few bits hit and miss but we are much more defensively solid with him in the side. Still think we needed a hard nut centre back of our own, but he's the next best thing. Quality distribution is a real plus, and is a big improvement defensively on Mulgrew and Rodwell. We don't have enough centre backs to take advantage of his versatility, and he is only on loan, but despite these minor gripes Tosin has been a great addition to the team.

Cunningham - N/A

He looked like he would be a good signing and boost the team but an injury early on means its unfair to rate him one way or another. Shame, as I suspect he would have made a big difference, but don't want to criticise or praise TM on an unknown.

Johnson - 4

Started brightly but quickly fades. Seems to be the story of his season and every time he plays (bar the last game).  A really promising start but attitude and lack of fitness have meant he's now below Evans, and I'm not sure he's much better in Bennett in that role too. Given his age means he's not a long term signing who will improve, and his overall lack of impact on the first team, this seems like a real waste of a wage. He's ok but given we had a couple of other players who can do a job as well if not better there, it doesn't seem like a step up improving the team. Funds would have been much better used supporting the defence then adding another ageing average centre mid in.

Holtby - 8

Not fully hit the ground running due to fitness issues, but then if he didn't have said issues he wouldn't be at Rovers. A quality player on the ball, and fits well into our system. Think as his fitness improves we'll see more from him and a bargain on a free. A very clever signing.

Downing - 9

A very clever signing. Not had a bad game yet, and done well in a couple of positions. He gives us balance and width on the left and a good supply of crosses for our strikers. He's also proved a reliable left back which is something we haven't had in the squad of late bar a brief dalliance with Cunningham. All in all, performing above and beyond expectations. Shame he is 35 and won't be around for that long. Had we got the rest of our transfer business right I feel that Downing would have been the final piece of the jigsaw that would push us towards promotion.

Chapman - 2

Not sure whether it's attitude or fitness but given TM has worked with him before, this can't have come as a surprise. So just a waste of a wage, which was entirely avoidable.

Gallagher - 4

Yes, there have been an improvement of late, and yes there are signs of hope. But we needed a replacement ready to take Graham's place and Gally isn't that (yet). Additionally only 3 goals isn't a great return for half a season. Not that TM helped by putting him on the wing on numerous occasions. There's  been a fair number of indifferent and poor performances up front and on the wing and given we spent most our budget on him, this really isn't the sort of return that you need. The money could have been spent better - especially on the defence and keeper position, and he hasn't performed like what we should get for a £5 million striker. That said given we own him and his age, the promising signs mean that he could develop and become a good player. The problem is that wasn't what we wanted/needed this season.

Overall imo another season of boom and bust. There are issues of the transfers we didn't do - namely a few more defenders and a back up keeper. It only took the Cunningham  injury for us to look very thin on the ground, whilst our current keeper is safe as houses regardless of how he plays as he has no competition/competent back up. The positive is that the successes have been very successful, and there haven't been any absolute expensive flops such as Whittingham and Bereton. Some may think I've been overly harsh on Gally and Johnson but I think when fees are considered and what was needed, then they haven't matched up to what is required. That said neither is the utter flop of previous expensive failures, and aren't liabilities, so perhaps that is a step in the right direction. Overall though another season of 50:50 in the transfer window from TM.

You are way off the mark with Walton. Pure case of something been said here and then others treating it as gospel and being unwilling to ever change their mind, contrary to the new evidence that is available

Cunningham should get a rating and a good one

Chapman was signed for the under 23s and why do people go on about the wage bill like they are paying it from their own pocket? I doubt he is even on that much.

4 for Gallagher harsh too, should be at least a 6.

Johnson has quality, we haven't had a midfielder in years who could have came in for a  game against Bristol and pretty much bossed the midfield. Hopefully we continue to see the best of him.

I would pretty much agree with the others.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Walton - 3

Tosin - 8

Cunningham - N/A

Johnson - 4

Holtby - 8

Downing - 9

Chapman - 2

Gallagher - 4

Walton scoring a 3, I think, is very harsh. I am one that thinks we should look at signing a keeper in January to be our new number 1 but only Casilla and Raya have kept more clean sheets.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are way off the mark with Walton. Pure case of something been said here and then others treating it as gospel and being unwilling to ever change their mind, contrary to the new evidence that is available

Not sure am way off the mark - although these things are always somewhat subjective - from what I have seen and heard there's been a number of clangers to say the least. The rating also factors in the situation letting a promising young keeper go, Walton being on loan hence no long term benefit and could return leaving us with a terrible keeper. In short the circumstances and performances contributed to that rating. 

it's hard to say how he would have done. I think he would have done well but plenty of players have started well and done badly and vice versa in my time of watching Rovers that I didn't want to judge too quickly. I'm not sure of so few games though we can say with certainty one way or the other. It's very hypothetical. 

