BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best Rovers Festive Memory?

Firstly I'd like to wish all Rovers' fans a happy Christmas and a fantastic 2020.

What's your best remembered Rovers Christmas fixture?

After 55 years of watching Rovers, mine is 26th December 1977: nothing since has come remotely close...

It's hard to smile when you're 3 nil down, The Rovers giving you the run around.....

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 7

Just now, darrenrover said:

Firstly I'd like to wish all Rovers' fans a happy Christmas and a fantastic 2020.

What's your best remembered Rovers Christmas fixture?

After 55 years of watching Rovers, mine is 26th December 1977: nothing since has come remotely close...

It's hard to smile when you're 3 nil down, The Rovers giving you the run around.....

I have to agree with you Nick. It was a great day to be a Rovers fan over there on that day. I was in the Bee Hole with lots of other Rovers fans as we blew the Dingles away.

• Like 2

1977 was before my supporting time,best ones i remember were beating leeds 1-0 at home over christmas 1984 to go top of the league and tugays masterclass over gerrard and liverpool to give us a 1-0 win in circa 2006-2007,though in truth is should have been more.honourable mention to beating bolton away as well when the robbing **** charged us 38 quid a ticket,a dickov volley sending the notlobs into a sulk,best remembered for the train journey back to chorley,it was bouncing!!

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Vinjay said:

Probably the 1-0 win over Man United just before Christmas 2002.

Flitcroft, right?

Mine's an odd one, but I absolutely loved the famous 'Santa Cruz is coming to town' Wigan away game. I know we lost but that day was the most fun I've had as an away supporter.

• Like 2

Just now, Mike E said:

Flitcroft, right?

Mine's an odd one, but I absolutely loved the famous 'Santa Cruz is coming to town' Wigan away game. I know we lost but that day was the most fun I've had as an away supporter.

mostly remembered by me for clattenberg the ref simply guessing at  decisions,santa cruz running off wearing  a santa hat after scoring and some completely inept defending by us,i agree with you,it was a great day out

Most already covered in here, Tugay against Liverpool in 06, beating Utd in 02, Leeds on boxing day in 92.

Couple more I'd like to throw in are -

Man City and Palace away in 94, two huge wins on the way to the title.

Alan Shearer scoring his 100th goal for Rovers against Spurs in 95.

2000 against this years opponents Birmingham, superb solo Matt Jansen goal before slamming in an injury time winner in front of the Blackburn end.

• Like 2

Being at Turf Moor 1977.  Nothing has come close to eclipsing that one for me.  Terrific game and terrific atmosphere - and we all got there under our own stream without it being a military operation!  Other end of the scale was turning up at Ewood a couple of days after the Boxing Day 8-2 win at Upton Park and expecting to see double figures only for West Ham to win 3-1 - the joys of following Rovers!.  

• Like 2

It has to be Turf Moor in '77 for me too.

This is the one I always told my kids about. Snowy pitch, orange ball, Imperious Rovers is blue shorts, excitement and joy, as Waggy rounded the Burnley keeper, Fear's penalty miss, which could have made it 4-then wracked with anxiety as they got two back, before relief and total joy, 

That is what being a Rovers fan is all about. And I haven't been to Turf Moor, since the police started their OTT operation.

Special place also in my heart for Halifax away on Boxing Day '71. Furphy's Rovers revival, huge Rovers following, John McNamee's winning goal and the floodlights going out

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 3

Turf Moor Boxing Day 1963. I was queueing up at the turnstile to get on to watch them play the Red Rats. That's what football mad lads did then. You'd go where ever there was a game. Anyway two Dingles were chatting in front of me in the queue, one said to the other " What about bloody Rovers this morning ? Just bloody won at West Ham 8-2 " . I said " Are you sure ? "

He replied  " Sure I'm sure, it was on the news earlier ".

This was prior to the mass news technology revolution. I didn't even know we'd played that morning, I was expecting our game to kick off at 3-00 pm like all the other games.

Not living in Blackburn anymore these were the days you'd open the morning paper and find out we'd played the night before !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Our 1-0 win at Turf Moor when Olsson dived and Dunn slotted the resulting penalty. 
Having had to be at Ewood for 9am and be bussed in like a criminal, it was all worth it!

Does the end of March still count as the festive season? ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Our 1-0 win at Turf Moor when Olsson dived and Dunn slotted the resulting penalty. 
Having had to be at Ewood for 9am and be bussed in like a criminal, it was all worth it!

Wasn’t that in about March?

The 2000 fixture at Turf Moor was this time of year though, 17 years since our last meeting, it was absolutely febrile in the pubs round Ewood waiting for the coaches and then on the ground.

• Like 1

The beauty of the one in December 2000 was that it was a 4pm KO, and the coaches weren't compulsory.

What on earth happened that day for the over the top rediculous restrictions to be put in place afterwards apart from them lot going into Burnley uptown centre and smashing up woolies etc?

Edited by MarkBRFC