BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield Town 29.12.19

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Good stat. If we have genuine intentions of breaking the top 6, we should be going there tomorrow expecting a win. No being happy with a draw, we are playing the worst home team in the League.

We played the worst team home and away last weekend and couldn’t even score.

7 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Honestly, he's struggling to get on the same wavelength as our very limited squad.

You saw it on his debut and it's continued since - he sees passes that his teammates don't, which is why they don't make the run.

He's also shoved out wide because Mowbray doesn't dare not play two destroyers in CM. People wonder why we're so stilted in attack, look no further than the CMs we employ - who don't know how to pass a ball forwards. 

When Travis first came in he was a breath of fresh air. A huge upgrade on Lowe, forward passes, taking the ball forward, high energy, all-action tackles and alway looking to make something happen.

He seems different these days, more conservative. Like he has been moulded into Mowbray’s type of CM. Players don’t shine for long under this regime. It’s all about the team work ethic then find Dack and he’ll finish. Well somebody else needs that remit now.

• Like 4

Aside from around four players I haven't a clue who will play or what formation we will play. Is it because Mowbray likes to keep the opposition guessing or because he really doesn't know his best team or the best system suited to his best eleven. In my opinion it's the latter.

And it's because of this I haven't a clue what the result will be but I expect some of his natural caution to influence his selection.

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Aside from around four players I haven't a clue who will play or what formation we will play. Is it because Mowbray likes to keep the opposition guessing or because he really doesn't know his best team or the best system suited to his best eleven. In my opinion it's the latter.

And it's because of this I haven't a clue what the result will be but I expect some of his natural caution to influence his selection.

In fairness prior to the festive season taking hold he did seem to be picking a more settled team (much to the relief of us lot). I think he has too much faith in his fringe players more than anything, whilst it's good if your a player that the manager believes in you, some just aren't good enough and it unsettles the balance of the team.

We need to hobble over the line at Forest, then I'd play an experimental team at Brum in the cup. After that 2 really tough games against Preston and Sheff Weds, by which point he needs to stop the chopping and changing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

When Travis first came in he was a breath of fresh air. A huge upgrade on Lowe, forward passes, taking the ball forward, high energy, all-action tackles and alway looking to make something happen.

He seems different these days, more conservative. Like he has been moulded into Mowbray’s type of CM. Players don’t shine for long under this regime. It’s all about the team work ethic then find Dack and he’ll finish. Well somebody else needs that remit now.

Ah so when Mowbray doesnt start Travis,hes wrong and then when he starts him and he doesnt play as well as people hoped, well obviously that's mowbrays fault too. Some fans are so blinkered against mowbray that they cant look at things objectively at all. Travis poor performances are on 1 person ,himself. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah so when Mowbray doesnt start Travis,hes wrong and then when he starts him and he doesnt play as well as people hoped, well obviously that's mowbrays fault too. Some fans are so blinkered against mowbray that they cant look at things objectively at all. Travis poor performances are on 1 person ,himself. 

Nail on the head

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amo said:

Since we aren’t privy to things behind the scenes, we have to call it as we see it. Chapman’s had some good games for the U23's and some not so good but is he any worse than those who get picked week in, week out? We have few proper wingers. Having him on the bench at least would give us a different dimension. Mowbray’s usual answer is like-for-like or shunt a striker out wide. 

Samuel was a case in point soon as he was fit he had a good game for the U23's and he was back in the squad, albeit temporarily. That guy has had about half a dozen good games in his entire time here.  

Chapman has been frozen out before his real Rovers career has begun. If he's been a pain in the arse send him on loan lower down to think on his sins or threaten to sack him. Simple.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
59 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Whilst I fundamentally agree with what you’re saying, Travis certainly was more dynamic when he came into the team than he is now.

I do agree his performances haven’t been as good of late, but you always get 100% from him.

As it goes, if Travis hadn’t been following Mowbray’s instructions, I don’t think he would be in the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wind your neck in. Having watched Travis - a lot - that’s my assessment. Yes, early on when he was playing well and being that positive force he was dropped and I was critical. Now he is less forward-thinking he plays more regularly.

Things change over time.

Attack-minded players don’t stand out for long in Mowbray’s teams. They assimilate or they are dropped. That’s not being blinkered, that’s what happens.