Chapman was signed for the under 23s and why do people go on about the wage bill like they are paying it from their own pocket? I doubt he is even on that much.

Every penny counts and given he knew Chapman and he seems to have a host of issues it seems a poor signing regardless of level. 

might lean to a 5 but considering fee and what we needed I couldn't go any higher. He's certainly not no 1 striker at a mid table club quality as yet. 

Johnson has quality, we haven't had a midfielder in years who could have came in for a  game against Bristol and pretty much bossed the midfield. Hopefully we continue to see the best of him.

I hope we do too. But that is one game. Even Bell had a good game and am not rating him a good signing! He has promise but it hasn't as yet been fulfilled. And if it isn't going to be we might have well have invested elsewhere. Over the course of the half season he's only done a handful of decent games and I feel the money could be spent better elsewhere where there are more pressing needs. 

Good to see what other fans think regardless of whether agree or disagree. Hopefully this gives a bit more clarity as to why I rated as I did. ?

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Walton scoring a 3, I think, is very harsh. I am one that thinks we should look at signing a keeper in January to be our new number 1 but only Casilla and Raya have kept more clean sheets.

If we need to be looking at a new keeper than it seems to me Walton isn't doing the job we need him to - and therefore isn't a good signing. Again, part of this is the situation surrounding him being here as well as his performances. Thanks for the input ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wage considerations are a big part of it, I am sure you would have agreed had it been a Murphy or an Etuhu stuck on huge wages, that said Chapman was signed in January.

I dont know how you could give Gallagher at least a 6. Hes our big money signing and has 2 goals in 20 games. More often than not he has been ineffective.

Cunningham would get a 5 from me, his quality would have made him far higher than that had he not been injured shortly into his 8th game, including one major error at West Brom, this one is very unfortunate.

Walton has made numerous major errors, and Johnson has arguably been the biggest disappointment considering his track record. Holtby is our highest calibre signing but still no closer to finding his place in our team for all of his quality. All 5's for me.

As you imply, cant argue with the analysis on Adarabioyo and Downing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont know how you could give Gallagher at least a 6. Hes our big money signing and has 2 goals in 20 games.

He has always give his all compare that he is coming good and scoring. He is getting to the way we played but we barely created any clear cut chances for him during his time. 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Walton has made numerous major errors,

Yes he has made errors but he also has the 3rd highest number of clean sheets. 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Johnson has arguably been the biggest disappointment considering his track record

well we have been told the reason for that loss of form. Travelling to work from Derby area isn't good for him or his fitness

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

He has always give his all compare that he is coming good and scoring. He is getting to the way we played but we barely created any clear cut chances for him during his time. 

Yes he has made errors but he also has the 3rd highest number of clean sheets. 

well we have been told the reason for that loss of form. Travelling to work from Derby area isn't good for him or his fitness

Whatever his reasons and excuses are, you cant give a 5m striker 6 or more out of 10 if hes only scored 2 goals in 20 games. Giving his all is a minimum requirement. We have been through the fact that some of the onus regarding chance creation revolves around the attacker and his movement and anticipation, hence why Dack can score regularly in the same set up.

12 teams have conceded more goals than us, so only half the league. But I think our defence has been better this season, but our defensive record would be even better had Walton not made major errors v Preston, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Stoke off the top of my head. Hes done a few good things too but 5/10 is fair IMO.

Again, yes that may be part of the reason but that doesnt change the fact that he has not met expectations so far.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Whatever his reasons and excuses are, you cant give a 5m striker 6 or more out of 10 if hes only scored 2 goals in 20 games. Giving his all is a minimum requirement. We have been through the fact that some of the onus regarding chance creation revolves around the attacker and his movement and anticipation, hence why Dack can score regularly in the same set up.

12 teams have conceded more goals than us, so only half the league. But I think our defence has been better this season, but our defensive record would be even better had Walton not made major errors v Preston, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Stoke off the top of my head. Hes done a few good things too but 5/10 is fair IMO.

Again, yes that may be part of the reason but that doesnt change the fact that he has not met expectations so far.

I gave Walton 5 out of 10 in my review. 

I gave Gallagher 6 out of 10. His work rate is there and he is getting better for me in terms of getting used to the way we play. 