Maybe you have a different opinion, rather than just another not-so-veiled pop at me. I didn’t think your recent form would last.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

Whilst I fundamentally agree with what you’re saying, Travis certainly was more dynamic when he came into the team than he is now.

I do agree his performances haven’t been as good of late, but you always get 100% from him.

As it goes, if Travis hadn’t been following Mowbray’s instructions, I don’t think he would be in the team.

One of the biggest criticisms of Travis play has been his poor passing. Thats on him.

As for being less dynamic, again, not sure what mowbray can do about that. The players have their fitness programmes. Maybe playing men's football is just more difficult week in week out.

He gives 100% alright but the way people were talking about him,I expected more. I read an article on Sky sports news last week about who are the top young players in the championship. Travis did not get a mention and I didn't see anyone complaining about that. 

I acknowledge the way we play does somewhat limit what the cms do,but Travis has underwhelmed regardless of that imo 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Stuart said:

Wind your neck in. Having watched Travis - a lot - that’s my assessment. Yes, early on when he was playing well and being that positive force he was dropped and I was critical. Now he is less forward-thinking he plays more regularly.

Things change over time.

Attack-minded players don’t stand out for long in Mowbray’s teams. They assimilate or they are dropped. That’s not being blinkered, that’s what happens.

Maybe you have a different opinion, rather than just another not-so-veiled pop at me. I didn’t think your recent form would last.

See above and stop being a baby 

18 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Mowbray himself did say they were looking to drill a more conservative approach into him OR in other words drill out of him that youthful fearless stuff. 

Modern day robotic approach sadly, he might become a better 3 yard sideways and backwards passer but at what price ?  We don't want a midfield full of Corry Evans we need a nice mixture, the one that was shaping up with Tav playing his game and Evans doing his stuff.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

One of the biggest criticisms of Travis play has been his poor passing. Thats on him.

As for being less dynamic, again, not sure what mowbray can do about that. The players have their fitness programmes. Maybe playing men's football is just more difficult week in week out.

He gives 100% alright but the way people were talking about him,I expected more. I read an article on Sky sports news last week about who are the top young players in the championship. Travis did not get a mention and I didn't see anyone complaining about that. 

I acknowledge the way we play does somewhat limit what the cms do,but Travis has underwhelmed regardless of that imo 

This just proves the point. A less attack-minded Travis plays more under Mowbray and is less effective.

Pretty much sums things up for several players. Including the reverse argument.

I can't see this being a classic. Hoping they are terrible and grinding out a point or a lucky win is our hope. A point would be dissapointing and only serve to keep Mowbray's run and ego going. 3 draws in a row is obviously the same points wise as winning 1 and losing 2. It's pretty much mid table borefest form. I'd rather play to win and lose unluckily from a psychological point of view.

The bubble has burst. Our Talisman is out, the weak minded players are all devastated, the negative manager has a ready made excuse for the season petering out into mediocrity.

We have strikers that can't score. We have a team that doesn't seem to know what they are doing most of the time as they don't play together in a known system. There's no hope regarding an upcoming transfer window. We're seemingly relying on a guy that's hardly been given a chance suddenly morphing into the new Dack (Buckley). There's more than just speculation about our best player leaving (Tosin).

It's not looking good. The end is nigh.

If Huddersfield want this game they will take it. I was going to say 2-1, but I suspect we'll set up very negatively and as we're a team without any real goalscorers - where are our goals going to come from? We are even really crap at set pieces so it's not like we can even play 'that kind of game'.

1-0 to them.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Travis has come from the youth team, and established himself by becoming much more solid, less likely to foul, savvy in possession, better reader of the game and he now is one of the first on the team sheet.

Nothing subjective about that and many people, notably himself and the coaching staff should take pride in what he’s achieved so far.

Utterly befuddling to even consider his development as anything but positive so far, but agenda wielding and spin are the everyday tactic for the modern condescending “know it all” football fan, who would’ve had Trav in the England squad by now..!

Anyone considered they have got used to what he is very good at, thus find it easy to spot criticise little errors or decisions? Or perhaps comparing his play against better opposition than u23s? Or perhaps looked at the difference he has in partnership with other midfielders eg Evans, Johnson, Smallwood etc?

• Like 2