Well Mowbray has told you the reason why Johnson hasn't performed for us as well as people though. So it isn't part of the reason but actually the reason roversfan99

Derby fans are actually missing Johnson more than they thought they would be. The downside to what they did by loaning in all these top quality players is that they ultimately failed to get up, pissed off a lot of their permanent pros (ie Johnson) who lost out because they were brought in, and are now a shit ton weaker than they were last season.

Dont even think the Rooney effect will do much for them. Great player, great career but i dont think there is much left there now, especially for a league like the Championship.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

On 20/12/2019 at 14:24, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think people are rating Cunningham way more than he actually should be. He had an absolute stinker in 1 game where he got absolutely found out. 

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

I think people are rating Cunningham way more than he actually should be. He had an absolute stinker in 1 game where he got absolutely found out. 

He made that massive mistake when he had a mix up with Walton at West Brom and they equalised on the back of it, otherwise he was quite clearly a big improvement on the quality of our defence. That being said, he only played 7 games (was injured at the start of his 8th) so its impossible to justify a high mark. But his ability as a Championship left back is clearly there.

• Backroom
42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya,I didnt think he would. Reckon Mowbray got that one right. 

I never thought he was Championship quality, but he seemed to have enough about him to do a job in League 1. I didn't expect he'd end up at a struggling League 2 club. At 22 he still has time to improve but I figured he'd be good enough to do that at Blackpool - seems not!

• Like 2

I wonder after a couple of poor results whether this perhaps affects the overall view of some of our players? I find it always hard not to be overly influenced by runs - whether or good or bad. Perhaps now having reached our more accurate level (good but inconsistent) with a good undefeated streak but some dropped.points, this might be an easier time to assess the players? 

Especially after the Wigan game I'm tended to think perhaps I was overly harsh on Walton who made some great saves and perhaps isn't as poor as I thought. whereas the lack of Dack perhaps throws the lack of goal threat Gally offers into starker contrast. Johnson's performances again suggest however perhaps he isn't what he once was. 

Here's how I'd rate them:

Christian Walton- 6 (OP rating is way too harsh, he's made no fewer errors than Raya did and looks way more solid on crosses. I don't have the same fear when we get hoof-balled at the end of games as I did last season)

Tosin Abarabioyo - 7 (He's been class, Though I'm taking off a point as he's not our signing - so ultimately he is going to go back to City or somewhere else soon enough and we'll be back in the shit).

Bradley Johnson - 5 (Had a flash in the pan game with a great goal and an assist recently, but I won't let that gloss over that he's mostly looked like a liability and a lazy pie eater to boot)

Lewis Holtby - 6 (You could argue that he simply hasn't played enough to get his fitness and consistency up. He's looked good in patches, but mostly little end product).

Sam Gallagher - 5 (Meh, he's an almost zillion star striker and he's hardly scored any goals. He's looked alright occasionally and even shown a good turn of speed and he's a trier at least. One massive thing in his favour is that he's better than the zillion pound striker who shall remain nameless)

Stewart Downing - 7 (Admittedly he's been better than most of us thought, but I think some people's rating are a bit high - I remember that he looked absolutely knackered in at least a couple of games. Though yeah, he's been decent enough, playing in various positions).

Greg Cunningham - 5 (He was okay and looking like he could be a solid player before injury, better than our other option at left back. Though I think his absence has turned him into Roberto Carlos. Again, another loan signing  means he could be recalled at any time so I'm taking a point off)

Edited by Husky
  • Like 2

Gallagher is never a £5 million striker, even in these days of inflated fees. Three goals in half a season is pitiful, even if he has been shunted on the wing. He's just not threatening or dangerous, doesn't seem to get in positions to score and wins very little in the air for a tall player. I feel without dack and a new striker, which will never happen, the goals will dry up. The fact we could only muster a penalty against the weakest side I've seen at Ewood in years, in Birmingham, highlights this. I'd give him a 3. 

• Like 1

Gallagher - I don't mind him but like Brereton for that amount of money at this moment in time he just doesn't fit what we really need = verdict, find a system that suits his strengths after paying that fee.

Johnson - Solid, clearly has ability but clearly has fitness issues and legs on the way out.  Worth a punt if he's on modest wages which is very doubtful = Verdict, get him fit or he's Whittingham mk2

Downing - I was highly sceptical but proved a good signing although again for what its cost it's not one i'd have done. = Verdict, decent signing.

Holtby - Good player who again the manager hasn't got a scooby what to do with him or is just to reluctant to use him ahead of his favs. = verdict, good player who'll probably be a wasted signing.

Chapman - Sympathy signing, send him out on loan and forget about him, a contract for him and his agent, a mistake by the manager.

Walton - Settling down now but nothing more than Steelesqe imo.

• Like 1